+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Parents advertise online for surrogate grandparents

Parents advertise online for surrogate grandparents

By Xanthe Kleinig
    The Daily Telegraph
    January 16, 2009 02:52am
    • Use net to find surrograte grandparents
    • Re-connect with family values
    • 10 per cent of children have no contact

PARENTS are advertising online for surrogate grandparents to shore up their family networks and re-connect with traditional values.

The hunt for nannas and pops comes as figures reveal 10 per cent of children have no, or limited, contact with their grandparents, The Daily Telegraph reports.

Australian Institute of Family Studies deputy director Matthew Gray the tyranny of distance and family breakdowns were the most-common reasons keeping children and their grandparents apart.

And as the life expectancy for both men and women continues to rise and women put off having children until later, some prospective grandparents are waiting longer for their children to have children.

The average age of a first-time mother today is about 29, five years older than in 1975.

Dr Gray said, as a result, many people were not becoming grandparents until their 60s, unlike a generation ago when 50-something nans and pops were common.

He said some grandparents were missing out on quality time with their grandchildren because they were still in the workforce in their 60s.

"Many women are also still employed (at that age) and would like to be involved but can't," he said.

Debbie Fitzsimmons , of Farley in the Hunter Valley, is searching or a surrogate nan or pop for children Jake, 3, and Holly, 1.

"I've got two small children now and my father lives away from us and my partner's mother is not very involved," Ms Fitzsimmons said yesterday. "I grew up with two sets of grandparents which I benefited from big time."

She said her grandmothers taught her to cook, knit and crochet and passed down stories about their family history - something her children were missing out on.

"They don't have grandparent there to teach them those values," Ms Fitzsimmons said.

She also worries that her children will be left out when they start school, with other children having grandparents on hand to help with history projects and special days at school.

Sydney mother Grace De Rossi has turned to advertising for a grandparent after her four-year-old son "broke my heart" asking her to "buy me a poppy". "My Nicholas turned around to me and said, 'Mummy, I want a grandfather'," Ms De Rossi of Sutherland said.

With both of her parents dead and her son's father not involved, Ms De Rossi said she did not want her boy to miss out on a relationship with the older generation.

"I think it would help me, too, I don't have parents or someone to share things with," she said.

While advertising for a grandparent to "adopt a child and his family", she said the relationship would be a two-way street. "You would help each other out," she said.

Experts yesterday said that the phenomenon of seeking "surrogate" grandparents reflected a lack of support for parents and families.
    http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574...-36398,00.html

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    i think thats beautiful!
    i wish my parents could have done something like that. Instead i just adopted all my friends grandparents

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    "Please buy me a Poppy" (Oh that is sooo cute and yet a little sad)
    I think it's a great idea on SO many levels that could work out extremely well for ALL parties.
    I'd like to Give loneliness for an elderly person a good kick out the door!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default grandparents wanted

We are a family of 4, myself, James and our two kids. We recently moved to Australia from the UK and are missing our families. We are keen to meet up with surrogate grandparents as we both feel it's important for our kids to have some seniors in their lives. I also miss by Mum and would love someone older than me to talk to. We want surrogate grandparents to fully participate in our family. So we've taken the first step and created a profile on grandparentswanted.com - I'm so excited

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SamanthaJ41 View Post
    We are a family of 4, myself, James and our two kids. We recently moved to Australia from the UK and are missing our families. We are keen to meet up with surrogate grandparents as we both feel it's important for our kids to have some seniors in their lives. I also miss by Mum and would love someone older than me to talk to. We want surrogate grandparents to fully participate in our family. So we've taken the first step and created a profile on grandparentswanted.com - I'm so excited

Hi, I too am from England and completely by myself. I am still working as a semi retired teacher and have lots of interests but I miss having a family and would like to hear from you.