ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi ladies

I had my appointment with the doctor at Wesley Hospital in Brisbane but unfortunately it didn't turn out that great.

We have been very set on finding a doctor who can perform the abdominal stitch, as it has a success rate of 97%. In fact many doctors says it cures an incompetent cervix completely. In forums I have read the stories of women who have lost 3 or 4, some even 5 or 6 babies before they get told of the permanent abdominal stitch. They then go on to have 9 month long successful pregnancies, some even with twins.

Unfortunately the doctor we recently met with had very limited experience with the abdominal stitch. He had performed the procedure only 2 times through laparoscopic surgery (key hole) rather than the traditional method (similar to c-section). He admitted that one of his two patients was on bed rest for 4 weeks in hospital while dilating. This was in fact his first patient and unfortunately she lost her precious baby. I’m not sure if his second patient has fallen pregnant yet.

So I’m sorry to say that this doctor’s experience is very limited.

The good new is that last week I found out that there is a very experienced doctor in Brisbane, Dr Brunello. He has performed the abdominal stitch approx 20 times and also overseen another 20 operations (which is a lot more than the other doctor’s 2 operations).

Dr Brunello doesn’t think a women needs to have multiple losses to prove that she qualifies for the operation, or that she needs to prove that a vaginal stitch wont work.

He said – Why risk losing another child when you can have an operation that almost guarantees a successful pregnancy (of course other things can still go wrong like any pregnancy).

The Gold Coast couple that met with Dr Brunello has experienced 3 second trimester losses after doctors kept telling them they would be fine with a vaginal stitch instead. Now they have finally found someone that can give them a successful pregnancy. Best of all, Dr Brunello has never had a patient with a loss due to Incompetent Cervix with an abdominal stitch in place.

Because I had never heard of dr Brunello, I believed there were no doctors here that would help me because I have only had one loss. So 4 weeks ago we arranged for a free phone consultation with Dr Davis in NJ (US), who many believe has performed the most abdominal stitches in the world. Finally a doctor that told us that he could give us a full term pregnancy! Talking to him was amazing, and really gave us so much hope.

He has performed over 250 of these operations on women from all over the world. He performs it the traditional method (similar to c-section), pre-pregnancy or around week 10-12. His pre-pregnancy success rate is 100% and in-pregnancy 97%. He said it is a simple procedure that takes 20 minutes to just over an hour, and I’ll be in hospital 1-2 nights. He doesn’t recommend bed rest to his patients as most of them work up until their scheduled c-section. The cost is approx US$4000 for the operation and the hospital stay.

Because we decided we wanted to go with the best, rather than being rejected by more Australian doctors, we have booked our tickets to the US and will be flying over in less than 4 weeks. I have been in touch with many (!) of his former patients, many who are in their second or third pregnancy with the same abdominal stitch still in place. I’ve also been in touch with a lady from Sydney who had 4 losses before flying to Chicago to have her surgery there, she is currently pregnant.

I do wish we had heard of Dr Brunello earlier, but at least now I can let other people know that there is an experienced doctor in Brisbane that can help women with Incompetent Cervix. And he sounds amazing.

For those that are unable to travel to Brisbane, a lady in Melbourne had her abdominal stitch done by Prof Tom Jobling two months ago after losing twin boys and she was very happy with him and the procedure (traditional open surgery, not key hole). The doctor who I believe has performed the most abdominal cerclages in Australia is also based in Melbourne, Dr Mark Umstad. He does the TAC the traditional way through open surgery and I believe he has done approx 40 operations. A lady who had her operation done by him a few weeks ago said he was amazing.

My advice to anyone with incompetent cervix:

Do as much research as you can, gain all the knowledge, consider your options, and then decide what’s best for you; the TransVaginal Cerclage (TVC) or the permanent TransAbdominal Cerclage (TAC). Only you can make this decision.

Once you have made that decision, start interviewing doctors until you find one that you are comfortable with and that has the experience (very important). Don’t let any doctor tell you otherwise. You can listen to their advice, but remember that it is their opinion based on their experience and might not be the best option for you. It’s your body and its your choice to make an informed decision.

My surgery is on 28 August and I’ll let you know how it all went when I get back 2 weeks later. We can TTC on the next cycle and I'm so excited about the prospect of having a successful pregancy.

Hugs
    Kristin
    Last edited by AngelMiasMum; 19-09-2009 at 10:07.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default abdominal cerclage

Hi there
    Im sorry for your loss. I to have suffered 2 lost baby girls. Bayley at 20 wks incompedent cervix even with stitch placed. and then Matilda at 23wks also with stitch. I also have endo. I had my tubes removed so my pregnancys have been IVF. I have know had an abdominal stitch placed and about to have our 5th round of IVF. I had my procedure done in Perth at the King Edward Memorial hospital, I think that i wass the first there to have the stitch placed thru keyhole surgery. My IVf team Put me in touch with Professor Hart who performed the surgery. I understand that the success rate is around 90 percent. So as u can imagine we are hoping that we will be welcoming a new addition into our family so time soon. I wish u all the luck.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default abdominal cerclage

Hi loulou

I'm so sorry for the loss of your two precious babygirls. And then having endo as well, its just not fair is it. I'm so glad you have been given an abdominal cerclage (TAC). The success rate is great and it lasts for all your pregnancies.

Its becoming more normal here in Australia to perform the procedure, although there are a few doctors here who have provided the TAC to their patients for many years already.

You are the first girl from Perth I have heard of so congratulations on leading the way over there

I just wanted to mention that I know of 3 ladies with 3 different doctors in Australia where the key hole TAC failed and they lost their babies. This is because the operation is a lot harder to perform laparascopic than the traditional method of open surgery. Please make sure you insist on scans of your cervix every second week (or even weekly?) from week 18 to 26. I'm sure you will be fine but please keep this in mind and be your own advocate.

