+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi, I used to be on this site all the time 2-3 years ago but just got busy with the kids growing up etc. I am Elle, mum to Charlie and Sophie. Charlie has severe global development delay - he cannot walk or talk but is very alert and social (and flirts with all the female doctors, nurses, carers etc ). 4 years down the track we still have no rhyme or reason as to why. I won't write too much as I just posted a massive essay on another SN thread on here last night

We are in Sydney.

Loopy Linda is offline Creator of gorgeous guys Carer of beautiful girls
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    hi mama rabbit, i remember you from before. your kids look so big now, i think your avatar from before had two little kids on the floor together? look at them now, welcome back!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Loopy Linda - you have a gr8 memory! You are right my pic was of my two lying on their tummies on the floor. I think I remember you too, although have you had a name change? Looks like lots has been happening on the SN pages, quite the community now

Loopy Linda is offline Creator of gorgeous guys Carer of beautiful girls
    Thanks
    Reviews
    nah not so much a great memory, but for ages i had you confused with another member lol then i work out who new member is and then much later i remember it was a rabbit lady i was thinking of and what happened to her??? lol yeah i changed name too.

Sn section very busy these days, they all yak too much!

but it is good new members keeps finding it and being able to talk and ask questions is great. it provides heaps of support i think.

How are the kids going? is your boy in school now?

Thanks
    Reviews
    My little Lucy was recently diagnosed with Angelman Syndrome. I think this is a good description of our angels:

Angelman Syndrome (AS) is a neurological-genetic disorder characterised by global development delays & severe speech impairment. A few individuals with AS develop functional speech, but most communicate through a mixture of gestures, eye contact, adaptive sign language & augmentative communication. Individuals with AS have developmental delays & intellectual impairment. AS also causes movement and balance disorders. Whilst some AS children achieve independent walking by the age of three, there are others who will never achieve this goal. The movement disorder can be mild (only affecting walking and some fine motor skills) or severe (preventing self help skills like feeding, walking & dressing).
    Most individuals with AS have a seizure disorder, which can be difficult to treat.
    Other challenges can also include feeding disorders in infancy, failure to thrive & sleeping difficulties.

I think Lucy is the brightest and shiniest human being I have ever met. The best thing about angels is that even though they are faced with heaps of challenges, they are mostly always happy and shiny...

Hope this helps.
    Jen

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi guys, I have a son 17 months who compared with some of your children has only VERY minor issues (so far) however, I do not feel at home in any of the other threads so thought I'd pop in and say hi!

DS is 17 months old, doesnt use any clear words so to speak but says "ooh" for "moo" (cow) and dadadadad and mumumumum but not in relation to mum or dad if you know what i mean.. he just blabs them out loud whenever the mood strikes.
    ANyway,.. he HATES food, but will eat it if watching tv, he cant chew his food and just swollows chunks whole (sensory issues the therapist is thinking) so he lives on mushed fruit, meat and veg to the same texture your typical 9 month old baby would eat.
    He has only just started walking at age 17 1/2 months (thank god) but has very weak ankles and susupected low tone and will probably need orthotics soon enough.
    Personally, I've always felt since very early on that my boy is somehow "different" to typical kids.. how i just dont know why.. I think he shows ASD tendencies, but yet he will look me and everyone else in the eye, follow commands, understands nearly everything i say or ask of him etc etc.. hes very interactive is what im trying to say.. so therefore ASD wouldnt really fit would it??? Here is a list of strange things ive noticed:

*Flapping when excited or concentrating from about 6 months old
    *used to tiptoe.. not so much anymore
    *since he's started walking he is walking in circles and flapping etc
    *fixated on crayons, pens etc
    *recently started lying down on the cold floor but only for 5 mins at a time max
    *the low tone I've heard can be mixed in with Autism etc
    *delayed speech & hmmmmms alot
    *feeding issues/delays
    *covers ears at the shops or if over stimulated
    *tunes out when over stimulate.. goes and lies on the lounge for 5 minutes and fiddles with his fingers
    *hates loud noise (since he was born, he hated hair dryers, vacuum, other babies crying) is now geting better with sudden noises though and the hair dryer and vacuum
    *hates grass
    *wont touch any slimy or wet food, hates getting icky things on him at all
    *brushing teeth aint pretty
    *has started really resisting putting clothes on

anyway, im jsut rambling trying to get it all down. hope to chat soon!
    Last edited by Happy2be3; 17-05-2010 at 08:58.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    hi there happytob3. from what you have described i would say that your son indeed is a candidate for an autism spectrum disorder. my daughter has autism and a chromosome disorder and when i read your post i thought you were discribing her! she can follow directions and understands most of what i say, but her communication is definately different and her sensory issues a nightmare...i would be getting him assessed asap.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for your reply Naomismum.. can I just ask where would one go to have their child "assessed" for the spectrum?? And do they assess kids as young as 18 months.. cuz as lots of ppl keep pointing out to me "lots of kids walk late" "lots of kids talk late" "lots of kids hate getting their hands dirty" etc etc etc.. I guess teamed with the feeding issues..

Thanks
    Reviews
    you need to go to a peadiatrician who will either diagnose him himself or send you to a developmental pead for diagnosis. you can also see a clinical child psych, but this needs to be in conjunction with a pead for ASPECT to recognise the diagnosis for funding purposes. 18months is early to diagnose as alot of development is still early but i dont think it is unheard of to diagnose that early...they may just keep an eye on him or diagnose with PDDNOS in the meantime until a full diagnosis of autism can take place. I knew naomi was asd from 12months of age....but it wasnt until 3 that we got a formal diagnosis and you willl come across some drs that wont diagnose that young. so i dont think it is too early. PM me if you have any questions. where are you located?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi everyone
    I have 4 children aged between 18 down to 3 years old. My special needs child hasn't got severe problems like some of your wee ones, but nevertheless she is special (arent' they all though? )
    She is 8 years old and very tiny, she had suspected mild hyperreflexia when she was very young, with low muscle tone which meant she didn't walk till she was 3 and needed help with physiotherapy. She also has a problem with her joints being very loose which means her elbows have dislocated many times with little effort. It's easy to pop it back in though thank goodness.
    My 3 year old son also didn't walk till he was almost 2 so we thought he had the same problems.. he shares other symptoms with her also, but doesn't have her main diagnosis which is Epilepsy.
    Her seizures are uncontrolled. She has a few a day which is an improvement from a year ago when she was having up 40 a day. She has 2 types of seizures which are complex partial and generalized absence.
    Since her seizures have become less frequent her delays have improved but she still has terrible problems with her post-ictal (the phase coming out of seizures) phase which makes her violent and unconsolable. Fortunatley this is only a problem a few times a day now, so she can function pretty well with normal social activities. She goes to a Steiner school and is finding a less main****** environment easier to cope with especially with the smaller class sizes and the one teacher right through primary school.

Cheers