+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Last edited by faroutbrusselsprout; 09-12-2010 at 10:46.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    My birth plans have always been very simple.

Only my DH was to attend.
    What's best for baby first.
    avoid a c/s if possible.
    pain relief... gas if needed.
    to remain active if possible.
    skin to skin contact at birth and to breastfeed as soon as baby was ready.
    Just to go with the flow as all my births were very different.

So far this has worked well for me. I had 5 great hospital births.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

Sunshinebell  (08-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I have two birth plans... one for home birth, and one for if we need hospital transfer. Here's the home birth one...

HOME BIRTH PLAN

Preferences
    • DP’s role is to provide emotional and physical support and to “guard the den”.
    • Doula's role is to provide emotional, physical and practical support to both myself and Richard.
    • Midwife’s role is to remain in the background as much as possible, taking obs to check on the baby's and my safety, but otherwise not getting involved unless I request otherwise or there are safety concerns.
    • I would like someone to record my labour on paper as it progresses, not just including times etc but more like a journal.
    • Photos are fine, but from a suitable distance.
    • Please assist DP in making sure we are not disturbed by visitors or phone calls.

Labour
    • I prefer not to have any vaginal examinations unless there appears to be a problem. I do not need to know how dilated I am.
    • Please be aware of my personal space, and do not get within my breathing space without permission or approach me from behind without warning.
    • During second stage please hold any conversations out of my ear shot.
    • Please make sure snacks and drinks are within reach.
    • Can DP and/or Doula please keep my hair back off my face by smoothing it back with a cold damp cloth at regular intervals.
    • Please offer me Bushflower Essence if I am becoming distressed.
    • If I become distressed at transition, please remind me I’m in transition.

Birth
    • I would like DP or myself to 'catch' the baby.
    • Nobody is to announce the sex of our baby to either DP or myself.
    • We will leave the cord attached as long as possible before cutting.
    • We will be guided by midwife if I appear to be bleeding too much.

Post Natal Period
    • Please remind me to drink some Citravescent!
    • We decline both the Vit K injection and the HEP B immunisation.
    Last edited by NonnyMouse; 25-03-2009 at 10:58.

Thanks
    Reviews
    And here's the hospital transfer one. In case you're wondering why there's no mention of nice atmosphere, pain relief etc, it's because if I need transfer it will be an emergency, not just because I'm in labour.

HOSPITAL BIRTH PLAN

DP and I reserve our right to take some time alone to discuss any treatments or interventions recommended before giving you our permission or refusal. However, our general preferences are as follows:

Labour and Birth:
    • Midwife and/or Doula will be supporting both DP and myself if we require hospital transfer.
    • I do not consent to students or non-essential staff observing my labour or birth.
    • I do not wish to be “coached” on pushing unless there is a particular reason to think I need assistance, or unless I ask.
    • I wish to avoid a caesarean section. Please do not offer a caesarean unless my baby’s life is in immediate danger.
    • If a caesarean section becomes necessary, I would prefer to remain awake with epidural or spinal block anaesthesia. I would like my partner to stay with me at all times, and would like to breastfeed the baby as soon after birth as possible.
    • I would like the lights dimmed when my baby is born, and for the minimum amount of noise to be made. I hope that it will be a gentle entry into the world.
    • Please do not announce the baby's sex as DP and I would like to find out for ourselves.

Care of the Perineum:
    • I would rather tear naturally than have an episiotomy.
    • I would prefer to avoid having stitches if possible, so if you think any tear will heal of its own accord, without stitches, please let me know.

Third Stage:
    • I would like a fully natural third stage, allowing the placenta to arrive in its own time and with the cord left attached. I wish no drugs to be used unless specifically indicated. It is important to me that you do not cut or clamp the cord unless you need to take emergency steps which preclude this. I do not wish drugs to be offered to speed up this process.
    • Do not cut the cord. We will do this when we are ready – this may be hours after the birth or not at all.

