+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Uniquey View Post
    That's the problem, I can't stop at one, especially with 2kgs worth.

I decided to follow Mothersmilk's lead and get DH to hide them, especially as when my blood sugar level drops I start craving sweet things which I never have before, and then was dipping into the DL!
    The countries at risk were interesting, totally makes sense, as it's definitely an acquired taste.
    I know what you mean.
    I'm notorious for getting my hubby to hide them then begging him for some an hour later
    Darn you dutch licorice why do you have to be so delicious

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I read 'dutch licorice' and just had to see what this thread was about! I'm addicted to it by having a dutch father.

Anyway, I had dutch licorice during my 3 pg's and whilst bf 3, there's been no side effects - none of my boys were underweight, the smallest being 7lb11oz and the largest being 10lbs (maybe from the licorice!).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sonlou73 View Post
    the largest being 10lbs (maybe from the licorice!).

We're getting a bit of a 'dutch licorice fanclub' happening .

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    good to see. I love DL and don't know anyone else who does.

it's not guaranteed to do bad stuff but raises the chances of things i mentioned earlier happening...so cold turkey for me until my bub is older.

On te plus side I haven't heard anything bad about spekelas or strautwaffle (spelling?)

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's nice to find people who like DL too - nobody i know in real life does. (the plus side is i never have to share )

I remember when i was a kid no where near me sold it so i asked the local deli if they could stock it. They did and i started going there to get my DL fix - then one day i walked in and no more licorice "What happened?" i asked.
    "We had to stop ordering it as you were the only person buying it" they say

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Ohhh I want some, I want some!!
    DH is dutch but doesn't know where I can get my hands on some of this yummy licorice goodness *salivates*....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by wocket View Post

On te plus side I haven't heard anything bad about spekelas or strautwaffle (spelling?)
    Too true, and did you know that Aldi actually sell Spekelaas sometimes.

Mothersmilk, that story is too cute! We used to have a dutch man drive around the neighbourhood in a van selling all kinds of dutch stuff, but then we moved, so my parents would buy it at Myers and it used to cost heaps for a piddly little 300gms or something. My Dad just buys it at the Confectionary warehouse now.
    And you're right about not knowing many people in real life who eat it, I remember my friends trying some and spitting it out and carrying on as though it was poison and I used to get so mad because it was such a waste (I could have eaten it) and I knew how much it used to cost.

pookiesossige, Our Woolworths/Safeway sell some DL in the lolly section, mainly just the DZ ones in the roll and sometimes the black little cats. David Jones in the confectionary section, and most delis now stock it.