ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Does anyone have an 'indoor only' cat?

I am thinking of making my kitten and indoor only cat. I have had had bad luck with cats in the past with them disappearing or a couple getting knocked down. Also today my little cat of 6 years has been missing for two days and I am devastated. Anyway back to the topic which is protecting my new cat, I don't want to lose him. Is it easy to keep them in? Do they get used to it? Do you think its mean?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    my cat used to be (until mum became involved...) but she was fine with it, and was used to it. She freaked me out once when I found her sitting on the window sill outside! but, that was just her place in the end.

They just need lots of stimulation, a slab of lawn (think u buy these now specifically for indoor cats), and a willingness for regular kitty litter cleaning.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    i've had two that i've kept indoors and it worked wonderfully. the one time my first one got out, it got run over. i don't think it's mean at all, i think it's responsible! if they're used to it from very young, there really isn't a problem with it. you do get the odd one where it's in their nature to try their darndest to get out, but you'd have to be pretty unlucky. i say go for it!

stardance is offline A star danced and under that was I born
    Thanks
    Reviews
    a lot of play things that get alternated so they don't get bored..
    i used to take my cat out for 10-15 mins when i got home from work...
    have to say though that i put him second when bub came along and he goes in and out all day now and is fine

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yep, they get used to it, not mean at all.. get them a kitty tower to play on and climb around on for inside and they will be happy as chappy.. you can also get cool wool covered window seats for them to lie in the sun .. haha my pets are spoiled.

the cat I have right now is weirdly enough an inside cat by choice.

We leave the windows/ back door open and he never goes anywhere but out in our little terrace house backyard to lie in the grass but I have never ever seen him once go any further than this, or outside the house/yard.

If he wasn't such a homebody I would keep him in, too many people around here nick cats, or they get run over and I also agree it's responsible to keep cats indoors.

If you're stressed about it you can teach them to wear a harness and let them play in your yard.
    Haha my best mate does this with her kitty as she had bad luck with cats, she has a burmese which is sorta dog like, and she takes him to the park and beach and he walks with a harness / lead.. guess cuz she's done it since he was tiny.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Oh yes! the cat leash lol Get a two strap thing, goes around lower neck and chest, and get the kitten used to it asap!

Lots of people found my cat quite interesting being walked around the block

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LilShenanigans View Post
    Oh yes! the cat leash lol Get a two strap thing, goes around lower neck and chest, and get the kitten used to it asap!

Lots of people found my cat quite interesting being walked around the block
    i've always loved it when i've seen people do that!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry to hear about your missing kitty and I hope your kitty comes home soon .

I'm another indoor kitty owner...
    We got a leash for her from the start and take her out every few days to wander the yard or climb some trees. For the first year or so she tried eagerly to get out, but now she is two and a little calmer. She usually runs inside after 5 mins outside, much prefers her indoor life it seems.
    Cat towers and tunnels are great for kittens.
    Also I think you end up saving a fortune on vet bills, as they don't get into fights etc.
    Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the replies, I will start keeping my kitten in now, yes you guys are all right I suppose it is responsible to keep them in. I'll look in Crazy Clarks for a big tower. He will love it, him and my German Shepherd play chasies all day (so cute) inside so they will love using that. I have had so many cats and this is the end of losing them for me, I will never ever let a cat I own go out roaming anymore, especially not at night.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have 2 indoor cats. Very spoilt!

Check out ebay for the cat towers! We got a floor to ceiling one and they LOVE it!
    Another thing they love is a water fountain, we have this one http://www.petland.com.au/prod520.htm

Make sure you have 1 more litter tray than cat. Eg 1 cat = 2 litter trays. 2 cats = 3 trays etc.

And feed them 'indoor cat' foot.. or less amount of normal food, or they will get too fat!!

I tried my cats with the leash. One cat hates it and wont move with it on. The other cat squirmed out of it one day! I was on the porch doing gardening, and I had him in it, tied up near me. And he rolled around and got out of it! (didnt go anywhere though luckily)