+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default what is "natural ivf" and what other types are there?

Hi,

My DH has a blockage causing a zero sperm count. We will probably need to have IVF with ICSI (unless surgery can fix it??). I have a "perfect" 28 day cycle. Is natural IVF appropriate when you can predict ovulation? I understand the levels of drugs involved can vary, when are different hormones etc appropriate?

Of course, we will discuss this with the IVF clinic (we are in Brisbane, thinking Wesley IVF??). But I wanted to ask about others experiences and thoughts. I really appreciate it. These are all such big decisions, and I know we will ultimately do whatever it takes ...

Thanks xxo

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm doing IVF for male factor reasons, but we use a stimulated cycle not a natural one. The aim was to get enough embryos to implant and to freeze (we transferred one and froze 6). I was on the lowest dose possible and even then my Estrogen numbers became quite high. Luckily I didn't develop OHSS because my FS kept a very close eye on things and was very aware of the risks.

The thing about IVF is that even though the FS is confident it will work for us, he said that it still might take a few goes. Like my FS says, it's not a magic pill. But we're still trying

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    if u are doing icsi u arent doing a natural cycle.
    i am a bit confused actually what u mean by a natural cycle.
    the only time i have heard of a natural ivf cycle is when u have a frozen cycle not a stimulated cycle.
    if am wrong then someone please correct me but i havent ever heard of icsi being natural ivf.

heather

ps good luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Pronatural,

Not sure if I can help with your questions but just wanted to say hi and let you know that ther is also a thread for all of the Brissy girls if you haven't seen it yet... http://www.bubhub.com.au/community/f...225742&page=17

We're all meeting for lunch this Sunday at Coorparoo - East Leagues Club if you felt like joining us for a chat with local girls about IVF and their experiences...

Jodes

Thanks
    Reviews
    Natural IVF is where no drugs are given, a single egg (naturally produced by the body) is allowed to ripen, then it is removed - fertilised in the lab and then reintroduced back into the womb like conventional IVF. This is an option for women who have natural cycles and ovulate every cycle, if for some reason they can't or don't want to use drugs to hyperstimulate (produce more than one egg). Obviously the up side is no drugs, the downside is that you only get one egg each time and that one has to fertilise and to take after ET.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks a lot for the help,

I really wanted to confirm that there is such a "natural" option for ovulation. For ages I have been trying to do everything "right", before we knew we have a male factor problem, and I would love to go with natural ovulation. But I look at all the eggs that stimulated IVF produce and the odds of it working, and then consider the prospect of only having one chance with natural - but then all it takes is one, hey.

Do any of you know of anyone having success with natural ovulation??

Thanks a lot Jodes for letting me know about the Brisbane group. Unfortunately we are usually out of town on weekends but I would love to make it to meet with you all when I can, thanks again.

cheers, it is great to have people going through this to discuss it with

xxo

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't know what the odds are with natural. I chose a stimulated cycle to increase my odds and to avoid having to go through the procedure too many times as I find it can be stressful on the emotions and wallet. It is all very exciting though as well!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Nikki08,

Yeah, I am sure that the emotional and financial stress will sway me towards having stimulated IVF.

We are so much happier since we know what the problem is (it took my very DH a looong time to get tested. I am sorry for him for the grief I gave him about the delay!)

We are really excited, and also might not go with surgery or "natural" IVF because we have waited so long already!!

good luck to us all however we do it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Pronatural - just a word on natural cyles - I had same as you, a 'perfect' 28 days cycle and no fertility issues whatsoever, and still responded very poorly to a medicated cycle - they got 20 eggs but we only ended up with 3 that were usable - thing is you never know what your egg quality is going to be like, or how well they will fertilise etc...

I don't think it has anything to do with how good or normal you cycle is - I would be choosing the medicated to give yourself the bext chance - besides I am pretty sure with ICSI (which is what you would have to do) they would have youon medicated anyway!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi again Pronatural

Unfortunately i don't think you will get to do a "natural" cycle as the problem you have is DH sperm......like us, so you will probably have to do an ICSI cycle where they put the sperm into the egg. I don't think they would do IVF for you as it would be a waste of time and money as DH sperm wouldn't be of good enough quality to fertilize the egg on its own........(just my opinion) as we have the same problem. Good luck though.