+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thought I'd add that at my ante natal class, we were advised to keep the birth plan as short and to the point as possible. Midwives only want to know the basic info so a short list of bullet points about each stage are strongly preferred rather than a beautifully worded essay!

HTH

Thanks
    Reviews
    I found this thread helpful, so here's my birth plan (first draft, and still have 11 weeks to go, but I'm pretty happy with it).

If all goes well...

During Labour
    Partner present
    Music played
    Lights dimmed
    To eat and drink
    Intermittent Fetal Monitoring : by use of Doppler

First Stage
    In the bath/ shower, or
    Walking around, or
    Using birth ball

Pain Relief
    Bath/shower
    Massage
    Distraction
    Attempt drug-free (will try gas if need)
    Do NOT want epidural

Birthing Positions
    Squating, or
    Kneeling, or
    Hands and knees
    (If I am in the bath when the head crowns, the water can be drained to prevent my needing to get out to birth)

Interventions
    Prefer to tear than have episiotomy
    Avoid assisted delivery unless medically necessary
    Avoid c-section unless medically necessary

After Delivery
    Partner to cut cord
    Skin to skin contact and breastfeed immediately
    Assisted third stage
    Local anaesthetic for any repairs

Newborn care
    Allow vernix to be absorbed onto baby’s skin; delay ‘cleaning’ or ‘rubbing’
    Weighing/ measuring/ assessing done in our presence
    We decline the HepB immunisation
    We consent to VitK and routine screening

Unexpected situations...

Induction
    Only if medically necessary
    Gel first- attempt to encourage labour through remaining upright and walking
    Drip increased gradually, only if necessary
    Rupturing of membranes only as very last resort

C-Section
    Only if medically necessary and as last resort
    Partner to be present
    Same “After Delivery” requests as listed above
    In case of emergency caesarean, baby to be given to partner

If Baby is Unwell
    My partner (and I, if possible) to accompany him to the NICU or another facility
    To breastfeed or provide pumped breastmilk
    To hold him whenever possible
    Last edited by Lukie; 21-04-2009 at 10:34. Reason: Editing format

Thanks
    Reviews
    Very helpful Kel! Some of us actually WANT those interventions so its nice when they're included in a checklist.

BTW demerol on the list of pain relief options is the american term for pethidine.
    Last edited by Mischief; 23-04-2009 at 08:35.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilwarrior View Post
    Birth Plan

Just a few notes on things I do and dont want

-L*** is my support person, no one else is to be in the room, other family members can wait in the waiting room down the hall.
    -Please do not permit observers such as students into the room without our expressed permission.
    -I am keen to use the shower/bath to help with contractions
    -I would also like to try the Gas before anything else
    -Cesarean is to be avoided unless absolutely necessary.
    -L*** is to cut the cord
    -Baby can be put onto my chest straight away.
    -I plan on breast feeding bub.

What do you think of this?? I am not to concerned on how it happens. What ever is best for me and bub. But there were a few things that we wanted.
    Feed back would be great!

I think it's good- I think I will write something very light like this too as a detailed one (one of my friends had 5 pages!!!) would put my obs off!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey girls,

As a Doula I have a lot of experience with birth plans. Go over your choices of pain relief, when to go to hospital, induction, support people, birthing positions etc with your partner and support people thoroughly. Maybe take notes for reference but do not take long winded birth plans to the hospital! Sorry but I don't think they will be read nearly as thoroughly as a one page concise birth plan. Make the font at least 14 and have a couple of copies. As it is often late make it easy to read.

Give one to the midwife when you are admitted and ask that it be attached to your notes. If there is a change of shift while you are in labour make sure your support people check with the oncoming midwife that she has read your birth plan, if she hasn't give her another copy, no point getting upset if the original goes missing.

Good luck

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Beahes Doula For This Useful Post:

BluePixie  (30-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    This is mine:

We are hoping for a natural birth without unnecessary interventions or possibly the use of drugs. We appreciate your support with our birth preferences.

While these are our preferences, we recognise that in the event of unforeseen difficulties we may need to alter our expectations. Please discuss all options with us and then let us discuss them in private before proceeding.

