+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default After IVF Pain and Side Effects

Hi everyone. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this after IVF. We have just completed our third (unsuccessful) cycle (just under a fortnight ago). I am now getting a sometimes sharp and sometimes dull pain on the lower left side of my abdomen and also a very dark, but light in quantity, discharge (my period stopped almost a week ago).

Has anyone else had this? I am bit worried and am planning to go to the doctor tomorrow.

Thanks for any advice!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi, I'm also a 3rd timer and also experiencing this now. I just had a bnf (this week). I had a normal bleed, it stopped and now it's started again, also as you describe, and I experienced sharp pain today, in my right side and it wasn't period pain. I am going to mention it at my appointment tomorrow with FS and just see what develops. I would suggest calling your clinic, firstly asking a nurse, but don't hesitate to speak to your FS.

update: asked FS, told it's nothing to worry about. quite normal after using pregnyl.
    Last edited by fiasm; 14-02-2009 at 09:48.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Ladies,

I saw your discussions, I am going to have my first ivf cycle within a month and am really worried about all the medication effects and ohss. Would you like to share your experiences with me as I am really nervous about this as I get really bad and extreme pms symptoms to begin with.

Thankyou so much

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    katebet - I too had the pains in the side and the spotting after my first IVF cycle. The FS said it was just the ovaries returning to normal and the excess hormones in my system adjusting themselves. The spotting took nearly a week to stop. However if you are in doubt or feel like something could be up, it's always best to give the FS call as they know your history, blood work etc. Good luck .

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi sabby10 - I have just completed my first cycle of IVF BUT I have also been on the meds before for 2 IUIs. (although aLOT lower dose). I was on 150iu of Puregon daily for the IVF cycle.

I had 28 eggs collected at EPU and was at high risk for OHSS. Luckily, this did not eventuate. I was swollen for about 1 week after EPU but that subsided and I recovered well.I really didn't have much pain. I was a good girl and drank 3 litres of water every day and I truly believe this helped prevent OHSS.

The main side effect of the meds for me was bloating which is nothing in the scheme of things. This is only my experience. Other ladies may have different experiences. We are all different.

I now have slight pain in my ovaries but this is normal for me around the time of ovulation.

The IVF cycle seems to fly once you begin and it was nowhere near as bad as I imagined it to be. I am going back for more next month.

Best of luck to you with your first cycle.