ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by our little treasures View Post
    Yes but they won't even put your application to the landlord. I am sure the op would be happy to pay more but unfortunately the Agents will not process the application if it is more than 30%.
    Keep trying different agents - I go through an agent

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    ladybugblue84 you should put your name down on community rent scheme waitlists too. Being under 25, low income and a single parent put you in a higher priority catergory. In Bris you have MATCH, Redback, INCH and Mangrove housing just to name a few. I've got a list of numbers if you are interested? Otherwise as i said before you can get a list of them from Department of houing.

I was on the waitlist for about 2 months before i got one. Rent is 25% of your income.. excluding you FTB part B

3. The Following User Says Thank You to HarvestMoon For This Useful Post:

PurpleButterfly4  (14-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yep, i know the feeling, except dp is on a dsp and i'm on a carers.

Apparently while we qualify for gov housing (we are housed innapropriately for dps conditions, and have a bub on the way and no room), we only qualify for the wait turn list - that could be 5 to 10 yrs and dp is getting worse rapidly)

but the government say we could pay up to $600 a fortnight between us so we dont qualify for priority.

I've now applied for 42 properties and been turned down. agents have admitted their 30% income rule - that only qualifys us to pay $360 a forntnight - yeah, like we'll find somewhere suitable for $180 a week

So we're stuck between a rock and a hard place so to speak, watching dp get worse and worse....

i dont know what people in our situation are meant to do.
    i'm on the verge of going to ACA or TT i swear!

PinkTurtle is offline I'm the master of my own destiny...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    CaitlinArai22 - $180 is what I think my 30% limit is too which is suckful because the rentals are about $250-255.. some of them are a little bit more - but I actually thought $255 was cheap! But I don't really know how much money i'd actually get paid on the SPP plus child support because they won't pay me until I no longer live in my Ex's house. I did that calculator thing on CSA website and with two bubbas apparently my Ex should pay a bit over $900 a fortnight... I don't know how accurate that thing is and I know there are other factors that influence the sum that they ultimately calculate.

My Ex has agreed to pay the bond and rent until Centrelink starts paying me etc. So that is something... He gets a fat pay cheque, so they shouldn't knock him back. But i'm just wondering if goes guarantor whether that will effect rent assistance for me?

Had four inspections booked for today, three cancelled on me last minute. Bit of a wasted trip because we actually live 45mins out of Toowoomba and I was a bit disappointed because they had cancelled due to them approving leases for the properties. I think it's going to be a bit of a hard feat trying to get a rental

As for moving to Brisbane, I don't think i'd like to live there anyway - rent would be much more expensive there. My solicitor said that since my Ex actually works 5 days on 5 days off (underground mining) where my parents happen to live... We could go to court and ask for permission to change postcodes on the basis that he 'lives' there for half of the year - he said we'd have more success applying for permission on that basis. Apparently the last 18 months the court has really tightned the belt on this one as it's in the best interest of the child to have regular access to both parents. He did say however, if the parent with custody had the consent of the other parent - it wouldn't be a problem. But my Ex does have a problem with it. I'm thankful I can atleast live in Toowoomba I suppose, not stuck out bush.

I really don't want my children to share bedrooms especially whilst the smallest is still a newborn. My first daughter started sleeping through at 8 weeks and if my 2nd daughter takes to sleeping through like my 1st - awesome! I'd certainly feel better about putting them into a room together. But whilst my first daughter wakes at the crack of the floor boards, I don't think it'd be such a good idea for them to be bunk buddies if I want to keep my sanity! After all... I won't have anyone for support... I won't have anyone to do just one night shift duty for me... I won't have anyone to help me with one screaming bub who has been woking by another screaming bub... I won't have anyone to look after my oldest bub whilst I have a nap whilst my nb daughter sleeps. I did do it all on my own with my first daughter... but I also slept when she slept during the day - I found it really easy because I actually got sleep. All those little luxuries like sleep I had with the first one will be lost with my second daughter. But we will find away to get thought it, just me and my girls!

I did try with my first daughter having her bassinette in our room as I was convinced that would be best during my pregnancy - but unfortunately I couldn't stand it! I couldn't sleep at all with her in there because I could hear every little murmur, grunt, breath that she took - despite being the heaviest sleeper known to man kind before I became a mother... Call me selfish, but I NEED sleep to function - especially if I'm going to be functioning with two children by myself.

Thanks for all of your advice and support... It helps to know that i'm not the only one that is going through this rigmarole! I will certainly contact Department of housing... although my pride has gotten in the way of me doing this earlier! I've always owned house/s, in 2008 he and I sold 2 of our own rental properties (plus a main dwelling)... unfortunately it all went into the farm or the bank (which only has his name on it). I've never needed help, not even when I left home. It's hard without it now though since I have children. I suppose all I can do is keep applying for rentals and hope eventually they will approve me. I need to find a property that is on the market long enough for me to actually apply for first! That thought keeps reoccuring in my head... It would be SO much easier to forfeit my quest for seperation and just wither away in the corner! Thanks ladies.

