+ Reply to Thread
    mazzie is offline Of course I'm crazy, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Flinders Medical Centre - Midwifery Group Practice

I am really keen to try to get into the MGP at Flinders.

Last baby I had at the WCH and was in the MGP until about 30 weeks when I moved house and they kicked me out because my midwife was going on maternity leave and I had moved out of the zone (even though from 26 weeks they gave me a new midwife who lived a suburb away from my new house and told me I would be fine to stay in the MGP) anyway I ended up having my baby in the normal labour ward and was quite happy with the experience but still angry about the MGP stuff up.

LOL sorry to rant.

I have my first appt at Flinders midwife clinic later this month and they have said that I can enquire about the MGP then. I will be 14 weeks by then.

How far along were you when you got into the MGP?

How was your experience?

Did you like your midwife?

With the WCH MGP we got a very judgemental midwife first up but she went on maternity leave and we really liked the next one we were given. If you don't get along with your middy can you change or do you have to transfer out of the program?

I also really want a water birth this time. I had the option last time but when it came down to it I didn't hop up into the bath because I was to tired and in to much pain.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hello Mazzie

I had all three of my girls at the birthing centre at Flinders - the last one was in the MGP. I enquired when I went to my first antenatal appointment and from there they gave me a call when they had a spot - there arent alot of midwives in the MGP and spaces are limited but I had no trouble getting in.
    I had my first in water - you have to sign a document to say that you are aware of the risks of a water birth, but other than that they are quite encouraging and really into alternative birthing. i found it great to give birth in water - so relaxing and it was good for not tearing!!! The bath at Flinders is nice and big too and I found the setup in the birthing centre great as well.
    My midwife was great although I assume that you can swap if you dont like the one that they give you. I know a few of the midwives at Flinders and they are all great. You always get a few nasty ones but thats with all hospitals.
    Good luck
    Mel
    P.S. Just noticed, our girls are born on the same day!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    mczukli,

Thanks for the reply I heard that Flinders only have one bath so it's the luck of the draw if you get it... Hopefully I do

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi,
    The birthing centre has two rooms, each with its own bath. There is also a room on the labour and delivery ward which is for birth centre clients when birth centre is full that has an adjoining bath that I was told could also be used by labour and delivery women as well.
    Cheers

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ahh okay fingers crossed I get the birth centre then!!
    I have my appt this Friday and I'll tell them I want to go into the birthing center so hopefully I get a chance.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm going to Flinders too, my appt's mid march when I'm nearly 15 wks. Very keen to use the birth centre - a good friend of mine was all booked in to use it but missed out cos her DS came a week too early. But from what she'd heard about it, it sounds great. I'd love to hear more when you've been.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had my appt, and because I am now due in early Sept my chances of getting into the birthing centre are good - they haven't allocated Sept yet, but I'm one of the first applications and it's first in first served so it looks good.

Hopefully I get to birth in their rooms, they look fantastic, big double bed and a spa with a little lounge and kitchen section.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just thought I'd update and say I got accepted into the birthing centre

Thanks
    Reviews
    I didn't really research the birth centre as an option with my 2 bubbies but from what I have now picked up as a midwifery student I wish I did!
    Not only are you in control of your labour experience but you have the freedom to move around, water birth and have your partner actively involved!
    Nothing compares to being in control and confidence with your birthing experience and the end result of doing it all off your own steam is absolutely exhilarating!
    Good Luck mazzie and prettypreggamomma! hope everything goes well
    xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi, I am due to have my 2nd child in about 5 weeks and am booked into the FMC MGP birth centre. I also went with them for my first 2 years ago and both times they have been fantastic!

My 1st ended up being delivered in labour ward due to meconium in the water and a syntocin drip which meant that I had to be monitered throughout my labour, but I still had my BC midwife with me in the labour ward - so it was really just a change of location. I found the post natal support that I got was fantastic. My midwife visited us at home every few days for the first couple of weeks, until we were all on our feet.

This time I'm really hoping to be able to deliver without any unnecessary medical intervention (there was no real need for the synto last time - but hospital policy...) and stay in the Birth Centre, but even if there are complications I have real peace of mind knowing that my BC midwife will still be there to attend to me.

Goodluck with your pregnancies, I hope you find the BC midwives as supportive and helpful as I have.