Closed Thread
Page 54 of 100 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    poppetfish - how are you today? hope things are getting better now

jackson84 - copy and paste

sara - i hope alex goes well when he gets his tonsils out. poor thing

is there ANYTHING i can do to help my son cope out with large loud crowds?

i have a wedding coming up in november and i may have to just not go if he cant cope.

advice? i hope i can get some sort of therapy to help him with that

oh i was watching "unlocking autism" and have a few questions for you all

What percentile is your childs head on? what i mean is it bigger then what is considered normal? for those that have had a mri has their child had an enlarged part of the brain?

and has anyone heard of oxygene therapy? anyone done it?

TIA

im sure theres more but its taped and i havent finished watching it

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Ladies
    So sorry I have been Missing in action. Pete is doing well and so are we we are just having the house painted and new carpets put down. This means i will be unable to get on here in the next 2 weeks. I hope every one is well and good luck to Sara and poor Alex. Getting the tonsils out is great. He has been too sick to have them left in. I have been working lots and have been packing up the house after work. I must say it looks so messy with boxes every where. I will be so happy after it is done. Peter has had fun today helping daddy put up his new fort. Well must go and get kids to bed. I will be back soon I hope. Take care all you lovely ladies. Letitia.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thankyou studymumof2 things were better today but DS is still tantruming all the time when we are at home. He is so quiet and calm when we are out but at home it is really bad. I have bruises all down my right hand side from restraining him so he doesn't hurt himself.

I have speech therapy next week for the first time and hopefully they will tell me if they can help DS or if he has to go back to the hospital and get an official dx so we can get the funding to send him to EI.

Also DS does have a HUGE head. I wear the same size hats as him. My DH's head is too big to wear baseball caps and the like so i think he takes after him. He has had an MRI but it was when he was 2 months old and that was to see if there was any damage from excess fluid around his brain. Ds's head percentile is 140% but his height is 95% and his weight is 130% so all in proportion to him IYKWIM

Does anyone else go to playconnect? I have been taking laurence and I think it is so cute that there is another child there that acts the same as DS and they look normal together.
    Last edited by Poppetfish; 12-08-2009 at 20:33.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    poppetfish - thank you for sharing that about your son. i dont take seth to a playconnect playgroup because the nearest one to me is a 40mins drive. in which both my kids would fall asleep so i dont go

i do meet up with other people but no kids that are like him.(if that makes sence) he loves being out except in large loud crowds in which he blocks his ears or starts screaming over them

we went out today and he actually sat still on a big boy chair and ate a whole gluten free muffin with daddys help to cut it

i havent measured my son because im scared that if and when i do he will be the same height as he was at the doctors and i will fret more that hes not growing hes now small for his age and nearly 13kilos. (me and dh are not tall but the pead is a bit worried if he isnt taller at the next checkup)

need to do a small grocery shop today, its a beautiful sunny 28deg here. yet im not really happy

Thanks
    Reviews
    I also forgot to say that I have magic words to use with Laurence if he starts getting "bad" in public. I whisper really quietly in his ear "I love you." He cracks up laughing and i keep doing it until he is calm. It works for me. Maybe try something similiar?

I think it works because i have distracted him by making him focus on what i am saying. IYKWIM? I then give him a drink of water.
    Last edited by Poppetfish; 13-08-2009 at 14:12.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi all, my name is lisa...I am mum of 3, luke adam and hannah. Adam, my middle child age 6, has been diagnosed with autism. We had known since an early age (around 18months) that adam had "issues" and initially we thought he had aspergers, but after an assesment at aspect it was made clear to us that adam was defintely autistic. At first I was in shock, and then angry.....that it was not picked up on earlier (but I suppose this comes with comming from a rural area????)

I have listed here a few of adam's traits......

* Very active

· great with computers, will do things on there in a way that we may see as “complex” rather than the easy way, then when I ask him why didn’t you do it the easy way…he will say that he has done it the easy way!!

· Fantastic with numbers. You can write the numbers from 1 to 10 in any order (and sometimes higher depends how awake he is) and he will put them in the right order, and tell you the numbers as he goes. You can go up to 15 if he is wide awake and feeling co-operative he is now age 6 and can count well beyond 100

* does NOT know the alphabet, doesn’t recognise any letters although he does recognise his name. – this is improving since starting big school

· He had been going to preschool for 2 years and still knows none of the other children’s names, although he does try very hard to make friends. Now at big school….still struggling with friends – just doesn’t seem to know “how” to play.

