+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Abdominal cerclage for Incompetent Cervix

We lost our babygirl at 21 weeks due to cervical incompetence. I had a perfect pregnancy but at a routine ultrasound they realised that my cervix was only 13mm and funnelling. The following day it was 8mm. I had an emergency vaginal cerlclage inserted that ruptured the membranes so the water broke. I was induced a week later and our daughter died during labor. Our world fell apart.

I have been told by the hospital that next time when/if we fall pregnant (I have endo and a blocked tube), Ill need a vaginal cerclage at week 12-14.

However, after spending months doing research I have come across so many women that have still lost babies with a vaginal cerclage in place. Their stories are heart breaking..

I dont want to risk losing another baby. But I know if I get a vaginal cerclage I will still worry so much every single day of the pregnancy. There is also no way I would risk working, but the bed rest would drive me crazy and also increase my chance of getting blood clots (I have Factor V Leiden).

I am hoping that I can have an abdominal cerclage instead, as the success rate is over 90%. However there is not that many doctors in Australia that perform this procedure because it is such a big operation. I have heard that some doctors are using key hole surgery to perform it, which would make it safer but its apparently controversial.

I would like to get in touch with anyone that has had (or considered having) an abdominal cerclage here in Australia.

Thanks
    Kristin

*angel Mia*
    born 19 Oct 2008
    due 4 Mar 2009

Thanks
    Reviews
    Kristin,
    I haven't ever heard of abdominal cerclage. My ob is considering me having a cerv cerclage at about 14 weeks due to having extensive removal of tissue from cervical cancers removed. I hope you get some answers soon hun! Sorry for your loss, stay positive and all the best to you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Sorry for your loss, I too had a loss due to cervical incompetence, and 2 years later went on to have a successful pregnancy with a cervical cerclage placed transvaginally at 14 weeks. I was only placed on moderate bedrest after an ultrasound at 24 weeks showed a cervix length of 13mm and funneling to the stitch. After my cerclage was removed I went another 3 weeks before going into spontaneous labour at 41 weeks!

I have heard of transabdominal cerclages, but don't know of anyone who has had one in Aus. or any dr in Aus who performs them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm so sorry for your loss Renee, good to hear that all went well with your new bub My GP is sending me to Dr Cook at Wesley Hospital in Brisbane, hopefully he can help. I'll keep you posted

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh good luck Chelle, I know there are a lot of "good news' stories out there regarding the vaginal cerclage. Not sure if thats the way I want to go after our loss, hopefully we can get an abdominal cerclage.. but you never know..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi,My name is Melissa and i was wondering if you found out any info on the abdo cerclage?as i have a incompetent cervixs and have lost 3 babies due to it and have 2 live kids .I lost twins last july at 24 weeks and now 9 months on want to try again a big risk but something i want to do .My obs/gyno wants to do another vag cerclage but i have a lot of scarring .I lost my twins not so much because of the cerclage but i had a massive infection in the placentas.So any info you have found out would be great .I am in toowoomba QLD.
    Cheers,Melissa

Thanks
    Reviews
    Dearest Melissa, I am so sorry for your losses.. there are no words that can explain how much I would like to take away the pain for anyone that has lost a child.

I have done months and months of research and there is no way I would try another vaginal stitch (TVC). The number of women I have come across that have still delivered too early because 1) the stitch caused an infection or 2) the cervix opens down to the stitch and they tear open. The point is that the TVC might be able to help your cervix to a certain degree but it can not stop the baby from being born. I had to have my stitch removed and it was the worst feeling, knowing that my baby would be born after they did it. Many doctors believe it has no proven value to stop a preterm delivery. Having said that there are many women that had a TVC who has been able to deliver at term. But its often hard to know why things go the way they do.

I was told an abdominal stitch was not an option for me by my Ob who I found out is not informed on the issue. She gave me a lot of incorrect information, and was it not for my own reseach I would have believed her.

I have found a lot of support in a group forum on google called Abbyloopers, there is 1000 mums there that are considering having/or have had an abdominal stitch. Reading their stories is heartbreaking and also give a lot of hope.

The abdominal stitch can be done pre or post conception (often at 12 weeks), it can be done similar to a c section or through key hole surgery. In all these cases the abdominal stitch is permanent, and you have to deliver by c section.

