+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts

Default Before and After school care.

I would just like to know those of you who use (or have used) before and after school care do your kids like it? Who much do you pay? And do they (the kids) do activities and things, do they have time to do homework for example.

I may have to put my kids into before and/or after school care when I go back to work (not happening for a little while yet, I just like to prepare) the school they'll be attending doesn't have before and after school care at the actual school, but the students go to different daycare centers in the area.

I COULD make friends with some of the mums and even look at having the kids minded by them but I am worried they'll just be sitting around watching telly all afternoon. (I like my kids to have routine and don't want them to be watching tv all the time).

Do you think I should look into putting them into family daycare? They do before and after school care don't they?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    i cant answer all your questions. you are so organised!
    when i was studying (edu) i worked as a casual in after school care. whilst some were very good others i would not go near! you need to look and be choosy. in some they were well organised with losts of fun activities, others were too strict making the kids sit and do their h/w in silence and only then they could have afternoon tea.
    i would look into employing another mum. maybe you could come to an understanding and find a mum that has kids the same age with the same ''not sit in front of tv" approach.
    There is also and babysitting thing on line that you can advertise for people to do the pick up and afternoon routine. if you have more than 1 kid this can be a cheeper option.

Mariposa is offline Winner 2008 - most helpful moderator/administrator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Hi there.

Both of my girls attend before school care 4 mornings a week, and 1 afternoon. Cost of the morning is $5.90 and afternoon I think $12. They love it. Our school has it there. Also in the mornings they offer the kids breakfast and play time. In the afternoon they get afternoon tea, and there are a whole range of activities for them to do.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Hmmm, the babysitter thing I might look into. Also about employing another mum, though I worry what happens if/when she decides to go back to work, then what do I do?

I worked in a daycare center before I had kids of my own, the center did before and after school care but the poor kids didn't really have a routine or anything. They'd just come in (one of the daycare workers would pick them up) have something to eat and just hang around the place looking lost. I dunno, I just don't want my kids to be in that situation. If they were home with me they'd have routine (they do now) they will not be watching tv all afternoon/night (on the odd occasion I don't mind) they'll be doing homework, playing outside (possibly after school activies such as sport) reading etc. I don't expect daycare or such to have the exact same order routine as me, but like I said I DO want them to have activies (arts and crafts, homework, reading, getting outside playing sport) not just sitting around not doing anything. Yes I am fussy.

My sisters and I never went to before and after school care but I remember one time we had to go to some school holiday program which was ran through Camp Australia I think. It was really good cos we got to meet other kids, go on excusrions etc. Something I might even consider for my own kids if I had to work school holidays.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    well i myself went to after school care for alot of my primary schooling and i loved it it was at my school, we went there after school got marked off and then the table was filled with food for afetrnoon tea (sandwhiches, dips, fruit etc) after that we could choose what we wanted to do pretty much, there were tables for homework, room for reading, indoor games, puzzles etc, then 1 teacher would be outside as we were allowed to play outside, either on the basketball courts with balls/skipping ropes etc or a playground.

they made it really fun for us
    and although i didnt go to before care im assuming it would be farely the same but with breakfast etc.
    family day care for after school care could also be good too, ahvent had any experience in it though

HTH

Thanks
    Reviews
    oh and they ahd crafts etc and friday arvo night was always a themed night to make it fun, one night it was dressups, one night a talent show etc made it fun.