ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

Closed Thread
Page 13 of 100 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    [QUOTE=KaM;3593253]

After about a year of trying to get someone to understand that my daughter (who is 3 in about 2 weeks) isnt just a normal toddler nor is she just high strung or spirited . .

Ive had this thought myself . . and other professionals have mentioned it as a passing comment . . but most of them just kind of brushed it off as she makes eye contact and is more then happy to give you some cuddles and such . .

Matilda is very high maintenance .. has a speech delay . . says only a few single words . . has huge mega tantrums . . that can become violent .. has NEVER and I mean NEVER slept well . . even after 2 trips to a sleeping school for a week each time . .doesnt seem to be able to control her emotions and seems very upset after she gets angry and lashes out . . she gets so frustrated also . . especially when I dont understand what she wants and she quickly gets worked up . . she clenches her fists and you can see her shake . . she has the most high pitched squeal also that goes along with the shaking . . there seems to be so many little things that are adding upto a larger picture . . . I really just am hoping for some sort of an answer or a starting point . . I feel like we have been hanging in limbo for so long . .

!/QUOTE]

Krissy, you pretty much described my Jock here..I started asking at around 16 months if he had autism, as we were investigating other health issues as well, but health professionals kept telling me he was too social...needles to say, at 5 he finally got his dx.
    In your case I would suggest you get your peads to write to CDU at westmead if you get nowhere with Aspect. They have a multi team there and do assessments in a day long session. Your pead has to apply and they will decide if she fits their criteria to assess though.
    On a side note, I have decided ALL Matilda's are high strung, hard work daughters, LOL...mine is for sure!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Neostudded, Early Intervention will help, they will tackle some of the sensory issues (like your touch/taste/smell issues) and help him learn when to stay still, turn take, stuff like that...more intensive than preschool can manage.
    Have you considered that home schooling might do him diservice as you yourself don't recognise "odd" (for want of a better word ) behaviours? Not trying to be mean, just putting another perspective on it...can understand reluctance to mainstream, my boy goes to a special school.
    If you get a dx you will be entitled to carers allowance, it's about $100 a fortnight, not means tested.
    Sarah, for the hard day today, at least now it is official, so now to get help organised. Have you started Naomi on her special diet yet? Hope Aspect help you get some therapy sorted.
    Rosie, I get to see Craig in that time (less than 5 days now!!), but he won't live with us full time until December. He will be living with us for 6 weeks between now and then while he does a course down here at HMAS Cerberus though, as well as next week's one and then our trip back up to stay with him for Easter. Just really miss the day in day out stuff, ya know...
    Good thinking getting Seth's hearing test sorted before heading north. Letitia will be a good sounding board no doubt for help up there too.
    Sara and Letitia, hope your week has started well.
    Have to go and find out what Jock is up too now, cause he definatley isn't sleeping...grrrr!
    Take care all.

MyFourCubs is offline MyThreeCubs plus one- I am the luckiest Mum in the world...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    WOW ok guys read all your posts but don't really know where to start, lol.

Kam I agree unfortuantely, does sound like autism, sounds a lot liek Alex. However, we do always tend to view the world with autism glasses (we know what to look for lol) so dont' take it from us as a dx but do make the appointments to get her checked out. There are other single mummy's on her with autistic children and we are all here to chat and any questions you have anytime you like. Must be very ahrd for you

Nic, HELLO have been worried about you actually, I'm glad you have finally gotten the dx you need but I know that doesn't make it any easier to bear- I actually just finished rewriting Alex's story, it's in this section ahve to attach it to my signature but it may ahelp to read if you haven't already- I took the dx hard even though I knew it was coming and knew he needed it, still hurts though

Kylie I will go looking for ya on facebook and send oyu a request- my name must be a common one, lol. I am over the tonsils already, had to have claudia'a taken out just over a eyar ago, never looked back should ahve gotten a 3 for one deal and had em all done at once! Hope you are having an ok week with your lot. Oh, I really like the name Matilda

Neostudded thanks for your insight, you know I ahve to laugh though as some of the thinsg you said sounded like ME! I am a bit socially inept and introverted sometimes, you probably wouldn't notice it on here. You are doing a wonderful, amazing job and you should be very proud of yourslef for how far you ahve come and how well you are doing with your little man.

