+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Question Feeling guilty about antibiotics

My doctor has prescribed me Erythromycin for a really bad chest infection (wheezing cough etc). Im on 2 tablets in the morning and 2 at night and i feel so guilty every time i take them - they are apparantly 'safe' during pregnancy - has anyone out there taken them and is there any effects on the baby?

Thanks
    Reviews

Red face Antibiotics

I took 2 - 3 courses of antibiotics during my pregnancy for UTI's because if I didn't get rid of the UTI it could have brought on premature labour. I also needed penicilin during labour for the GBS bacteria (4 doses). I have a beautiful healthy girl who is now 15 mths. She is RARELY sick, I believe that's a good indicator of the effects. There is no guarantee but healthy mum means healthy baby so you do need to look after yourself first - obviously avoiding antibiotics if you can.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hi

Know how you feel about taking stuff during pregnancy. I had to take a course of antibiotics with my first child while pregnant. He is now 5 and perfectly healthy. He has gorgeous movie star teeth I thought the main concern with taking antibiotics while pregnant was that it could lead to yellow and stained teeth in the child. Anyway my boy has perfect teeth No problems there.

Easterlily

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Elfin For This Useful Post:

Frankenmum (04-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had to take heaps of things during pg, one was a C category...I was really upset, but Grace is fine, 14mths, walking and a real smartie, so dont stress.

HTH

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I can understand how it may make you feel a bit guilty, I felt guilty at the thought of taking a panadol lol. being preg with all those hormones don't help your thoughts and emotions either!!

It will be fine! Trust me!! If it wasnt, your doc would not have said so! Try telling yourself that you need to be well, so your baby can grow in the very best womb in the world!

Good Luck!

Thanks
    Reviews

Thumbs up antibiotics

I'm pretty sure I had to have a course of them whilst I was pregnant and was told they were fine for bubs and Lachlan is fine....as long as you trust your doctor (ie. have used him/her for a bit and he/she knows your pregnant etc.) then I think that's fine...

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Thanks!

Thanks to everyone for your helpful advice - ive finished the course of antibiotics but this damn chest infection is still around - my doc said i dont need another course of antibiotics (thank God!) however i am taking duro tuss occasionally to reduce the coughing.......thanks again all!