ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Lol yeah....the sticks We are lucky to have an awesome swimming teacher though... It adds up with 4 lots of $9 though...plus swimming training 4 times a week for DS#1

I really just replied 'coz I have always wanted to use this guy ---->

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It's way too expensive for me to do all year round so I take DD to lessons in the winter and then we practise on our own in the summer. This year, my parents are paying for DD's lessons when winter comes - a belated Christmas present. DD has so many toys that we all thought this was a great idea.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    on the sunshine coast we used to only pay 10per lesson. havent looked into it here as we know the techniques and just go as a family and do it ourselves. much cheeper.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yea since I have been to a lesson I pretty much know what they do so essentially can do it on my own with her now. Perhaps go to a lesson every second week & do it on my own every other week. That would be cost effective !!!

My SIL & MIL have put in to pay for this term so will probably just do it every week but after that I might just do the fortnightly idea until she is a bit older.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm moving to the sticks.

DD1's swimming lessons are now $16 a week and thats if you pay upfront for the term.

I dont mind paying it IF she has a decent teacher and I can see that she is making progress. One term she had a lovely girl but she didnt learn diddly squat. After I whinged she got given a much more experienced teacher and the difference was outstanding. $16 is too much to pay for her to just muck about and not get anywhere. I am all for her having fun but I can pay $5 and she can do that with me at the local pool.

It makes me cross that I have to keep battling to get someone decent to teach her. We started back again this week and once again she has been allocated to an inexperienced teacher so here we go again. I will give her a chance for a few weeks and then complain again. I know the swim school struggles to get teachers but really that isnt my problem and when they charge that amount you expect quality lessons.

Sorry this has turned into a rant but it just pees me off that I have to turn into pushy parent just to get my moneys worth. Swimming is by far the most expensive activity we goto.

Rant over!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    i thought id mention, my swimming school has free lessons during the school holidays and other things.

i asked and she got 5 free lessons during the holidays, i could of had another 5 free during christmas but i had family up. with our teachers you can ask anything and they will show you. its not really a "do this, in this lessons thats it" i can say she doesnt paddle right or something and she will work on it with you.

(i think it also helps that i like the teachers i have and so does DD)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I think where I want to take DD it's $88 for ten weeks, but I'd have to check. I think that's pretty reasonable, but I agree with what others say when it comes to babies (and weddings) everything is more expensive because they know parents will pay it.

Things like this though, I agree that to have a decent qualified instructor, a clean, well-maintained pool, equipment and time, $10 - $12 a lesson seems fair.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I paid $110 up front, for 10 lessons, plus the booking fee.
    So far its been great, I take both the kids with me and DD2 & I watch DD1 "swim". If I am not working that night DH will come after work and we all have a swim together.
    That $10 covers all of us getting into the pool, plus the lesson, so its pretty cheap really - a family pass is normally $12.60.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by angeliz View Post
    i have come to the conclusion that anything involving baby is exspensive! its a rort
    difinately and it increases as they get older and if you have more than one.

Have you tried your local YMCA? I think they are the cheapest and your kids can swim for free anytime.
    Having said that, I've enrolled DD1 in an Aquatic school (just children's swimming lessons) and I think it works out about $14 per class, I can't remember how much the enrolment fee was.

Thanks
    Reviews
    they are overpriced most of the time...and consider that most swim teachers only earn $18/hour!