ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Cool Why are swimming lessons for baby so expensive????

Ok so I am looking into swimming lessons for my 9 month old as I think it will be something fun for us to do together & good to get her water aware from a young age.

I have been ringing around a few places to get details & prices & I am quite shocked that lessons are generally about $12 for a half hour lesson! I though $7.50-$8 would be justifiable but $12 seems a bit overpriced particularly since there are other mums & bubs in the classes, it only goes for half an hour & surely DD isn't going to learn much except acceptance of water & a bit of fun. I can pay to go to the pool for $4 & familiarise her with the water myself.

I haven't done a class yet (will be doing one tomorrow hopefully) so am I just being a tight @ss & these costs are highly justified or does anyone else agree?

Anyone in the Brisbane area who have found classes cheaper than this please share

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    i know what you mean it seems high but we have been doing swimming with Aby for neerly two years ($12 lessons too) and yesterday she swam about 2 meters under water all by her self, she can dog paddle about a meter and from 14 months if thrown( gently ) in to the deep pool she would flip straight to to her back and float
    so for that small peice of mind i feel for me its worth it

Thanks
    Reviews
    Very good point teapotfairy maybe I'm not looking at it the right way. If your DD can do that at 14 months then I guess my daughter might learn more than I originally thought. I am willing to pay the price (well my MIL & SIL have chipped in to pay for this term) but I guess I was just a bit shocked as the first place I originally called said they were $5.50 per lesson for 10 lessons but then they must have had an exceptionally huge booking fee as all up it was about $100 anyway . I thought $5.50 that's cheap so was shocked when it turned out to be a standard charge of $12.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Ugh sorry I'm no help, just wanted to agree with you that they are ridiculously overpriced!

I pay $12.90 per lesson

Thanks
    Reviews
    i know i rang over 20 different swim schools and found the $10-$15 dollars was pretty much the average

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Angike View Post
    Ugh sorry I'm no help, just wanted to agree with you that they are ridiculously overpriced!

I pay $12.90 per lesson
    I guess there is not much we can do if we really want our bubs to do them which I really do but these swimming schools must be making a mint as everyone I have called run classes from Monday to Saturday for babies alone!

Wasn't there talk not long ago about lessons being offset by the government in a scheme for child water safety? Or was it just talk or someones opinion?

Thanks
    Reviews
    i pay (around) 240$ a term, it runs with the school terms.
    i do two lessons a week. DD loves it. she can hold her breath underwater for ages, kicks and paddles. she can pull herself up onto the steps (so if she falls in she knows how to turn around and grab the edge/steps)

imo i think its worth it. its fun educational and they are learning something they will be able to use for life

(my sister is a swimming teacher in newcastle )

Thanks
    Reviews
    i have come to the conclusion that anything involving baby is exspensive! its a rort

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ladybugblue84 View Post
    I guess there is not much we can do if we really want our bubs to do them which I really do but these swimming schools must be making a mint as everyone I have called run classes from Monday to Saturday for babies alone!

Wasn't there talk not long ago about lessons being offset by the government in a scheme for child water safety? Or was it just talk or someones opinion?
    I think that was a hubber's idea. A good one too

I know, there's not much we can do unfortunately which is a pain..

I just pay weekly, although I kinda wish I paid for 10 lessons upfront as I was offered.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by angeliz View Post
    i have come to the conclusion that anything involving baby is exspensive! its a rort
    Now this I completely agree with I try where ever possible to avoid things that have a huge price tag just because "baby" is attached to it! Swimming lessons I don't think will be one of those things $12 seems to be the standard unavoidable cost!