We would like the birth experience to be respectful and private as we know this is conducive to a successful birth, with minimal interruptions, quiet voices, dimmed lighting and will provide our own music.

We do not want any visitors while laboring, or in the few hours directly after birth. Only Andrew and medical staff are to be allowed in the room with me until I advise otherwise.

ACTIVE BIRTH

I would like the freedom to choose positions, use the shower or bath, heat-pack, birth ball, and walk around in labour as desired.
    I would prefer to have intermittent external fetal monitoring rather than continuous monitoring unless it is medically necessary.
    I would like gas and possibly a walking epidural. Please advise me before it is too late so if I want an epidural, I still have time to do so. I do not wish to have pethadine.
    I wish to be free of time limits and not have my labour augmented unless in a medical emergency.
    I would only like an episiotomy if there is a genuine medical emergency. Please allow time for the perineum to stretch naturally.

CAESAREAN

If a caesarean becomes necessary we would like:

Andrew to be allowed in the operating theatre.
    To be informed as to why it is necessary and have the procedure explained.
    I would prefer an epidural rather than general anesthetic.
    Unless prevented by medical emergency, I would like my baby to be placed on my chest while you complete the procedure.
    I would like a double layer suture to be used, not a single layer in order to improve my chances for a future VBAC.
    The opportunity to breastfeed our baby in recovery.

BIRTH AND SOON AFTER

Presuming baby and I are well, we would like:

For my partner to catch our baby.
    To wait until the umbilical cord stops pulsating before clamping to allow my baby to receive the valuable blood and iron stores.
    For my partner to cut the cord.
    To have skin-to-skin contact with our baby immediately after the birth, and for as long as I want.
    For all newborn procedures (weighing and measuring) to wait until I have had time to bond with and breastfeed our baby.
    Not to have the routine Syntocinon injection to help deliver the placenta unless medical intervention is required.
    For our baby to have vitamin K as an oral dose if possible. If not possible, I consent to the injection.
    For baby to be given only breastmilk strictly no water or formula.
    To defer Hepatitis B injections until babys first vaccinations at 2 months.
    Under no circumstances is our son to be circumcised.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Here's mine. Would love some feedback :

BIRTH PLAN FOR HAYDEN!

People in attendance during my Labour and Birth
    -I’d like my husband Rob to be present at all times
    -No one else is to be present except for our obstetricians & midwives, and my music!
    Inducement
    -I’d like to give birth when my body is ready to do so on it’s own.
    -I would like to avoid the use of any medical induction unless medically required – Including Syntocinon drip, Stretch and Sweep, Gels, rupture of membranes etc.
    -If my pregnancy progresses past 40 weeks, we would prefer to base the decision to induce on our baby’s health and safety, not on my own personal discomfort or impatience.
    First Stage of Labour
    -I would like to be free to walk, change positions and use the bathroom/shower as needed or desired.
    Pain Relief
    -I do not wish to be offered any drugs for pain relief. I am quite certain that gas will make me vomit and Pethadine will make me high. I would like to avoid both of these things!
    -I will consent to an epidural ONLY IF labour goes on for a crazy long time and I am REALLY struggling.
    -I would prefer to use the shower, heat packs and position changing as my only form of pain relief
    Foetal monitoring
    -I would prefer to have the foetal heart rate monitored by a hand held device as often as required. I’d rather not be tied down at any stage as I’d like to be able to move around.
    During Birth
    -I would like the freedom to push and deliver in any position I like, preferably standing or kneeling so that gravity can help!
    Immediately Following Hayden’s Birth
    -I would like my baby placed directly onto my chest immediately after birth.
    -Rob may or may not like to cut the chord (he’s undecided!)
    -I would like as much skin-to-skin contact after he is born and time to bond with him and breastfeed him.
    -I want local anaesthesia used in the event of my tearing and needing repair.
    -I consent to an injection of Syntocinon to aid in birthing the placenta
    Newborn Care
    -Rob and I would both like to be present when Hayden is Assessed
    -We agree to all routine tests and examinations performed on our baby, including Vitamin K and Hep B injections, APGAR and newborn bloodspot screening.
    -If Hayden must be taken away for evaluation or medical treatment, Rob will accompany him at all times.
    Feeding
    -I plan to breastfeed and would like to nurse immediately following the birth.
    In the unfortunate event of requiring an Emergency Caesarean
    -I’d like a spinal block or epidural NOT general anaesthetic.
    -I wish for Rob to be present during the surgery
    -After Hayden’s delivery, I would like him placed immediately on my chest and be allowed time to bond with him and feed him while I am being stitched.
    -If possible I would like Hayden and Rob to both be with me during recovery.
    -If Hayden must be taken away for assessment or monitoring while I am in recovery, I’d like Rob to remain with him at all times

