+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I will only buy meat if its on special and dont like to pay more than $10 a kilo. If there is nothing on special its mince, chicken legs or wings, sausages etc. Usually you can get cheap cuts of meat like casserole beef etc.

I have a slow cooker which is great to casseroles and to cook that cheap meat.

I make a lot of soup using either the cheap beef or the lamb chump chops which are usually pretty cheap too, just chuck them in with stock and veges and whatever else you want and BINGO!

I make quite a few of the meals already suggested too, Spag Bog, lasagne, shephards pie, chowmein, bangers and mash etc etc.

Oh an idea with chicken. I often buy chicken legs and boil them in water until cooked. I then use the water (strained) as stock and freeze it and I take the chicken off the bone in chunks and use it in my chicken dishes.

Chicken and sweet corn soup is really easy and yummy and you can use the boiled chicken and the stock. It tastes better than the one you buy from the chinese shop.

One of my fave things to do when I want something quick is homemade pizza. We have a quick easy pizza dough which takes less than 5 mins to make and doesnt need to rest, then you just chuck whatever you want on top and stick it in the oven. The kids only like ham or bacon and cheese on theirs so thats easy and we always have bacon at least (I only buy it in bulk when on special, picnic bacon is good and cheap for pizzas).

If anyone is looking for a good pizza dough recipe:

410g plain flour
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 tablespoon caster sugar
    7g dried active baking yeast
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    1 cup warm water

combine flour, salt, sugar and yeast in bowl. Mix in oil and warm water. Spread or pat out onto a pan and top as desired.

Depending on how thick you like your pizza base you may like to increase or decrease this mixture. But this makes about 2 large size pizzas for us and we have the base thin to medium thickness.

We have a family of 4, nearly to be 5 and we spend approximately $100 a week on our groceries. I shop every 2 - 3 weeks. Although I usually pick up some more milk in the middle somewhere.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jag5000 View Post
    TysonsMummy - he's a picky one isn't he??

btw.. just have to add I love your signature! LMAO
    Yes, he sure is! Luckily my mum is a bit clued up on what he will and won't eat so she knows what to cook when we go there.

Oh, and yeah, I thought my sig was quite appropriate for the Hub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Pastry is my tip...I always have some filo or puff pastry in my freezer....if there is left over casserole, curry or stew etc it goes into a puff pastry triangle and is served with some vegies and salad...and bam dinner is done with minimal effort and cost! I have been adding potato to casseroles and curries etc to bulk it up so there is always leftovers for the next night.

Another one is using cous cous. It is so cheap and easy to prepare and is a geat side dish with some vegies or salad.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Sausage rolls! Always a winner with my DS, cheap and a great way to hide vegetables!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Tuna patties,
    homemade pizza,
    rice and beans in tacos with taco sauce

Thanks
    Reviews

Red face Leftover sausages

I have budget cooking idea that I have used for years....
    I always cook sausages on Monday nights but I cook a few extra, then the following night I use those extra few sausages in a stew or as a pizza topping or some other creative way.
    Its kinda fun thinking of ways to use leftover sausages and you would be surprised at how many ways it can be done.
    Just an idea and it will save you time and money!

Thanks
    Reviews
    We do a silverside/roast once a week in winter and use the left over meat for sandwhiches or a hot lunch the next day... i know they can be expensive to buy but you can get more then one meal out of them if u serve them wisely... eg. with lots of veg... sometime we even do a potato bake as u can reheat it the next day for lunch or next night as side dish

Thanks
    Reviews
    Another idea is if you have a small amount of casserole or stew in the freezer, you can extend it to more serves by adding frozen vegies and some tinned chopped tomatoes.
    Serve with rice or crusty bread....

Thanks
    Reviews
    My boys love my ham and cheese scrolls.. $3 worth of diced bacon and $3 (use half) worth of tasty cheddar cheese, plus self raising flour, butter, milk and pizza sauce makes 12 scrolls which are very filling.

I also make my own schnitzels. Chicken breasts can make 3-4 as opposed to paying $3.50 each from deli or more from the freezer section. I also buy chicken in bulk from the deli when its on special and separate and put in freezer.

I also freeze bacon and obviously peas for fried rice.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Chow Mein - can hide veggies in it!

Cook onion til it's clear, brown some mince. add 1 1/2 tsp curry powder, add a sachet of powdered chicken noodle soup (homebrand works the best!). Add a bit of water (a few cups)...
    add shredded cabbage and grated carrot (plus you can put in pineapple, capsicum.. random veggies grated/finely chopped)...
    cover with water and boil until it is all soft.
    tastes WONDERFUL and is very cheap to make.