Closed Thread
Page 51 of 100 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    We have been using the time-out strategy recommended by the paed and clin psych, and every time i put Possum in his room he bites or kicks or pinches or does something else that causes extreme pain (i have bruises on my wrist from today's episode). I make it clear that what he is doing is hurting me, and that it is not ok, and I put him in T/O regardless of what he does. But we have been doing this for weeks now and he is not backing down. If anything he is getting more aggressive each time I use it. I does seem to work though. he is usually more co-operative (provided he has 100% of my attention 100% of the time) and has become more responsive to our requests and instructions. we have also had some progress with the toileting.

so what do i do about the biting/hitting/pinching etc when I put him in his room? do I just persevere hoping that he will give up and accept the consequences, or is there something else I can try?

i can't cope with a child that keeps trying to hurt me, even when I am crying in pain. it feels like he hates me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Jackson I really hear where your coming from. I was just saying in another thread that the reason I believe my DD has ASD is because I have alot of similar behaviours which may explain why I am the only person who seems to have sucess controling things with DD because our brains work the same.

I did alot of the things as a child you are describing about your son. I used to constantly bite my sibling brother and would have way out of control tantrums one time when I was 6 I actually kicked in a set of metal luvers that had to be replaced because I was so angry. I guess the things I did were out of frustration at being mistreated or not getting my own way. I could actually scream for hours at the top of my lungs when I was upset. The thing is the more my parents responded to it the more I would do it. If they didn't respond to it I wouldn't do it. I found I leanrt very quickly from responses.

When I got older and was able to understand you could hurt people emotionally I would do it to try and get what I wanted. I have told my parents things like I wish they were dead or that they had a car accident or that I hated them. I didn't actually mean any of those things I just did it to hurt them and in my rages I never seemed to have empathy. However once I saw how badly hurt they were by what I said it made me feel really terrible. I just never seemed to be able to control myself when I was having a fit of rage even well into early adulthood.

I have worked really hard ot work on alot of my behaviours and I can happily say I no longer do things like that but it's taken years and that's with only self realisation not outside efforts iykwim. So I guess what I'm trying to say as hard as it is you need to keep sticking to your guns because eventually it works. I would think in my own head yep I'll keep going they wil give in which is what my mum usually did. However with Dad he never did so I eventually gave up after a while then completely and shifted my attentions to mum because I realised she would give in. Still now I know how to manipuate my mother because she never appeared to figure out that I figured her out. Having said that I don't manipulate her anymore because I realise now how wrong it is. Sorry for going on but I was trying to explain the mechanics of it all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    why is it ok for seth to be "naughty" but not dd. he is older.

ok yes i get he is sn but for goodness sake ruby is 15months. she is copying him. doesnt make her naughty.
    and its apparently ok for him not to sleep through but she should be because shes normal

normal

meh whats normal

i love my children for what they do,and who they are. not how many hours they dont sleep for.

come back people. bubhub is back up. lol

MyFourCubs is offline MyThreeCubs plus one- I am the luckiest Mum in the world...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    tracyselena, you are not the first person on here to say that you think you have some form of ASD as well. Thee have actually been a couple (although of coarse I can't remember them right now!) Sam's Mum is one of them. It's definately an interesting link. I think it's great that it gives you some insight into how your dd's mind works- the more insight you can give us the better!!

Rosie I know what you are saying, it's a difficult one- I think you do have to use the same rules for both of them though as it gets to confusing for them to understand and for you to police. We have the same rules here as Alex and hannah are only 16 months apart and they watch and learn from each other so you can't do any "Alex can do this but Hannah can't etc." It's just too hard.

We are having a rough trot here, Alex still hasn't gotten fully over his tonsilitis and when he is sick it takes him ages to recover- physically and behaviourally. I can't stand it! I have been so stressed lately I know that can't be helping him. Well we have my dh off to LA at 5am tommorrow morning for 2 WEEKS!!!! I am freaking out. Not helping that I have a really really sore throat that's getting worse by the minute. I get shocking throat infection that always hit when I'm stressed and run down. Please cross your fingers guys that I get better soon as I don't think I can cope with it on my own if it gets worse.

Kylie COME BACK I need your expertise on the living alone with a million kids thingo I'm a wuss, I know.

Hope everyone else is ok, check in later. As Rosie said come BAAAAAAAAACK......

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Ladies,
    SARA I feel for you right now. I hope you get better and that the kids behave while DH is away. You are strong and you can do it, just make sure your routine is in place and stick to it.
    KYLIE where are you and hope you are all good.
    To everyone else hello and I will endeavor to get back on here later. Heaps to do as we need to pack up a couple of rooms. We are getting carpet put down soon and will be painting. Keep smiling. Letitia.

Thanks
    Reviews
    i have officially taught my son some animal noises

he needs hints but he gets it.

he can

do the sounds of

a dog (woof)
    a cat (meow)
    monkey (oh oh ah ah and screams it lol)
    a horse (neigh)
    a bird (tweed tweed (cant do the 2nd t)

he cant say horse but he knows what sound to make if i say horse.

in feb i never thought that by july he would be doing this

tomorrow we have a visit from disability services and i hope they can help him further

MyFourCubs is offline MyThreeCubs plus one- I am the luckiest Mum in the world...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Kylie is. on. facebook. Specifically in farm town chasing lost cows. I think we may need to perform some kind of intervention!!!!!

Rosie that is GREAT. (It alwasy takes me a bit now to realise who you are with your new name!)

Well I'm STRUGGLING. My throat is still just shocking. I hate being alone. I'm EXHAUSTED and I have to work tommorrow, taking Hannah and Claudia with me! Claudia is fine, but Hannah not so much. I don't know how anybody copes with this single mum thing, I just hate being alone, keep worrying that something is going to go wrong! Not even two nights down, I'm just pathetic.

Alex wasn't coping very well with Matt being gone, seems a bit better today, pre school did stories about people going away on aeroplanes then coming HOME! So I think he gets it more now and I let him "write" an email to dh and send it.

Two nearly down, 12 to go!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hope everybody else is ok.

Thanks
    Reviews
    sara - i hope these 12 days go quick.

i did get books out at a local library and for some reason he ran straight into ruby and she head slammed into the floor. you should have heard the scream from her. and seth didnt even care.

then he had a meltdown when we left

sigh.

he may be getting words but he does not cope when out at all! (so bugger trying to go out all day)

Thanks
    Reviews
    so

tired.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Possum had his first kindy prep group this week. 6 boys and 2 speechys. Our therapist said he did very well - participated in the games and followed their instructions. He even sat on the mat! He was getting very fidgety so the therapist sat behind him and squeezed his shoulders. He settled so she stopped. When he started moving again she told him to sit still and he asked her to squeeze him again!

It is amazing how much he has improved since starting speech therapy.