Good luck on the IVF, I'm sending you lots of baby dust. Hopefully we'll both have our miracle babies in our arms soon.

Hugs
    Kristin

QUOTE=loulou13;4022205]Hi there
    Im sorry for your loss. I to have suffered 2 lost baby girls. Bayley at 20 wks incompedent cervix even with stitch placed. and then Matilda at 23wks also with stitch. I also have endo. I had my tubes removed so my pregnancys have been IVF. I have know had an abdominal stitch placed and about to have our 5th round of IVF. I had my procedure done in Perth at the King Edward Memorial hospital, I think that i wass the first there to have the stitch placed thru keyhole surgery. My IVf team Put me in touch with Professor Hart who performed the surgery. I understand that the success rate is around 90 percent. So as u can imagine we are hoping that we will be welcoming a new addition into our family so time soon. I wish u all the luck.[/QUOTE]

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi ladies

To those of you who have followed my story, I would like to thank you for your support and encouraging emails!

3 weeks ago I had my abdominal cerclage (TAC) operation done in the US and I can honestly say it was the best decision we have ever made. I had really high expectations from reading about Dr Davis on a lot of different forums, and he certainly the most amazing doctor I have ever met. His knowledge of obstetrics and his experience dealing with cervical insufficiency really impressed us both. When examining me he found a long tear at the back of my cervix which no other Australian doctors had discovered, and he said the tear in addition to my incompetent cervix would have given me a very slim (if any) chance of success with a vaginal cerclage (TVC).

So yes, the operation went really well. The abdominal cerclage was placed perfectly, and according to Dr Davis I can now go on to have a normal pregnancy with no bed rest or risk of my cervix not holding. I spent 1 night in hospital and was sightseeing in New York City 4 days later.

I have a 10 cm scar along the hairline low on my tummy which will fade over time. My hubby loves my scar and I do too! Other than feeling a little sore now that I am back at work, I feel amazing. I was told I have to wait 6 weeks before I do housework which is the best part

Hopefully we'll fall pregnant by the end of the year, and we are discussing how many babies we want to make sure we get our moneys worth from this operation lol All up we spent about $10,000 incl hospital & doctor fees, hotels x 12 nigths, return flights x 2, rental car x 4 days, food etc etc. The best spent money ever! And we also had the best time over in the US, it really felt like a holiday and we enjoyed spending some quality time together.

From my many months of doing research about incompetent cervix I have so much information about the abdominal cerclage. If this can be of help to anyone else, please just send me an email. My whole cerclage placement story is on the ic forum: http://ic.hobh.org/forums/ (just look in the cerclage placement section)

There are also some photos from after the operation: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...4&l=1330a2c3be

Hugs
    Kristin

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Kristin, that is fantastic.
    Sending you a tonne of baby dust so that you may conceive in the near future, and have a happy, healthy pregnancy!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi LouLou,
    So sorry to hear of your loss. I joined this forum after reading your post. I live in the uk, suffered PROM at 16 weeks with IVF twins, lost Gabriel at 17 weeks and Samantha at 20 weeks a week after a TVC. I cant emotionally cope with another miscarriage, and need to reduce as much risk as possible. How long after the laporascopic TAC were you able to try for IVF?
    Im booked for another round of IVF July 21st 2010, and want a TAC before pregnancy. How long is the recovery? Did it effect the success of your IVF?
    Your advice is appreciated.
    Lou

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Kristen
    Firstly Im so sorry for the loss of your baby girl Mia. Whilst I havent personally experienced this, as a mother it is a parent worst nightmare.
    I just wanted to wish you the best of luck and I hope you fall pregnant soon with your little bundle of joy. Sending you lots of baby dust and best wishes.
    Sonya

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Tac doc in australia

Hello,

I am currently recovering from a laproscopic abdominal cerclage which was placed 2 days ago. Although I have not had a loss due to IC I have had several surgeries on my cervix and have been told I would need one to carry a pregnancy to term as I do not have much of a cervix to place a vaginal stitch.

The doctor who performed this procedure is Dr. Alex Ades in Melbourne at Royal Womens hospital for those of you in Australia looking for someone. I understand he is the only doc to do it laproscopically in Australia. Dr. Mark Umstad also in Melbourne and Dr Laurie Brunello in Brisbane, also do the procedure but as I understand the caesaearn style.

Anyway I am recovering well, was a bit sore yesterday but up and moving around today and will be back at work 7 days after the op.

Ideally the procedure Is done whilst not pregnant, but I am 7 weeks pregnant - so was petrified about going under the general, but doc said all went really well , another scan on Monday to check all Ok. Fingers crossed x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Arall how are you doing? I'm looking at having this done also at the same hospital

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Woody,

I am doing great - currently 24 weeks pregnant. The recovery from the stitch surgery was fine although I have 2 lovely scars on my tummy ( a small price to pay). I have had to have scans every 4 weeks from the surgery time to check cervix length and my cervix has remained closed and a good length, so the stitch has been doing its job well ! Having the abdominal stitch has also taken the need for bedrest out of the pregnancy so I been able to stay fairly fit with regular exercise and my job involves been on my feet all day ( restaurant)and apart from regular pregnancy aches and pains, have had no problems.

I would recommend the surgery and no hesitation in recommending Dr. Ades, he was great and even answered my emails and questions I had after the surgery. I had been through 8 stimulated cycles of IVF to have this baby and was not going to take the risk of losing it from IC, and I am so glad I made that choice.

Good Luck and any more questions, Just post !

arall