· Doesn’t lie, or rarely lies. Tells the occasional fib if he thinks he is going to get into “big trouble” but if you reassure him he is not in trouble he always tell the truth, or changes the subject rather than answering any questions.

· Prefers to play on his own, or chat with adults rather than other children. If he is with a group of children and they won’t do things he wants to do he will wander off on his own or find a grown up to talk to instead.

· Very rarely maintains eye contact, even when constantly encouraged

· Is a very serious little boy, with a strange sense of humour

· If someone hurts themselves he will nearly always laugh at them (unless there is blood then he becomes very distressed)

· Is very disruptive at preschool, and if annoyed will become quiet aggressive very defiante also

· Gets along better with teenagers or adults rather than other children

· Will rarely start a conversation unless it is about something he is very interested in, and it is hard to maintain a conversation of any length with him, he losses interest in it very fast, all conversations are very one sided..

· Loves routine and becomes very distressed if routine is interrupted.

· His speech took a long time to develop (he was 2 and a half before started saying any words other than mum and dad) once we got him into speech therapy his speech developed quickly, but he still doesn’t seem to understand a great deal of what we say to him. If he is tired it becomes very hard to understand him, he speaks with a slur

· Understands very direct and simple instructions

· Likes to see how things work, loves puzzles the more complex the better. Once shown a puzzle 1 or 2 times (depending on how hard the puzzle is) he will do it straight away. (15-40 piece puzzles)

· Likes to read books about trains, planes, space rockets and world map books (the map books is something that has only recently been of interest)….comic books are now becoming a huge interest….

· Once he develops an interest in something he becomes quiet obsessed about it.

· There is no way of distracting him from his particular interests

· He falls over when running a lot, but most other gross motor skills have improved with therapy.

· When he is angry he screeches a lot and claps his hands or punches his hands together – this has improved as he has gotten older.

· Gets anxious very easily in large groups of people, especially children

· Doesn’t care to play with other children, he will try, but if they don’t do what he wants he will play on his own.

· Extra sensitive to sounds, smells, taste (he has just started not eating certain foods because they feel funny on his tongue.

· If he wants something he will nag literally all day long, you can distract him, for ……1 minute or 2 and then he is straight back onto his topic!!

· He will be sitting quietly for a short period of time and suddenly let out a loud screech for no apparent reason and this is a daily (several times a day) occurrence. – this is becoming a lot more regular

· If he is interested in something he WILL sit for an extended period of time.

· He responds very well to positive praise.

· If I loose my temper and yell at him, he becomes very distressed and starts screeching and punching his hands together, he shuts down completely

· Punching his hands together = angry – this has only been for the past few months, used to do it before (when he was younger) but is now becoming more regular. (this has improved with age)

· Clapping = excited - always done

· Hard tapping – getting annoyed/anxious – (same as punching his hands together, has been becoming more and more regular)

· He will walk past someone and hit/punch/kick them for no apparent reason

· No concept of his limits/ what is dangerous – he will cross the road without looking, climbs to the top of his swing set, does somersaults on the trampoline.
    I am sorry this is a bit long winded.....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Welcome lisa...... I hope you get some support off of us here. Somedays we dont say much but we all understand each other and what it is like to be a special mum of a special little person with ASD.

Thankyou for sharing about your son and i know it was hard.

Hi my name is berni and I have a 26month old little man with ASD. His name is Laurence. I also have a little 7 month old girl named Quinn.

I hope you stay around and chat some more.

Thanks
    Reviews
    thanks fore that berni.....I definately plan on sticking around, I could really use some advice and sounding boards so to speak....especially when I know you are all going through the same sorts of things as me. I only know 2 other mothers where I live in the same situation as me, and its nice to have others to talk to.

most of the time I cope ok, but I find I am on a constant merri-go-round of handling things really well for months on end......then I crash into a big emotional lump!!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    welcome lis123

Thanks
    Reviews
    welcome lis123

im rosie with a nearly 3 year old boy in the middle of a diagnosis through the public system( very slow) and i also have a 16.5month old daughter who is a bit past where she should be for her age.

she has learnt to say orange and can do the sign for it. she must be watching seth way too much,

my kids names are seth and ruby.

welcome