ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    PinkTurtle is offline I'm the master of my own destiny...
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Rent application critera - rent no more than 30% of income?!

Seriously, how is a single mother on single parent pension meant to be able to afford rent if this is the case? Rent is so expensive these days and I need atleast a 3 bedroom home for the kids... maybe if they were older they could share a room, but whilst they are both still so young (one being a newborn) - I'm not really keen on them waking eachother up all through the night.

I will be getting the family assistance payments plus child support, but even with rent assistance - i'm still struggling to find a place.

If you don't mind me asking, how much rent are you paying? Is it below 30% of your income? Maybe I just have to put my newborn daughter into childcare straight away so I can go back to work so I can afford a place? How do you do it? I feel like everything is against me. My solicitor said I can't move away from the area by law because my ex lives here and it's in the best interest of the children to have regular consistant access to both parents. That's all fine and dandy, but I don't even know anyone here. I don't even have any family here to help me when the new baby comes. I had my interview with centrelink yesterday and they won't approve the payments because they don't have enough proof that i'm not living in a marital relationship, so I need to move out before they will help me - yet I can't move out with out a regular income... it's a vicious cycle! Fortunately my husband is starting to cooperate in hopes of keeping it out of court. He has offered to pay my bond and rent until centrelink starts paying me and then he will just continue his payments as child support. I thought centrelink would have a problem with this because he would be basically supporting me (more than even when we were in a marital relationship), but they said it was a great option because i'd be scene as single since living at a seperate address and his rent payments would be classified as child maintenace. But now i'm finding it hard to even find a place i'm going to be able to afford to rent with the income I get from centrelink because of the rental agent saying that rent has to be less than 30%.... I just want to scream....
    Last edited by PinkTurtle; 06-01-2009 at 11:03.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Do you have any community housing providers or supported accommodation you could apply for in your area? Department of housing will be able to supply you with a list of these. Getting your name on department of housing is probably a good idea too.

With private rentals i think your best bet is to move to outer cheaper/dodgy areas. You will probably have more luck there. Unless you just settle for a 2 bed unit? Would you be able to share with your newborn? Thats what i did when i was in the same situation.

As for not moving away.. you should still be able to move to close towns. Like living in bris shouldn't be an issue as it's only an hour to an hour an a half drive to Toowoomba. It all really depends on what you and your ex agree on. I have a friend who lives out ipswich way and her ex lives up at the Sunshine coast.. They just meet at a half way point when dropping the children off. That was decided through court too. You don't have to stay in the same exact town.. just relatively close usually.
    Courts will sometimes make exemptions to this say for the fact that you have no family/friends for support where you live. If you wanted to move to be closer to them you may be able to. they will sometimes make the exemption for work reasons as well.

I know it's all so difficult.. have been there before and am going through it all again. You will get there though!
    Good luck with it all!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    30%

Mine was a little over 50%.

our little treasures is offline Gorgeous family wonderful friends <3 life!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    You are right about the 30% of income. Our agent told us that they only accept applicants when the rent is only 30% of their total incomes..

I know it's hard but it is really a good thing. So many people get into a lot of debt over committing to rent. I THINK it is a very responsible thing for the agents to do..

It sounds like you would fit into the category for a public house.. Perhaps have a chat to the housing department

OJandMe is offline I am the strength my children will have.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I'm not a single parent, and can't imagine what you're going through..

But I do have 4 kids, and they all share rooms.

O and J have always shared a room. And G and J2 will share once J2 moves out of my room. I have had them sleep in the same room for a week, and J2's night wakings (4 times a night) didn't wake G in the slightest... and he is a LIGHT sleeper.

They do just learn to sleep through each other's noise...

Hope that at least helps to put your mind at ease is they do need to share a room.

And I second the people who have said to try private rentals.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Before I started work, I paid well over 50% of my income on rent.

I flat out refuse to live in a questionable area in a place with no room for DS to run about.

I'd rather have little money and live in a decent place than spend less on rent and live in a place I hate.

our little treasures is offline Gorgeous family wonderful friends <3 life!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Angike View Post
    Before I started work, I paid well over 50% of my income on rent.

I flat out refuse to live in a questionable area in a place with no room for DS to run about.

I'd rather have little money and live in a decent place than spend less on rent and live in a place I hate.
    Yes but they won't even put your application to the landlord. I am sure the op would be happy to pay more but unfortunately the Agents will not process the application if it is more than 30%.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    It's the same with buying a home. They don't like you to spend more than 30% of your income on accommodation costs.

I know with the bank I worked with though, if you could show that you had good money management skills, they would often bend the rules.

Check it out with the property managers you are dealing with.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    When I was on SPP alone my rent was 70-something% of my total income. It really was a nightmare, pretty hard to live week to week. Luckily I was approved for this place when there were 2 of us working full time. Then the ex moved out and I went on maternity leave.
    I've managed to stay here and have never once been late with my rent, which is something I'm proud of.

Have you got a parent/friend that earns quite a bit? They might agree to go on the lease with you but just not live there. It's worth a try. Good luck, i'll be thinking of you. I can only imagine how stressful it would be

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I don't really have any advice but I can sympathise. I'm in the same boat & I don't see myself moving out of my dads place any time soon. It's a bit depressing. I'm going to put my name down with housing commission and start looking for a job.