If there are problems after the birth:
    • Do not take baby away from me if he/she needs resuscitation. Please have the equipment near the bed ready for use.
    • Please do not admit baby to Special Care simply for observation, but only if there is a specific reason for concern.

Care of the baby:
    • We decline the Hep B immunisation.
    • We decline the Vitamin K injection.
    • I would like to keep the baby unclothed and close to my skin immediately after birth, to maximise skin-to-skin contact.
    • Please do not suction mucus from the baby's nose and mouth 'just in case' - only suction if necessary.
    • Assuming all is well, baby remains with us at all times. Apgars to be checked by observation while I am holding baby.
    • Baby will be weighed when we are ready for this to happen – do not ask to weigh baby within the first hour.
    • Baby is not to be bathed or dressed by anyone but DP or myself.

Baby Feeding:
    • I would like to breastfeed my baby as soon as possible after the birth
    • Please do not give my baby supplements of glucose water or formula without my permission.
    • Baby is not to have a bottle. If feeds are required in hospital and I cannot breastfeed we prefer to use expressed colostrum fed from a spoon or syringe.

Going Home
    • I would like to go home as soon after the birth as I am able to move, unless I or the baby have health problems which require hospital treatment.
    Last edited by NonnyMouse; 25-03-2009 at 10:27.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to NonnyMouse For This Useful Post:

3'llhavetodo is offline Before we as mothers can look after our loved ones we must first look after ourselves
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    What a great idea.
    I will post both of mine as I have a detailed and short one for quick reference.

Birth Plan for Leonie Potter,

As this is a planned VBA2C birth, we are hoping to achieve an active, positive and natural birth. We have listed our preferences below, these decisions have been made after much research, consultation and thought, your help in attaining these goals is very much appreciated.
    It is my ideal to give birth vaginally, with as little medical intervention as possible.
    I do not wish to have any time limits placed on any stage of my labour. My mother took 22 hrs to birth me so I do not expect a quick labour.
    This birth plan is assuming my labour does not encounter any problems - if it does not, we are flexible about deviating from the plan if it is medically necessary, but we wish to be informed of the risks, benefits and necessity of intervention and to participate in these decisions.

First stage of Labour:
    * I do not wish to automatically have a drip inserted. I will consent to one later if needed.
    * I want to free to move as much as I like during labour. This includes walking, yoga poses and showering.
    * I would like to be free to eat and drink as I feel that I need to during labour. I understand that this is a higher risk labour so agree to make easily digestible food choices should I feel the need to eat.
    * I do not wish to have anyone else in the room other than James, my birthing assistant and the Midwife unless complications ocurr.
    * I would appreciate advice on positioning and breathing techniques but request the right to choose what I use and don't.

Fetal Monitering:
    * I do not wish to be hooked up to a fetal moniter as the belt will restrict my ability to move.
    * I would prefer to have the fetal heart rate monitered by a hand held device as often as required.

Labour Augmentation:
    * I do not consent to any labour Augmenting Drugs.
    * I will allow my mebranes to be ruptured with prior discussion.
    * I want to be free to drink Red Rasberry leaf tea.
    * I want to be offered natural methods of labour augmentation if required.ie nipple stimulation, position change.

Pain Relief:
    * I do not wish to be offered pain relief, I will ask for what I want as I need it.
    * If I ask for pain relief please check if I am entering transition and if so allow me to re-evaluate.
    Second Stage of Labour:
    * I want to be free to direct my own labour ie. be free to change position, push when I feel I need to.
    * James would like to 'catch' the baby.

