+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I reckon if all the other aspects of your life make your reasonably happy, then there is no major reason why being filthy rich wouldn't just complete you.

Saying that, I think there is a reason that there's that saying... 'money is the root of all evil' or something or rather...

With my life as it is now, I wouldn't mind having a bit of money to throw around. But as I've always said, if I ever won the lotto, the first thing I'd buy is a house for my mummy - that would make me happier than any amount of money.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think it does help..

Poor
    While when you have barely any money you take alot more care in the things you do.. and value them alot more.. eg birthdays, holidays etc.

Rich
    It just makes life easier.. you dont owe people money you dont live off a pay check week to week.. etc.

I would rather start off having money troubles then get rich eg win lottery so you do have that knowing what its like to have none..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yes.

If you have struggled then you will know that it is so stressful. It makes you unhappy and then because you are unhappy you are stressed and the kids are affected by it, relationships are affected by it.

As long as there is a balance of family, living and money, I think it is great.

Thanks
    Reviews
    No, it does NOT. But it does amuse me when people say that it does.

I dont know how paper that is used as an exchange for goods and services could make you happy.

I wonder if anybody has been on there death bed snuggling up with their bank balance.

Money makes my life less stressful when it comes to paying bills...but that is it...that is where it ends.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    there was a survey in the paper a couple of years ago which concluded that money doesn't buy happiness once you get over a certain income level. (actually, I think the figures are in a book from a couple of years ago, Affluenza).

I think they split it up into income brackets, and found that there was a lot of unhappiness on very low income (ie. those where it was a struggle to pay for necessities).

But there wasn't much of a jump in happiness levels from an average individual income (about $50k?) to a higher income.

My partner I both work part time to enable us to care for our son and for my partner to study full time. We are no less happy than when we both worked full time.

We have enough money to pay a modest mortgage, eat out sometimes and go on the occasoinal domestic holiday. We are very frugal with buying consumer items though.

I would like to earn more, but am not willing to work the long hours to do so.

I think when people ask whether more money would make them happier, they mean more money from a source other than work, as long work hours generally suck the joy from the money!
    Last edited by MsMummy; 16-02-2009 at 13:16.

OJandMe is offline I am the strength my children will have.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Yep. It can.

Lol... depends what you buy with your money.

For me right now.. Money would buy a cook, a housekeeper and a regular babysitter every fortnight for one evening.. and a meal out... not even expensive.

Money could buy a night nanny.. someone to get up with the kids when they wake before 6:00am.

Money could buy a bigger house with a bigger yard for the kids to play in.. and a space for adults only.. like a private loungeroom.

I'm pretty 'happy' but could be much much happier with a few things to make life a bit more enjoyable..

More things that would allow us all to have a bit of space and peace. And free up time, so I can have quality time with the kids.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MsMummy View Post
    I think when people ask whether more money would make them happier, they mean more money from a source other than work, as long work hours generally suck the joy from the money!
    Or an increase in my salary just cause they think I am so wonderful!

Thanks
    Reviews
    No I don't believe that money can buy happiness..........
    BUT..........if someone has a few spare million $$ I am willing to give it a try

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think self awareness and acheiving goals in life makes you happy, not material possesions. I want to go to Italy with my husband one day and leisurley wonder about from one beautiful place to another and see parts of the world that I cant imaginge are real at the moment. When I have the money to do that I will be very happy. The money is what allowed it to happen, the experience is what makes me happy.

I think people work out what they want the most when they do not have it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think to an extent it can.

Me and DH used to live on nothing, but we stressed about money all the time. There were times where I didn't know if I would be working that day or not, and I was supposed to be the main income earner (DH was a 2nd year apprentice). When you are stressed, particularly about your survival, then you are not happy, and then you fight.

Now we are in a better position, but we are much happier.

Money is one of the main causes of divorce. And generally not because a couple have too much, but because they have too little. The strain of struggling can be huge on a marriage.

Without it you can't survive. Simple as that.

I doubt that anyone could honestly say that if they won the powerball and had all their bills paid off, including the house, and they never had to worry again, that they wouldn't be happy.

Of course the things that make me happy every day are DH and the kids, and I believe that is what people should put into perspective.