ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I don't swear much, but my dh used to. But thanks to me, he doesn't do it much around the kids anymore

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I am not in the habit of swearing from working in childcare for so long and because my mum was very strict about it!

I would be annoyed if someone said the F or C word in front of DS.

Whispers is offline Ocupation: Mother of 3, yes it's job, one of the hardest and one of the greatest.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tee View Post
    that is such a but adorable moment all at once.

To be honest, I never really thought too much about it before DS starting swearing and it's incredibly mortifying. I hate it so much and I wish it was one thing we'd been told to be careful of! We've both stopped now and are replacing the bad words with other words, which is hilarious - but still not catching on with DS. We went from ignoring it (for weeks) because we were told that was what would work, to admonishing him (which made things worse I think), and now we're just telling him that it's a bad word, and we're trying even harder to push the cuter swears on him (he does call DP a 'boob' now because of Horton Hears a Who), hehe.

He also picks it up from movies too unfortunately. So when we stopped swearing, he was still noticing it in movies and mimicking it. He's attracted to anything crass like a magnet! So we stopped watching any movies like that around him too. Worst thing is, even a really tame 'M' rated movie will occasionally have quite a loud and attention-grabbing F word - and it starts DS up all over again

I don't say anything when someone else swears around DS, but I would if it was excessive. I've said to DS a couple of times when other people have sworn and he's looked straight at me, that 'uh-oh there's that naughty word hey'.

But yeah, changing from being a potty-mouth to someone who has to say 'FFfff ... far out' when they hurt themselves has been HARD. But until your 3 year old starts screaming obscenities in the local coffee shop/ book shop/ newsagent/ playground because you've told him to put something down ... well, that's when things start to get upsetting! Well, for me anyway. I think the worst thing is because DP and I are heavily tattooed, people just roll their eyes and figure that we're just trash. And we're not, but we definitely look it when DS is carrying on that way!

I'm just hoping as he gets older it'll be easier to explain that there's words that adults use, that children just don't!
    I understand where your comming from,I have a 4 year old son who just likes to swear we have tried everything to stop it and he just wont.

He watches a lot of movies with dp normally action movies and there is a lot of swearing in them to, I ask dp to stop watching them while he is around but i come home and there they are the two sitting there watching them.

DP also has a potty mouth in the car he yells out to people "WHAT THE F*** YOU DOING", "LEARN TO F****ING DRIVE" and probably the most worst word, I really cant stand it," YOU F****ING C***SUCKER.

All of which ds likes to repeat and still does. I really can't say that I dont know why because i do and yes it is our fault I use to swear like a truck driver but try so hard not to swear anymore, but while dp is swearing, and watching the **** he does, it will be hard to stop ds.

Thanks
    Reviews
    mummabear - oh it SO has to be a team effort! i cut it out immediately because of course, i'm usually the one dealing with DS swearing in front of grannies out shopping. DP took a little longer because he's around it all day and probably swears at work - changing into daddy-mode when he gets home is probably tricky. BUT then he got stuck with a couple of outbursts out shopping and he really started trying harder i was quite a few metres away and just got to pretend he wasn't my child and eyeballed DP with the rest of the shop's customers.

the car's one of the worst places to swear too, haha - enclosed space - kid's are paying the closest attention to everything going on.

send your DP out shopping with DS one day when DS is in a stroppy mood and hope for the best

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    DH is a sailor and has the vocab that goes with it but he is very good around DD (we are both guilty of the occasional slip up but try not to stress too much about it) But I did have to ask a GF and her hubby to watch their P's and Q's as DD is a mimic and they were using the F and C words in general conversation which bugs me and the last thing I want DD coming out with is So and so is a "f"ing C.