Third Stage of Labour:
    * I do not wish to be given any drugs to assist with the delivery of the placenta.
    Immediately after Delivery:
    * If possible I want the baby to be photographed with a clock in the background ASAP after delivery to show time of birth.
    * I want the baby placed on my chest immediately after delivery and use my body and a blanket to warm the baby.
    * James will cut the chord when it has stopped pulsating as this will ensure the baby has optimal blood transferred back into it's body.
    * I want to be asked if I am ready for my baby to be assessed and want this done with James and I present
    * I want local anaesthesia used in the event of my tearing and needing repair.
    Post-Partum:
    * I would like a bed next to the window if possible, preferrably not next to the bathroom.
    * I will have my baby with me at all times.
    In the event of requiring a Ceasarean:
    * If a ceasarean is suggested I would like a second opinion wherever possible.
    * I want a spinal block/epidural and not general anaesthetic.
    * I wish for the naked baby to be placed on my chest immediately after birth.
    * I would like my placenta removed by controlled chord retraction rather than manually to reduce the risks of bleeding and infection.
    * If possible I want James and the Baby with me in recovery.
    * I do not want for any family or friends to see the baby until I am out of recovery.

Birth plan for Leonie Potter
    In the event of variation to the birth plan we wish to be informed of the risks, benefits and necessity of intervention and to participate in these decisions.
    I do not wish to have any time limits placed on any stage of my labour.
    First stage of Labour
    • I don't wish for a drip to be put in until needed.
    • I want to be free to move.
    • I want to be free to eat and drink.
    • I do not wish for anyone other than James and the Midwife to be in the room unless complications occurr.
    • I would appreciate advice on positioning and breathing techniques.
    • I do not wish to be hooked up a fetal moniter.
    • I do not consent to any labour Augmenting drugs.
    • Please offer Natural methods of labour augmentation if any is required.
    • I do not wish to be offered pain relief.
    • If I request pain relief, please check if I am entering transition and if so allow me to re-evaluate.
    Second stage of Labour
    • Please allow me to direct my labour.
    • James will 'catch' the baby.
    • James will cut the chord when it has stopped pulsating
    Third Stage of Labour
    • I do not wish to have any drug to asist with birthing the placenta
    Immediately after Delivery:
    • If possible I want the baby to be photographed with a clock in the background ASAP after delivery to show time of birth.
    • I want the baby placed on my chest immediately after delivery and use my body and a blanket to warm the baby.
    • I want to be asked if I am ready for my baby to be assessed and want this done with James and I present
    • I want local anaesthesia used in the event of my tearing and needing repair.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to 3'llhavetodo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think my Obs would advise me to find another obs if I wrote a birth plan like that... I am not sure he would even feel comfortable with me writing one at all. Is anyone else experiencing that their Ob does not like birth plans?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I get the impression that most OBs would prefer women not to have a birth plan, as it indicates that they actually might have some idea about their options and won't be blindly led into being subjected to unnecessary intervention. In which case - all the more reason to have a birth plan, or at least have the discussion with your OB. It is better to get your opinion/desires out in the open now, before you are in the throws of labour and unable to make an informed choice. If you can't discuss important aspects of your birth with your OB now, what say are you going to have when you are in labour.

If you are happy to go along with anything and everything they say, then don't do anything. But if you have preferences for letting nature take its course, delayed cord clamping, Vit K etc - you need to discuss it now.

Also - it doesn't have to be as detailed as some of the PPs - but if you have some particularly strong feelings about specific issues I would at least consider discussing them with your OB and writing them down.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by clucky77 View Post
    I think my Obs would advise me to find another obs if I wrote a birth plan like that... I am not sure he would even feel comfortable with me writing one at all.

Wow. That's really sad.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you so much for this thread!! I have thought about doing a Birth Plan but hadn't really known what to put in it. I was going to do some research into them, and probably still will but this has definitely given me something to think about.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Birth Plan

Just a few notes on things I do and don’t want

-L*** is my support person, no one else is to be in the room, other family members can wait in the waiting room down the hall.
    -Please do not permit observers such as students into the room without our expressed permission.
    -I am keen to use the shower/bath to help with contractions
    -I would also like to try the Gas before anything else
    -Cesarean is to be avoided unless absolutely necessary.
    -L*** is to cut the cord
    -Baby can be put onto my chest straight away.
    -I plan on breast feeding bub.

What do you think of this?? I am not to concerned on how it happens. What ever is best for me and bub. But there were a few things that we wanted.
    Feed back would be great!