+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default when to stop swaddling/moving baby to own room/cot

Hi all,

A bit of advice needed, my little girl was 6 months old last week and i am a little concerned that people keep telling me that i should not be swaddling/wrapping the baby up anymore.

She also sleeps in our room in a bori matilda rocking crib ( small size cot)

If we do not swaddle the baby she will just not go asleep, she kicks her legs up and down, thrashes her arms about, takes her dummy out ect.

If i go up and wrap her she falls asleep in seconds and will sleep 7 till 7!

I am just not sure what other people have done, what age did bub go into a big cot/own room and when did people stop swaddling the baby?

i am not sure what to tackle first, do i put er into her own room/cot swaddled then ween her off that or do i ween her off the swaddling in her small cot in our room before moving her to her own room?

or kill 2 birds with 1 stone and put her unwrapped into her own room cot all in 1?

any advice would be great

Gail

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Is it upseting you that she is in your room and swadled? Is it upseting her to be in your room and swadled? Is it causing developmental delay etc etc ???

If the answers to these questions are no, then leave her where she is and keep on doing what is right for you and bub. There is no correct answer to this question!!
    I think the fact that she is sleeping 7 til 7 is fantastic! Keep it up!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    It doesn't bother me that she is in our room at all, or that she is swaddled and yes its so great that she sleeps so well.

Its just i worry about the day i do have to move her into her own room and people say about separation anxiety.

I have a friend that comes over and says "is she in her own room yet?" and when i say no i get THE LOOK!!
    as if she is too old to be in my bedroom and also the swaddling thing is a little bad when its 40+ degrees.

I just wonder if anyone else has a baby that is the same age and is still wrapping baby up

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I stopped swaddling at around 6 months because my dd had rolled and wedged herself into the side of the cot and obviously couldn't roll back as she was wrapped. I stopped with ds as soon as he could roll. I personally think they should be in a cot with the sides up when they can sit.
    They re-adjust pretty quickly, I found both my kids were fine in a day or 2 - with dd I put her at the end of the cot with the sheet pulled pretty tight around her tummy/ribs so she still felt that safe/tight feeling, with ds I just popped him in the cot and hoped for the best
    So yeah if I were you, I reckon just do it all at once.

Thanks
    Reviews
    But 7-7!! Not sure if i'd wanna mess with that

Thanks
    Reviews
    bugger what other people think! If you are happy and she is happy then keep it up I say If you want to stop swaddling though, I found the best way of doing it was gradually. Left one arm out for a few nights, then the other arm, then swaddled just his bottom half in a grobag. I now just pop him straight in the grobag and he's fine...