This is our ideal birth plan (Minus the Caesarean), but as we realise things don’t always go to plan, we are open to any changes that may need to be made as we go along.

Most importantly, I want to be able to bond with my baby immediately after he is born, regardless of how that birth may happen. This is the most important thing to me.
    Last edited by CazHazKidz; 24-06-2010 at 04:03.

Thanks
    Reviews
    i was eagerly looking for this kind of discussion, thanks to you all guys for sharing your views here. Thanks agains. keep it up.

mumma2cubs is offline Mumma to very active toddler with another on the way
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Lukie View Post

If all goes well...

During Labour
    Partner present
    Music played
    Lights dimmed
    To eat and drink
    Intermittent Fetal Monitoring : by use of Doppler

First Stage
    In the bath/ shower, or
    Walking around, or
    Using birth ball

Pain Relief
    Bath/shower
    Massage
    Distraction
    Attempt drug-free (will try gas if need)
    Do NOT want epidural

Birthing Positions
    Squating, or
    Kneeling, or
    Hands and knees
    (If I am in the bath when the head crowns, the water can be drained to prevent my needing to get out to birth)

Interventions
    Prefer to tear than have episiotomy
    Avoid assisted delivery unless medically necessary
    Avoid c-section unless medically necessary

After Delivery
    Partner to cut cord
    Skin to skin contact and breastfeed immediately
    Assisted third stage
    Local anaesthetic for any repairs

Newborn care
    Allow vernix to be absorbed onto baby’s skin; delay ‘cleaning’ or ‘rubbing’
    Weighing/ measuring/ assessing done in our presence
    We decline the HepB immunisation
    We consent to VitK and routine screening

Unexpected situations...

Induction
    Only if medically necessary
    Gel first- attempt to encourage labour through remaining upright and walking
    Drip increased gradually, only if necessary
    Rupturing of membranes only as very last resort

C-Section
    Only if medically necessary and as last resort
    Partner to be present
    Same “After Delivery” requests as listed above
    In case of emergency caesarean, baby to be given to partner

If Baby is Unwell
    My partner (and I, if possible) to accompany him to the NICU or another facility
    To breastfeed or provide pumped breastmilk
    To hold him whenever possible

I think this is the best one I've ever read.

To be honest, I am not adverse to intervention or pain relief and my care is through an OB who we have planned intervention with.

In saying that, it is clear you have an open mind and sensible views on how things should progress and what you'd like to experience.

Well done mate - my mother is a midwife and I can tell you those that have a lovely 2 page essay don't get them read - far better to have bullet points that is easily referenced during the labour and birth.

Also best to know what you want so that you can assert yourself in labour, but be open minded enough to know sometimes things don't go to plan and if you aren't prepared, can set you up for depression etc.

Anyway, thought I'd just let you know I thought this was brilliant and it has inspired me to follow suit and create one to take to my next OB appointment

Thanks
    Reviews
    i wish i had properly prepared my birth plan. i think it would've relieved the stress early on to have something in mind and planned before ds was born.

i think they should give a informal plan to first time mums so they can ask questions and prepare their own (at least they can advise you how they want it prepared), my ob didn't share anything with me about epis or monitoring or anything. in the end i had to ask what he was doing!?

i didn't know what questions to ask, and my support people (dp and mum) were more amazed or passing out (dp) than actually helping me and/or understand what was going on.

i'll never forget dp sitting with his legs up to his chest on a chair holding a pillow and a glass of water just because he had passed out!! i love him very much but he was useless after that! hehe