Funnily, at the psych the other day he thought Matt had Asbergers! Only laughing as I had always thought of Matt as the normal one and thought the Autistic traits must come from me! matt was not impressed but I got what the psych was saying- he says I talk far too much to have autism. Someone said once that I must do 95% of the talking in our relationship and it was proabbly right- at least to other people! Oh well the vast majority of highly intelligent / gifted people probably ahve some kind of Asbergers so the world would be a bit lost without them.

I'm tired of fixing up my typos so I'm leaving them.

Alex had a SHOCKER at pre school today- tantrummed, screamed and carried on. Worst day yet. Made me feel better actually becuase he's been like that with me all week. They were fine but see how he goes tommorrow.

Well I worked today so very tired and ahve to make lunches. Hi Rosie and Letitia, hope everyone else is well, sorry if I missed anyone.
    xxx

Thanks
    Reviews

Default My little guy

My little guy is 2 years old.

He is currently attending a daycare center 4 days a week and seems to find it tolerable for the most part. He does not speak a word and gets angry whenever I try and encourage him to speak. He finds it (I am guessing here) frustrating when his patient daycare carers give him directions or try and interact.

We have been given the verbal diagnosis by our pediatrician and told to come back in 6 months for an official diagnosis on paper. Its been a really tough ride, he struggles with communication and never interacts with the other kids at daycare... it breaks my heart. He just paces around the perimetre and looks forward to getting home.

Although you may be rolling your eyes at me... I dont have a diagnosis, so how can I join this thread? well I have known that my little guy is wired differently to other kids of his age group... I am playing the waiting game till I can get access to the help I need to equip my little guy with the skills and support that suits him.

I am going to an OT and speechy, but the HANEN programme doesnt seem to be applicable to my little guy, everyone else in my group is reporting changes... except Oli... any suggestions? He doesnt even say mum or dad??!!

MyFourCubs is offline MyThreeCubs plus one- I am the luckiest Mum in the world...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh my goodness nobody would roll eyes at anybody- ever! You are MORE than welcome to join this thread, as I always say- no diagnosis required! We ahve many people that pop in and out of this thread or stay for the long term who do not have a dx or don't even know if their child DOES have autism- we are just fun to hang out with! Part of the whole process is getting a dx and it's a long and tedious one and really, the journey can be as tough as the "after diagnosis"- sometimes more so. Hang here all you like, I hope we can help!

Your son sounds like many of ours- likely on the spectrum but still very gorgeous. I would not be worried about the speech too much at this stage- Alex didnt' start really talking til after 2, that is not uncommon for ASD kids and boys in general do talk later. The Hanen was fabulous for us and he made huge progress with it- are you doing centre based or just through the speechy? We tried it 1 on 1 with the speechy but got nowhere, I ended up doing the parents coarse that was run of a night and learning the skills to implement at home- was much mroe successful!

Anyway, hope you stick around the thread, welcome anytime

Thanks
    Reviews
    hi girls remember me?
    hope u are all doing well
    dont get in here much i know just too busy sorry
    popped in to say ive just finished reading a book called 'look me in the eye' by John Elder Robison a man with aspergers syndrome. i found it really interesting and much more insightful than the standard autism textbooks that just scare the crap outta me.
    bray is doing ok, he got an award at school today for 'getting along' apparently there was a dispute when seperating into 2 groups and brayden unbelievably volounteered to swap groups so as to make them even. giving up something that was his preference for the greater good is something he would never ever do at home. funnily enough in true aspy form he is starting to get a little pedantic about school rules even though to him rules are nonexistant at home. im trying to find a way to make him see school and home rules as one but so far no good. his aggression is getting pretty bad again and i wonder if i need to up his meds? anyway i hope all your special little people are doing well

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Re the homeschooling thing. I have thought it through a lot and I believe it's in the best interest of my son to be homeschooled.

I am going to think all potential problems through and make no room for error when it comes to this particular issue. I am pretty determined to do the best that I can do for my son. I know it's going to work.

I actually found personally, that a school enviroment was a really bad thing for me to have to go through. I did a lot better in all aspects after I dropped out of school.
    (and it's not just me that thinks this).

I cant change the past though, it's never to late for me to learn, I now have a passion for learning that I didn't have at school.

I am not saying that conventional school's bad for all children/families with asd etc, just that for me and my son homeschooling is what will work for us.

