ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Well considering the milk ducts are no where near the wire I can't see the issue really.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I've worn underwire bras through both pregnancies with no problems. I think this is one of those irritating stories that serve to make women paranoid and encourage them to spend hundreds on new bras - probably thought up by lingerie companies. lol.

I actually have an underwire maternity bra I bought online, cost a fortune though ($119) but worth every penny. It's apparently made out of soem special flexible wire though I can't tellt he difference.

Wearing a tight bra or compressing your breasts in any way is another matter though and is a mastitis risk and would be uncomfortable.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Thanks for all your replies ladies - I think what she was alluding to was an increased risk of breast cancer.

It doesn't make sense to me though, seeing as when you are an adolescent with growing and changing breast tissues you are not told to forgo underwire

I'll take it with a grain of salt methinks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Breast tissue changes and grows during pregnancy, even where the underwire sits, so thats why they advise not to wear them. My midwife told me at my first antenatal appt to stop wearing them, and I have done so since. I didnt know about it during my first pregnancy and had some supply issues (dont think it was related though), so Im doing all I can to help avoid that this time around. Even if its an overexaggeration, I dont see the harm in switching to a maternity/breastfeeding bra, since like others have said, they are pretty supportive.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Actually, I was told that overall wire isn't really a healthy thing for boobs at all.

Its up to the individual, but many bras that have a different kind of support are much more comfortable and just as supportive.

Thanks
    Reviews
    If maternity bras are as supportive as people claim...then the strong elastic that sits under your breasts to hold them up...would be just as bad as underwire.

Personally I think it's a load of rot...myself...but to each their own.

Thanks
    Reviews
    ive never heard of such a thing...
    Im 32+ weeks now & still to this day im wearing underwire....
    if it was really that bad, im sure everyones dr's would have warned them on how bad they were

Thanks
    Reviews
    Do a google search girls...the general consensus is that there is no concrete evidence that it makes a difference, but there may be enough to warrant wearing a non-underwire bra, especially in the later stages of pregnancy and during breastfeeding. Like someone else said, each to their own, but its a good idea to do your own research before dismissing it...

Thanks
    Reviews
    I almost feel tempted to post pics of me in an underwire and me in an industrial sized maternity bra with no wire to prove they are definitely not as supportive! lol!

Have to agree that I think it's a load of bollocks... but it may depend on the individual woman. I've never found underwire uncomfortable at all or that it sticks into me - but if you are someone who does find an underwire uncomfortable, perhaps you might be someone who is better off avoiding them when the breasts are so sensitive/ changing

Thanks
    Reviews
    I also heard from a friend that underwire during pregnancy can affect the milk coming in - so at my first antenatal appointment, the midwife told me it was okay to wear underwire.

I have gone up to a size F since being pregnant and I am finding it so hard to find maternity bras in this size so I will probably have to buy online. I am currently still in an underwire bra at 19 weeks, but I am finding it very uncomfortable so think I will soon buy a different bra.

i think it comes down to personal choice.