+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have never donated to charites overseas for that reason.. I have friends who work in refugee camps and have done volunteer work and they are shocked at the amount of money that never gets where it is needed.

The Smith Family does a program called "learning for life" which allocates you a child in Australia, from primary right through to uni, your money goes to help them pay for excursions, uniforms and other school items. It costs $27 month for a primary student and you get a report about your student, as well as a letter (I get pictures too) from your student letting you know how they're going. Personally I think it's much better to support children here first and foremost.

It's great how many people donate in various ways though. It's not always the money that counts, donating clothes and toys is just as valuable.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I wish we could, but financially were just not able to

Thanks
    Reviews
    we donate to
    Doctors without boarders every month.
    and these at least once a year
    kidney foundation
    local childrens hospital foundation
    cancer foundation
    ronald Mc Donald house
    and starlight foundation
    SIDS foundation in memory of Caleb an aquantences ds

we also give other donations throughout the year depending on how we are going at that point in time, it helps offset our taxes and all the charaties we donate to are relevant to our family although I did donate to the vic bushfire appeal as I felt it was somthing worthwhile to do

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    No surprises here but with her up there ^^^

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    That was weird. Where did your post go 4B2L?? It was you I was agreeing with....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    i will give clothes etc to charities but generally can't afford money.

the other thing that surprised me was when talking to a friend she said in Adel they deliver yellow bags ot households to fill with clothes and these go directly overseas I asked her why she didn't give to people who needed it here and she didn't know it was just easy.

I think it is really dissappointing when i go into op shops for childrens clothes to buy and there is little to none....they have all gone overseas so what about people here that need it

Thanks
    Reviews
    My parent's sponcer a child.
    Donated to the bush fire appeal.
    Regularly donate to that famous eye docter? (Ashamed to say I don't know his name).
    The sporting wheelies charity.
    A children charity for the handicapped.

I donate to fundraisers at school.
    Buy raffle tickets to raise money for charities.

I should probably do abit more.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Debster View Post
    the other thing that surprised me was when talking to a friend she said in Adel they deliver yellow bags ot households to fill with clothes and these go directly overseas I asked her why she didn't give to people who needed it here and she didn't know it was just easy.
    we have something similiar in Brisbane - occasionally we get a pink bag in the letterbox asking for clothes, toys etc. It says they are a commercial operation which sell the clothes cheaply to Australians and people in PNG.

I don't use the pink bag because I'd much rather give it to a non-profit charity like Lifeline as not only do they sell cheap clothes but they use the profits to help people.

I'm a little reticient to donate to St Vinnies after this:

http://www.smh.com.au/news/opinion/s...?page=fullpage

Thanks
    Reviews
    We're looking to donate personally to someone in our neighborhood who needs it. (Widows, orphans, the elderly)
    That way I know that they get every cent.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ffrenchstar View Post
    That was weird. Where did your post go 4B2L?? It was you I was agreeing with....
    ...I don't know. I just snuck back into this thread then.

Can you remember what I said?