I do understand your concern though.
    Was there anything in particular that you think would be a con to homeschooling?
    Last edited by neostudded; 24-03-2009 at 16:14.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Ladies
    Well well well what to tell! first of all
    Welcome Krissy it does sound like ASD and don't worry about the "too cuddly" thing my son is very cuddly and shows lots of love (a bit too much some times!) But he can be very aggressive. Good luck with getting the DX and hope the paed will help you out.
    Nic - congrats on getting the final DX I know it must be sad but you are getting the answers you need. I hope you are all well. I have been thinking about you and Naomi for a while wondering how things were going.
    Welcome Oli's mum Feel free to pop in any time for a chat or vent or cry ( I do).
    Supermummyof3 wondering how you were. I have the same book here at home but have not had time to read it. Good on Brayden what a good boy for doing that. It is good the teachers gave him a certificate for it. For the aggression I would recommend talking to the paed about it. We just did for our son. Hope things go smoothly for you for a while.
    Kylie Hope you are all well at your place at the moment. I feel for you having to do this on your own and I know I say this alot. How has Jock been at school? Hope he is doing well.
    Sara Hi how are you hope Alex gets over his tonsilitis soon. No wonder he is so cranky. Sara just like you I think I am a little ASD because I dont like crowds and dont like loud noises.
    Well ladies now to catch you up on what is happening here...... Peter had appt on friday at the paeds and we now are about to try a different medication that we will slowly introduce. It will hopefully help with the aggression, anxiety and fidgeting. He is doing alright at school but has some bad days. Well spent sunday night at the hospital with Emily she was having trouble breathing and was making some bad sounds when she breathed in. It was scary and not nice at all. I took her to the after hours Drs and he said to take her straight to the hospital. When we got there we had 10 min wait then she was through ( there was a lot of people in the waiting room) We endured 4 lots of ventolin in a nebuliser and got to see the paed at 1 am. She told us Emily had a virus induced wheesing. I had never heard of this and she was very good with Emily. She kept a close eye on what was happening and as it turned out there was 5 other young kids there with the same thing. It seems to be a bad bug going around. We came close to having her admitted as her Oxygen levels were pretty bad. It went up just enough for her to go home at 2am yesterday. We now just need to keep giving her ventolin for the next couple of days and then she is off it. She is not too bad today. So I am very tired at the moment because of the loss of sleep. Well on better news I finished my last assignment last night and had my work place assessment today I was so very nervous and soooooooo tired I thought I would fail but I passed with flying colours. Now I just need to do first aid certificate and I am done. Well got to go and get kids to bed. Up early to go to work and Emily is back at daycare and Peter at school. Catch up soon. Take care all. Letitia.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    neo - its totaly up to you.. some people (like my dh) dont even like early intervention.. but i can see its working with seth.. they give directions in his class by whats called PECS (picture exchange communication system) they give the card they get the item. drink,toy ect. and that way there attempting speach.. (if they lack speach) however if they learn the word. like in seths case BALL. they prefere that. if you think homeschooling is best.. i say do it.. my dh would rather home school seth.. and if dh earns enough money soon he will do it for him.. its either that or his own special school. as he doesnt cope in a large classroom with lots of kids (public school)

naomismum - so glad you got some answers.. hope your coping okay with it all

kylie - wow your situation sounds interesting.. i bet its a big catch up session when he gets back..

oli's mum - hahaha no way would we roll eyes at you.. i havent got my boy formally diagnosed yet either and these girls are GREAT support, i promise you.. my seth is 2.5years old and just getting words out of him now thanks to the PECS i said b4.. if you want more info feel free to pm me as i dont get on here much at the moment.

sm03 - omg thats excellent about the school rules.. maybe get one of the teachers to ask him about house rules to see if he recognises if he has any.. (while your not there ofcourse) is that a good idea??

to anyone i missed

um oh my goodness.. me and dh swore black and blue seth said thank you when we gave him his water because he was thirsty. and other people heard it too, so it wasnt imagination. (me and dh are always polite using ta and also thank you) so he knows both. and he said it.

hes nearly also worked out the fridge lock.. OH OH.!!!

and ruby says hello and waves and claps.. and shes not even one (wheres my baby)

how would you teach one to jump. seth wants to but cant.?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I started Matilda on the bed . . by lifting her up and down . . and bending her legs a little . .