BabyfacedMum is offline Baby face, You've got the cutest lil' baby face!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Not to be a wet blanket BUT how did you arrive at the figure of $900 per fortnight?

I read in a previous thread that you said that your ex partner is self-employed and pays himself a pittance?

To get $900 a fortnight your ex-Dh will need to be on an income of in excess of $250,000 per year.....and unless he is in reciept of an income of this magnitude that is verifiable by the tax office as being HIS income (as opposed to business income) then he will not be assessed as having to pay you even close to $900 per fortnight. Business income is different to personal income and is not subject to CSA calculations unless in very specific circumstances.

Not trying to deflate your balloon but I don't want you to be relying on getting this huge child support windfall each fortnight just to have it not eventuate. And your ex DH sounds quite tricky when it comes to finances so be careful.

Also if you DO happen to recieve this much in child support then unfortunately you will not be eligible for public housing as they go on a set household budget which is in proportion to your household size and with that amount of CS and centrelink you will be well and truley over the limit. $900 is what a lot of sole parents have as their entire income - not just as the CS componant.

As for the "separated under one roof" deal. Appeal centrelinks decision as they CANNOT prevent your from recieving the payment because you are still co-habitating with your ex. My mum is an ARO for centrelink and her job revolves around legislation and policy and it is ILLEGAL for centrelink to withhold payment based on ONE factor - such as the fact that you are still living with ex. They can give you a time frame with which to ATTEMPT to find another place....however if you are unsuccessful they cannot stop payment.....you do need to be trying to find another place OR have a very good reason to still be co-habitating with him - such as illness, dire financial circumstances, cultural issues etc.

If you have time....try and find out the correct legislation (I will get it off mum sometime soon and post it for everyone dealing with this on bubhub).

Over 60% of decisions regarding cancellation/withholding of the SPP is overturned on ARO appeal...and a further 40% is eventually overturned after further appeals (Social Security Appeals Tribunal etc which is NOT part of centrelink but is independant of them).....unfortunately the vast majority of people given the wrong information do NOT appeal......which is why most centrelink workers remain completely uneducated on correct policy and social security law. I don't think they intentionally provide wrong information but they simply do not KNOW the correct procedure as most customer service reps are quite poorly trained in legislation and application (which is why you will often hear conflicting advice on the same question from 2 different centrelink workers)....they are just human beings who are taught how to use a computer and input data....with the case of marriage like relationships and living separated under the same roof they are simply told to use their own discretion but are not taught the finer details regarding social security law. Which is why ARO's exist....they are more trained in legislation and are the safety net for the client and are the "patch" that are there to fix holes in the application of the system.

As long as you are doing the right thing they cannot refuse to pay you.

YOu should gather up all your evidence of looking for alternative accomodation - such as rental applications, perhaps emails to REA asking about available properties etc. Take these into centrelink and use it as evidence of your trying to look for another place.....if you are still unsuccessful then tell the customer service officer to review his/her decision and if she either refused or comes back with the same decision tell her that you wish for the decision to be reviewed by an Authorised Review Officer and that you will also be considering applying for compensation due to an administration breach! This will quickly change his/her mind about your payment eligibility.

I would also advise that you speak to the "welfare rights" service....they are solicitors who are experts in welfare law and will help you write and file your appeal, they are also a free service.

Also check out their website to get some more info on "separated under one roof" and what centrelink can and cannot do regarding paying you.

Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PinkTurtle View Post
    I did that calculator thing on CSA website and with two bubbas apparently my Ex should pay a bit over $900 a fortnight... I don't know how accurate that thing is and I know there are other factors that influence the sum that they ultimately calculate.
    Is that including Centrelink, or not..

Because to get that from him would be near impossible. I did the calculator not long ago and for 2 kids I would only get $150 a week.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by our little treasures View Post
    Yes but they won't even put your application to the landlord. I am sure the op would be happy to pay more but unfortunately the Agents will not process the application if it is more than 30%.
    Not true here, Our rent has always been more than 30% of our income and we are through an agent.

Srsly people need a roof over their heads and public housing is a mess.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    It's a terribly difficult situation you are in OP, and as a single parent it's so hard. When I split with my ex he put his name down on my new lease too as I had a hope in hell of getting a place on my own, I was no longer working and had a newborn, plus pets!

I don't know but if I were you I'd probably get something a bit smaller for now and get a bigger place down the track a bit.

What will your ex do to help with daily care of kids?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Just letting everyone know in case you don't already realise this is a really old thread

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rodeobull For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (13-12-2013),MrJones&Me  (13-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Without sounding harsh you don't 'need' a 3 bedroom place.
    Your baby can be in a room with you, you could even make it work in a one bedroom place.
    You can't financially afford a 3 bedroom place so look for a smaller one that you can afford. In time I'm sure your situation will improve and you can get a bigger place.

I lived many years in a small unit while I studied and got work experience.

Sorry but I think some people need a reality check.