Whispers is offline Ocupation: Mother of 3, yes it's job, one of the hardest and one of the greatest.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    mummabear - oh it SO has to be a team effort! i cut it out immediately because of course, i'm usually the one dealing with DS swearing in front of grannies out shopping. DP took a little longer because he's around it all day and probably swears at work - changing into daddy-mode when he gets home is probably tricky. BUT then he got stuck with a couple of outbursts out shopping and he really started trying harder i was quite a few metres away and just got to pretend he wasn't my child and eyeballed DP with the rest of the shop's customers.

the car's one of the worst places to swear too, haha - enclosed space - kid's are paying the closest attention to everything going on.

send your DP out shopping with DS one day when DS is in a stroppy mood and hope for the best

I no longer take ds shopping with anymore,unless dp is there. Im just dreading school on tuesday he starts prep. Sometimes he tells me when i go to school im gonna be a good boy and not swear and not fight, then other days like today he is telling me im not going to school and im like yes you are and he is like im gonna swear there then. So i know he knows it is wrong.

Teegzie is offline in Wonderland with my little Alice!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    But yeah, changing from being a potty-mouth to someone who has to say 'FFfff ... far out' when they hurt themselves has been HARD. But until your 3 year old starts screaming obscenities in the local coffee shop/ book shop/ newsagent/ playground because you've told him to put something down ... well, that's when things start to get upsetting! Well, for me anyway. I think the worst thing is because DP and I are heavily tattooed, people just roll their eyes and figure that we're just trash. And we're not, but we definitely look it when DS is carrying on that way!

I'm just hoping as he gets older it'll be easier to explain that there's words that adults use, that children just don't!
    I know what you mean about the heavily tattooed thing! DP is covered and people just expect him to be crass and rude! His brother is even more tattooed and he is probably the most careful person around DD! He never swears or loses his temper about something when she is there to hear!

When my little sister started kinder she went right up to her teacher and said "You can't say f*** at school because f*** is a bad word! You can't say f***ing nuts, but you can say nucking futs! If you say f*** at school everyone will get upset, so you musn't say f***! Even when you f*** up you shouldn't say it!..." My Mum was mortified! She had got a bit lax about the whole swearing thing by kid number 4 so thought she should at least make an effort to get my sister to not swear at school! I do not want something like this to happen to me!

Thanks
    Reviews
    mummabear - i'm sorry, your son sounds hilarious i actually laughed out loud reading the 'well i'll swear at school' line. hahaha. it'd be so hard not to laugh at him coming back with retorts like that. i'm sure i'm in for much of the same.

teegzie - oh totally. DP is the sweetest, biggest softie in the world. you know, except for swearing like a sailor. haha. maybe it's him trying to make up for the fact that he IS such a sweetheart he has to swear to regain his manliness. and no, you do not want something like that happening to you (re:sister), seriously, i'm so pleased for you that you started this topic so you can learn from my excellent mistakes, hahaha. seriously, wish i'd learnt the same off someone before it was too late. gah!

Nowhere is offline Winner 2007- Most Supportive Of Feeding Other-Than-Breast Award
    Winner 2010- Most Optimistic Poster Award
    Winner 2010- The Most Supportive Member Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I have a potty mouth but I am trying to curb it I try not to swear around DD, and gernaly I dont

DH swears when playing the xbox f he gets out he calls the Xbox and ****ing cheating what ever bad word comes into his head

DD has on ocasion said D**K head we ignore her an she stops saying it

After her saying that I havent said bad words around her

Nowhere is offline Winner 2007- Most Supportive Of Feeding Other-Than-Breast Award
    Winner 2010- Most Optimistic Poster Award
    Winner 2010- The Most Supportive Member Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mummabear86 View Post

DP also has a potty mouth in the car he yells out to people "WHAT THE F*** YOU DOING", "LEARN TO F****ING DRIVE" and probably the most worst word, I really cant stand it," YOU F****ING C***SUCKER.

ROFL are we married to the same man lol, MY husband does exactly the same thing i sit there cringing, I must admit though he is getting better now DD is repeating sentances