+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I was due to have an elective at 38+3, but my waters broke, so I had an emergency (under general, because of a suspected blood clot). My DS' agpars were 8 and 9. He was 7pd 6oz. We had a few hiccups with my supply - I ended up 'topping up' with formula once or twice a day when I felt he wasn't getting enough breast milk - but this may have been more to do with the general anaesthetic and the antibiotics I was prescribed for a wound infection, rather than the c/s as such. By 8 weeks he was fully breast fed. I was a bit worried about him being delivered in the 38th week but it all worked out fine for us.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi

I had both my DD's by elective caesar (by choice). My first was at 38.5 weeks. She had no problems after birth. Her apgars were 8 and then 9. I was ready to have bub

My 2nd DD was born at 38.3 weeks. She did have problem with swallowing amniotic fluid, she had "sticky lungs" and a few other breathing problems. Her apgars were 6 and 4 ( i think) they were a lot lower than my first. She ended up spending 5 days in the special care nursery in a humidi crib. feed through a drip and on antibiotics and other stuff. She is now a healthy, active 18mth old. In the first 9 mths she did get a lot of chest infections but that seems to have settled as she is growing.

So do I wish I had the section later well I don't know as there is no saying that this would have been different had I had her at 40 weeks, nor is anything that proved she would have not had any problems had I had her vaginally. So given she is a healthy active and cheeky 18mth old I am happy with that.

Of course I wish she was with me from when she was born as I didn't see her till lunch time the next day, but they looked after her in a way I couldn't and that was what she needed then. If she was born before all technology she probably would not be here today. That is the way I look at it.

Good LuckI hope all goes wonderful for you

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    i had my son 2 weeks ago at 38+2 weeks and he was perfect - no problems feeding, is alert.... just had a touch of jaundice.

I was so happy after DD born at 36 weeks who had severe jaundice and was unable to suck.

i think the later you are able to have the baby the better but lots of women have babies at 38 weeks naturally so I think it's late enough.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi there,
    Both my boys were delivered via C-sect at about 38+ weeks... and healthy, with agpars 9 and 10 respectively So no issue there...

However, with this third one, my obstetrician wants to operate in the 39th week... as long as bb doesn't decide to pop early

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I had my DS1 at 37w, 6d by emergency caesar. Apgars of 10 and 10. He did end up in SCU though... but it had nothing to do with his gestational age (he got wedged in my pelvis and sustained a head injury.. hence the emergency caesar).

My second DS was born via elective caesar at 37w, 4 days. Apgars of 9 and 9. No issues at all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I actually asked my OB to go to 39 weeks as I have a friend who had her DS by c/s at 38 weeks and he had breathing difficulties, which was put down to him being undercooked.

OB said (from memory) the risk of breathing problems at 38 weeks was 2%, at 39 weeks it was 1% and that even post term it did not drop to zero. She happily booked me in at 39+5 with the understanding if I go into labour earlier we will have an emergency c/s.