ADVERTISEMENT

Closed Thread
Page 43 of 100 FirstFirst ... 3341424344455393 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Just got back from seeing the paed. He has told us to do "highly structured time out". There are 6 rules and if any are broken we are to lock (yes, lock) Possum in his room for 4 minutes. We have to clear out his room so that if he goes ape he can't break himself or anything else. It is very hard core.

Paed says we need to eliminate/reduce the manipulative behaviours so that we can see the ASD more clearly.

Has anybody tried something like this before?

Must admit I have more than a few reservations... My DH likes it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    kAM...Dr Blackmore would have written the referral to the autism advisor and they will organise the fundnig for therapy for you..the $12k over 2 years....we started recently with learning links an naomi has st and ot every week..she is doing great! i am so happy and i pay nothing. there may be a small out of pocket in the end of the year but not much like if we didnt get the funding....making a huge difference here.
    today naomi wee'd on the floor countless times..i tell you i dont know why i bother. i think she "likes" the weeing feeling.....grrrr

MyFourCubs is offline MyThreeCubs plus one- I am the luckiest Mum in the world...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I am sick, sick, sick. I feel like cr@p so this will be short. Sorry

welcome MissBrightside, join anytime at all, just jump in when you feel like it, it can be very hard to keep up sometimes so don't feel you have to follow the thread, lol.

Sarah glad to hear from you, was only just thinking about you actually, was worried I'd upset you when I missed your post!!

I haven't done the "structured time out" but look, whatever works. anythings worth a shot in my book, so long as it's legal and doesn't come under the heading of abuse, lol. Let us know how it goes.

My dh was in flat out refusal to believe Alex had autism. Took AGES to bring him around, even after we got an official dx. Give them time, it's very, very normal for the dads to be pulling the chain.

We love the Aspect home based program, haven't looked at their school yet but will do so.

Nic, toilet raining sucks but she'll get it probably when you least expect it!

Sorry, am all over the shop and my apologies for not giving all personal replies- as said, I feel like ****.

Hoping I wake up feeling better.

Night all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    No you didn't upset me!! I know how I am responding to this forum. I respond to those who have responded to me or things I feel I need to comment on. I'd like to respond to everything but have no time and are constantly exhausted. I know that you are all the same so never get offended when you guys don't respond to me. So all is cool!

Jackson: I agree with your paed. You need to stop adjusting your life (tiny things you say and tiny things you do) to accommodate the ASD in possum.

When we really thought hard about it we realised we said things and did things in a certain order and in a certain way to placate Sophie. There's a particular phrase that we can say that can stop a tantrum instantly. But in the real world, she cannot expect others to say this particular phrase and so we have to get rid of it and all the other things we do that create "rules". Our ASD girl is a "rule maker" which means that she organises her life according to particular rules - for example when she eats her meal she has to have peas on the left side of her plate. Once you "act naturally" you see loads of tantrums because what you're saying and doing is more spontaneous.

It's really strange at first, you don't realise how much you've changed your day to day life to accommodate them. John McEachin (our autism consultant) says that he met a woman in Utah who always kept the windows down because her ASD child tantrumed whenever they were up. So she'd drive around with the windows down in winter with snow on the ground. So that's why up on our noticeboard (I have a massive noticeboard where I keep all our ABA notes from meetings and snippets of what we have to be doing) I have: "ACT NATURALLY: don't have windows down in winter".

SO whilst I think locking possum in room is a bit harsh (we'd be in same room as Soph when she tantrums and ignore her) I can see he wants to save your sanity.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Today i had the joys of cutting DS's hair. So not fun. I was just going to trim it up and take about 1cm off his fringe. Just as i started to cut he started screaming and trying to head bang. I sliced his poor fringe about half a cm long. I also caught some of his long locks. He now has short spiky hair.

I have started giving DS Vitamin B12 and a multi. Within 2 days he can now hold eye contact!!!!He even followed an instruction yesterday and has started babbling.

I am now going to put him on the elimination diet and hope for the best.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi all you lovely ladies
    This will be short. I am sick with a bad chest infection and feel miserable I wish I did not need to cough. Peter looks like he has it to and is in need of cuddles.
    SARA I hope you feel better soon.
    To everyone else you are all making good progress with your kids. It is so good to hear. I will up date you all soon on our house. Peter received his appointment at the Royal childrens in Brissy and it is on the 10th of July It is to see the neuroscience group to have the absent seizures checked. It is also during the school holidays! how often that happen. (NEVER!) So no taking time off. I feel really bad right now so I am going to get off here and go to bed after taking some medicine. Talk soon. Take care. Letitia.

Thanks
    Reviews
    aw letitia. You're the one usually lifting us up and making us feel better. I'm so sorry to hear that you are not doing so well. Chest infections suck. I hope yours gets better soon. It's great to hear that Peter will have his seizures checked so soon. 10th July is not far away at all!

You may still be able to go away. Are all you ladies aware of Yooralla? It's an organisation that pays for families of kids with SN to go on holidays. They'll pay up to $1500 I think, so you just contact them and say when you plan to go and where and they pay for some or all of it. Letitia that might be the thing for you!

All is okay here. Started seeing a psychologist and getting everything off my chest. First session went really well. We'll see how we go from there.

We have to flood Sophie in regards to her fears. We've tried the gently gently way and it's just not working. So that's going to horrible....but whatever gets her over it.

Hope you're all well and looking after yourselves.

All the best,

Sarah

MyFourCubs is offline MyThreeCubs plus one- I am the luckiest Mum in the world...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    hey guys

Sorry but I wont' say much as I am miserable. Still not feeling great and completely bummed as I amk convinced that toxic mould in our house is making all of us sick. *sigh* I hate our house, I have been on at dh for years to look into the problem we have with mould and he is too busy / lazy / thinks I'm an idiot but we are all sick, we all have respiratory probs and the little ones have multiple allergies and I'm just over it all. Want to move but without me working more we can't afford to. Very down tonight.

On a brighter note went to watch Claudia at the "festival of instrumental music" at the Sydney opera House last night. She played recorder, was so proud of her and despite feeling crappy we had a wonderful night.

Hope you are feeling better letitia

That holiday thing sounds great sarah might have to look into that one!!!!!!!!

Hope everyone else is well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sara- I hate the toxic mold. I have mould killer that i wash the walls with all the time and it still comes back. I hate it.

On a high note. Laurence is talking!!!!! He has about 30 words and even some 2 word phrases. Within 2 days of having no dairy and no gluten. He is talking!!!!! =He doesn't use the words meaningfully(occcassionly he does) but still talking!!!! He has gone from silent to babbling to talking within one week.

He says wiggles wiggles wiggles. He counts from 1 to 5. He says doggy and daddy. He says kitty and Yummmmm. He also says oh dear and go oh go. He says toot toot for trains and Brrrrrrrrrrr for planes. He also says Hi and Bye and Wahwah for water. Uck for yuck and mears for cheers (thankyou). I am so happy!!!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    That is such WONDERFUL news!!!! Wow you hear those stories but never really sure whether to believe them before but so glad it has happened for you!!!!! Keep us posted on his progress

We had a very very crappy, sucky day. Probably not helped by my being so upset. Alex lost it at kindygym which is very unusual, cried the whole way through and I was just not up for it. No idea what the problem was, he used to be so good at kgym. *sigh* let him have an anzac bikky yesterday which I NEVER do, maybe that was it? Gluten makes him FERAL Fingers crossed we have a better day tommorrow.

Letitia hope you are feeling better