+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Teegzie is offline in Wonderland with my little Alice!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I must admit I'm a bit hypocritical because I don't like people swearing around my daughter if it is avoidable, but I do own a few shirts with swear words on them. So kids who can read can pick up the swearing that way.

Most of my shirts aren't that bad just words like "********" (a motorhead shirt) but DP has some that say F*** (Machine Head shirt)! I actually don't really like vulgar t-shirts all that much either, but I'm not going to go telling DP he can't wear his t-shirts in public.

Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I swear all the time, like a sailor. My daughter has used a swear word once at an age where she didn't understand it. She does not swear now, she says they are adults words and that she doesn't need to use them.

Joshcamgrandma, you are entitled to your opinion but I have plenty of value for myself and for others who earn my respect.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    My daughter hears swearing all the time. I tried to tone it down, it failed, and due to my living situations, she still heard it anyway, because everyone else would always swear.

She's said a few words here and there.

Once she knows a word is a "naughty word" then she knows it's only for adults and won't say it again.

Except for the time recently when she said "b*stard." I told her that it was an adult word, and yucky for kids.

She paused and said...

"Like f***?"

My bf and I almost wet our pants.

She was innocently asking, but it was just so funny and unexpected.

I'm such a bad parent for laughing at stuff like that, but sometimes you just can't help it.

ETA - While I'm okay with myself and those I know swearing around my daughter (within limits of course - we don't just drop in swear words like we've got a daily quota we've got to reach), I do not appreciate swearing in public, nor do I do it myself.

If I DO swear in pubic, it is a quiet thing, whispered to a friend. Not yelled out loud, scribbled all over a tacky t-shirt or anything like that. I think to swear in public is horrible. I might be okay with my daughter hearing it occasionally, but others are not. I also know the people who interact with my child, and they WILL attempt to censor themselves a lot of the time, and will not swear about inappropriate things (for example ***** is not used when talking about people having sex... it's used when people are venting, or hurt themselves, mostly). I don't have the c-word said around her either. Dunno why, but I absolutely hate it.
    Last edited by SassyMummy; 21-01-2009 at 17:31.

Leeny is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    I HATE YOU JENNNNIFFFEEERRRRRRRR!!!!!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Hrmm.. When DD was too, she'd come out with things like "jesus bl**dy christ, I kicked my friggen toe" etc..

She gets sworn around.. Shes always lived with 5 or more adults.. She's bound to get sworn around. She has said a few naughty words, but she gets talked to, she knows now that they're grown up words, and she must not say them. So she doesn't..

It's unrealistic to think kids are never going to hear swear words.. I hear people swear every where we go.. My gosh, all the little potty mouthed teenagers we have to walk past or sit near in the shopping centre is terrible .. Even at day care and kindy, young kids seem to say some rippers..

They really don't know what a lot of it means.. I just prefer to have DD know that they're naughty, and only grown ups say them. That way if she hears them else where, it's not some new word that shes never heard that she's going to repeat at the most fantastic time..

I'd love to have DD raised with no swearing in the house.. It's just not realistic in my situation.. But congratulations if anyone lives in a house of adults like I do and can manage to get them all to not swear around a child!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Swear words occasionally just slip out - and then there is the times when the words are used simply out of routine, just so used to saying "and I tell you that this muffin was f@#k%$ awesome".
    DP swears while driving, he's got no patience. Sometimes if he's playing his game, but he does generally manage to stifle the words. I know at work and when he's outside having a smoke with the BIL that they swear like sailor.

I'm not innocent either, words slip out. DD is pretty good, she knows what she shouldn't say. But a few occasions I have caught her working her potty mouth..

Such as when it was raining "Its always bloody raining"
    Or when she dropped a book on her toe "**** bugger b***&h bum" - which is a little swear word thingy that I learnt of my mother and seemed to have passed onto my DD....

If I pull her up, she usually goes "oh sugar" or "silly bum" or something. Kids are gonna hear swear words and use them, and then be very crafty about when they say them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by joshcamgrandma View Post
    HI , I just want to put in here, using bad language, is a sign of lack of respect. I really get upset with the foul four letter words, and my kids and my hubby and most of my friends will not swear around me. I do use bl***y and s**t sometimes, but not often, and I would be very upset if I ever hear any bad language coming from my grandsons. It is a sign of what value you have for yourself and for others, and as for the language in music, im sorry but I just cant listen to that rubbish, and when there is too much in a movie , I will be dissapointed in the movie.
    Oh dear, goodluck with that one mummy! I have a very bad potty mouth! I try not to swear around mum and dad, but mum is hard of hearing so we get away with it a bit more, dad hears us and still gets up us if we swear. DS hasn't really sworn much maybe a word here or there, but he doesn't really understand yet. I think he'll be a good boy though (mainly due to grandma and grandad's good influence) not me!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    DS learnt to say 'shut up'.

Not from me, but it doesn't really matter WHO they learn it from once they learn it.

I just told him over and over again that we don't say that, its not nice and he should say 'be quiet please' instead.

Which he now does.