The two best abdominal stitch doctors in the world are in the US, Dr Haney and Dr Davis have a great successrate of 97% (with zero pregnancies failed because of the stitch). Obviously there are other reasons why preg failes. Dr Davis does the abdominal stitch for 'cost' for overseas women (approx $US4000). If I had the money I would go over there.

I have been able to find 3 other doctors that perform the abdominal stitch in Australia (Brisbane, Sydney and Melbourne). The doctors at Mater had only done 1 or 2, so that was not an option for me.

Dr Stephen Cook at Wesley Hospital in Brisbane has performed this operation, but i'm not sure how many. I have a referal to see in in June (he has long waiting list).

I signed up for private health in Feb so I'll wait 12 months before I have any surgery. The scariest thing for me would be to fall preg with twins, as I don't think a vaginal stitch would hold. I will let you know how my app with Dr Cook goes, in the mean time I'm trying very hard not to fall preg..

Pls note I'm not a doctor and the above is simply based on my research. Good luck, I would love to hear how you go.

Take care, Kristin
    Last edited by AngelMiasMum; 02-08-2009 at 20:29.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Link to Appyloopers group:

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/Abbyloopers/

"Welcome! The purpose of this group is to provide a discussion format for Abbyloopers, soon to be a non-profit organization which serves to discusses transabdominal cerclage, a specialized procedure for the treatment of premature delivery due to the condition of Cervical Insufficiency, or otherwise referred to as Incompetent Cervix.

We have been featured on the University of Chicago Medical Center's Website, as well as in the Chicago Tribune.
    http://www.uchospitals.edu/specialties/obgyn/cerclage/

This is a great place to obtain information as well as support for those who already have or need this type of cerclage."

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Kristen for the info.I to had a emergency stitch put in with my daughter who is now 12yrs old .I woke one morning at 25 weeks with slight pain and a light bleed ,i was rushed to hospital and it was found out i was 4cm dilated membranes bulging,a stitch was inserted and i went on to 33 weeks and then my waters broke and i deliverd a 5pound 12 baby girl that was healthy .I was living in VIC at the time and was rushed down to royal womens after the stitch was done. I stayed down there till i hit the 32 weeks then was brought back to bendigo hospital ,but i remember when i was in the royal womens a girl was there from Tassie and she had a abdo stitch after i think it was 6 losses between 18-24 weeks gestation,she went on to have her little boy at 34 weeks that weighed in at 6 pounds and healthy.So it has been around for a while as that was nearly 13 yrs ago,so there is hope.My son that is 7 now was born at 32 weeks ,i had a stitch put in with him at 14 weeks and had no problems till my waters broke at 32 weeks he was 6pound 2 and only spent 2weeks in special care .So please dont give up on your dream if you cant have abdo stitch ,as the stitch with the twins i had last yr was doing its job it was the infection that caused me to lose them and my ob said even with out a stitch women can still can get infections in the uterus.So i wish you the best of luck in your journey to have a baby and i also would lve up dates on your progress.I have a appointment with my ob this thursday and i wont to ask him about seeing a ob down at the mater as they would see more people with our problems more so than here in Toowoomba.
    Good luck Kristen

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi, I have just had my second letz procedure done and the dr's have told me my chances of holding a pregnancy beyond 20 weeks are almost nil.
    I have been trying to consider what other options I have for another baby. After reading your post I have booked an appointment to see my local gp to get a refferal to see Dr cook.
    I live in Hervey Bay, but my sister lives in Brisbane and goes to the wesley hospital for her pregnancy's. She is currently 23 weeks pregnant with her 4th baby. SHe thinks the Dr's at the Wesley are great.
    I'm desperate to try anything for another child. I have been blessed with two beautiful children, but I feel my family is not yet complete.
    I lost 2 pregnancies last year before having the two letz procedures done and that was heart breaking, but I want to try again. At the moment I can't as I have to wait for the results of the last letz and do a follow up pap smear, but if it all goes well this time then maybe I can try this Dr Cook. If things don't go well I will have no other choice next time but to have a histerectomy. But there are still options for another child after that, even if the little precious is not carried by me. Right now I have to believe that.
    Thank you for giving me hope again.
    Tammie.