+ Reply to Thread
    Eco Goddess is offline Loving life under the Bodhi tree!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default What to expect at midwife/birth centre appointment??

I will be having my bub at a midwife managed birth centre attached to a hospital and have my first appointment there next Tues. She said it will take about an hour cos they do some tests...does anyone know what will be involved?? (you would think I would have asked...but I was just too excited to think straight!)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Hello gorgeous!!!
    Firstly, good work on choosing a midwife managed centre. I wish their was a birthing centre near me instead of a hospital, I would be there in 5 secs flat!
    As far as the appt, if it is like mine, they will mainly do a lot of paperwork. Take histories from both you and your partner etc. They may also talk about your previous m/c a little, so be prepared. They also usually ask about domestic violence and they ask your DP to leave the room for that part. They also ask about depression etc, and they had me do a depression screening tool thing which was just like a little quiz. They will discuss how you intend to feed the bubs, and support systems you have in place etc.
    Anyway, after all the paperwork is done sometimes thats it, but if she said she is going to do tests, they might doppler or u/s you?? They normally check your urine each visit too. Oh and they will refer you for any further blood tests you may need and book you in for antenatal classes etc.

Hope that helps and all the best!!!

Eco Goddess is offline Loving life under the Bodhi tree!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Thanks Nic...

That was a really helpful response! Yeah, I am stoked to have a birth centre nearby (Its actually only about 10/15mins from home) and it has an amazing reputation.

I feel a little more prepared now and wont be offended if they ask DP to leave the room!

Hopefully we get to have a wander around the centre, cos apparently it is really nice!!

Again...thanks for the heads up

Mini-nic

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Well my DH was a little offended when we had our booking in last time as he didn't know why and when I told him afterwards he was quiet and upset that someone would think he did that...but I explained that its compulsory in NSW Health and he was oK. Even though I had the same lovely midwife this time she still had to do the questionaire...I asked if it counted if he elbowed me in the head when he was sleeping. But this time he was a lot more relaxed knowing it was compulsory.
    Oh, and even though its compulsory for them to ask the questions you don't have to answer them if you don't want.
    Let me know how you go!!