+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default March girl and starting school - any feedback

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with a march girl starting school - in NSW a march child can go to school or be held back until the following year.

How did your child go and do you regret starting them at school, or holding them back.

Any experience/feedback from teachers, parents who have done this with their child, or anyone that was a march child themselves would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    well i must say as a january kid, i started school the day i turned 5, and for my whole schooling was younger than everyone else and i hated it everyone was always 7 before me for example and id have to wait till january, especially in year 11/12 when my friends were letting licenses, turning 18, having parties, etc i felt really left out. thats probably not much help, but i think i would have rathered be the oldest in my grade than the youngest
    but if your daughter seems truely ready for school then send her early, its really up to you, if you think she could wit another year at home/preschool do that, up to you

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    NSW has the longest cut off of all the states, I think up till 31st JUly. As a teacher and a Mum I would send a march baby when they are 4 turning 5. From April on I would be more inclined to hold them home till the next year.
    You would be the best judge of her socially and how well you'd think she would cope. Has she been to preschool. Did her teahers have any input for you.
    IMO I'd sent her unless there are other reasons apart from a birthday that are making you wonder.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    My son is 5 this March and starting 4 year old kinder this year, school next year turning 6.

I asked a few teachers about it and the general reply is that IF there was to be an issue sending them early it wont show up until later in life (late primary or high school years) then
    a: Its too late to change it or
    b: Its terrible and stressful for them to be held back a year....

all in all I decided that I wouldnt ever regret holding him back but MAY regret sending him at 4 turning 5..

Hope that makes sense ?!

Thanks
    Reviews
    does anyone else have any other feedback

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My DD1 has just started Prep (QLD) and she is a February baby ( turned 5 in Feb). She is doing fine, the teacher says she is doing well.
    A bit clingy an drop off, but other than that all good .

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    DD1 is a Feb birthday, has been at school for nearly 2 weeks and is absolutely loving it. Unless something unexpected turns up DD2, and April birthday, will be going to school the year she turns 5.

I was a March birthday, went to school the year I turned 5 and was fine. I would rather they got their schooling finished before they get distracted with being 18 and able to drink etc.