+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Need advice for dealing with Centrelink

Rewind,

1 month before EDD i called centrelink to see if i was entitled to a parenting payment once bub was born (DH works and i'm on maternity leave), i was told no.

For some reason i decided to call them again this morning (DS is 10 weeks old) and they told me i am entitled to a parenting payment as DH earns less than the $1400 cut off.
    While on the phone i was asked alot of questions regarding bank balance, mortgage repayments etc. I asked how much would i be entitled too as DH earns $1300 before tax ($100 less than the cut off, so i assume it would'nt be much at all) he could'nt even tell me, and he could'nt even tell me what documents i would need to take to the interview.
    The way this man spoke to me on the phone was like he thought i was scum and he even asked when i was going back to work.

Does anyone here collect P.P with a working partner?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have been on and off parenting payment with a working partner for years. There is nothing wrong with it so dont feel guilty

As for them thinking they are better than us i understand where your coming from. When my partner couldnt get paid over christmas (no boss their to sign his payslip) and we had to wait for over a month for his pay i went into my local office to ask for assitance but we still coudlnt get it. Because regardless of when we get paid the money he had already earned it. So therefore i had no money to feed my family. Ive had to cancel lots of direct debits etc to make ends meet just so we can eat. No bills are being paid at all. Its horrible!!

I asked the lady what i should do and she said 'sorry there isnt anything we can do, i know its hard' and i thought yeah right you know its hard. While your perchered up there in your chair of income.

Some people down their are great though. There is one guy who always helps me out when i need it, he is a god send :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I do. I can't tell you an exact amount, but you get something if he earns under $34 grand or so a year. You might get a little bit.

Are you getting FTB a and b? You would be entitled to both of those.

As for why centerlink staff treat clients like ****.... I don't have the answer. I think part of it is it's an assembly line to them. Whether on the phone or in person, you are a nameless face that needs govt assistance. And they are the ones in control of that.

We have a woman at our local one and she is a right biatch! She goes on about petty garbage. Last year when DH was on Newstart for a short period, she commented to him when he lodged his form that he had "too many" hospitality jobs. He curtly told her that's where he has about 6 years experience and that obviously that's where he's going to be looking. A few days later we get a letter saying that next pay he had to have all different types of jobs or he wouldn't get paid. Hmmm, wonder who did that??

Thanks
    Reviews
    i was on pp earlier last yr and my partner was earning about the same as your partner and i received $100pf but as soon as he went over the amount u receive nothing they dont make it easy for mums but if u received any payment from work before u left like unpaid leave they take all that into account when assessing u and your partners incomes
    hope this helps

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I hate how they speak down to you, I have found an office full of nice people.. which is very rare.

I am not entitled to PP. DH earns to much.

But once our tax benefit dropped by over $200 for 2 f/n in a row.. I called to question it and they made out like I was scum.

They said they would pay it back since it was a mistake on there end and never did!

RoarsomeMum is offline Right to speak, responsibility to listen..
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Oh It's Sooooooooooooooooo ANNOYING!!!

My DH is on same Income, we get $72.50 PF in Partnered parenting payments, as well as some FTB A and B. There is a HEAP of paperwork you need to take to the interview.. Def call again.. (thou you should not have to )

subaruforestermum is offline Love me or hate me...that's your problem only....
    Vote for veve! Cheekiest Mod!
    Where everyone is unique, just like everyone else....
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I guess this is why they have made centrelink available ONline, with Calculators and forms to download, and info on WHAT you need to take etc...

Cuts out the middle man....

Have you tried the online services, to give you more info...

I never deal with anyone on the phone or face to face, I do it all online, as it all gets logged, and reciept numbers issued automatically...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    We get something like $200 a fortnight (not sure what payment it is - some family payment). DH works and makes something like $60,000 a year(this includes defence allowances).
    I felt we were getting to much but it has been triple checked and all is correct.
    I would go in person - it is easier for them to be rude when they can't see you (at least i think so) or on line

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yea we claim PP. We get something like $180/fn as DP earns about $1100/fn before tax

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have done the online estimator but i'm not sure if i'm supposed to add in my FTB a&b with the "other income" part?.

I went on unpaid maternity leave, so i was'nt paid out a thing except for when i started my annual leave BEFORE commencing my M.L..

Do i need to give an estimate of my employment earnings aswell for the financial year just like i had to with the FTB?..