+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Question for those ladies who have gone/are going Private?

Hi Ladies,

I am going private and as this is my first time I dont know what happens with clamining from medicare? I know you can claim money from them especially once you reach the threshold for the year...... I think i'll be paying $3000 all up or just more.

Do you take your receipts into medicare as you go along, do you save them all up and take them in at the end or is this something that you claim from the govt at tax time??

If someone could shed some light for me that would be great cause im clueless!

Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Firstly, you have to register with medicare for the 'safety net', so they keep a record of how much money you have spent out of pocket. This is very easy and can be done online.

Once you're registered, its totally up to you whether you want to claim as you go, or wait until you have a lot built up and claim then. It will make no difference to the amount you eventually end up getting.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I take my receipts for my antenatal visits into medicare as I go along but as chicken says it doesn't matter if you did it all at once. I was encouraged by my obs secretary to pay my PG maintence fee as close to due as possible(but by 37 weeks) so I would be closer to reaching the safety net and get a greater percentage of that fee back from medicare. Last time I got 1200 out of 1500 back.
    Once in hospital for delivery I paid my HI excess and that was all the out of pocket expenses I had.
    HTH.
    Oh just remebered the lady at the GP said that you can only save up to 500 worth of receipts to claim at one time, so worst case you would just go back the next day to claim to rest

Thanks
    Reviews
    It will depend on what OB you see, my first one did all the medicare stuff for me, i just signed the little medicare slip at each appointment and it was put through immediatly, it was the same for his management of birth and labout i was out of pocket 1400 i think. My current Ob was $3500 management fee which i then took the receipt to medicare and got $2800 as our safety net was $550 or something. I also get charged $50 each time a see her and the receipts need to be taken to medicare for the rebate! You can keep them all and go in all together or take whatever you have when you are passing a medicare they wll have a record on the computer of what has been claimed so you don't need to keep the record yourslef. Just remember the safety net runs Jan to Dec not July like end of financial year so if your OB charges the management fee in two lots as a lot do make sure they are in the same year to get full benefits even if you need to pay the second amount in advance!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Okay cool. Told you I was clueless! But now I think im not quite as clueless and will take them im as I go. (I'll register for the safety net first) Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    you can send them in as well - just download the form off their website. I find that easier as my nearest medicare is hard to get to on public transport!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    There's stuff you can do at tax time as well. I had a lot of dental work done last year, that according to the ATO is classed as a "medical expense" and medicare didn't cover it, but since it was over about $1500 (mine came to $10k nearly) you get 20% back in your tax return on whatever Medicare don't cover. If it includes dental work, then I'm sure it would include my private Midwife fees as well (fingers crossed). There's a section on the tax return where you put in medical expenses, but you must have receipts to back it up if they ask you for them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I sign the slip every time and they just put the refund into my bank account a few days later.

Something I am not sure if many people know but you cant claim two pregnancy management fee's in less then 280 days. My next bub will be born when my 3rd son is 11 months old and I have had to hold off paying the fee so I can get a refund.

Which has given me time to work up my safety net anyway for a bigger refund.

Thanks
    Reviews
    hmm i didnt seem to go to all that as some of you did
    all i did was take my recipts from scans to medi care to claim- but as for the ob we had an out of pocket fee and the hospital and rest of ob fee just went stright to private or medicare.
    i didnt fill out a form for the safety net either- medicare sent us a letter telling us we reached it after DS was born- so we ran to the drs and ped to get it at a really cheap price lol- and then when tax came around you claim the totla of everything you have spent on medical through that but you dont et that much back as its once you reach over a certain amount you claim on that not from the start as such.

it just all happend, only went to medicare to fill out the whole family thing after DS was born easy peasy

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by gymmummy View Post
    hmm i didnt seem to go to all that as some of you did
    all i did was take my recipts from scans to medi care to claim- but as for the ob we had an out of pocket fee and the hospital and rest of ob fee just went stright to private or medicare.
    i didnt fill out a form for the safety net either- medicare sent us a letter telling us we reached it after DS was born- so we ran to the drs and ped to get it at a really cheap price lol- and then when tax came around you claim the totla of everything you have spent on medical through that but you dont et that much back as its once you reach over a certain amount you claim on that not from the start as such.

it just all happend, only went to medicare to fill out the whole family thing after DS was born easy peasy
    I think you will find that when you registered for medicare the first time- they would have asked you about the safety net and would have registered you straight away.
    When DH and I got married, I changed our medicare card to both our names and the lady did it all for us at the time.

In relation to claiming back, I am saving all of mine up until after baby is born, and then cashing them in- sort of a bit of an extra saving's bonus- bit of extra funds at the time when most needed!g