+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Absolute Age Limits?

Not sure if there is a black or white answer to this one but
    I was just curious....if a woman of say 39 or 40 years of age
    was a willing donor, would they be considered, or is egg
    donation simply out of the question for them?

Thanks
    Reviews
    The clinics generally have 35 as the cut off date.

If you respond to an advert it basically at the discretion of the recipient. Some will accept ladies 36, perhaps older.

Ultimately after usually numerous unsuccessful IVF cycles its in the best interest to maximise your chances of success. Its generally stated that a woman's fertility decreases at 35 and recently this has been reevaluated by some clinics and they believe it is now 32. Once you hit 40 your fertility decreases signficantly.

Many of the ladies looking for donors are in fact in their 30's so a donor of 39 or 40 would probably be older than they are.

sarahstarfish is offline Senior Member
    WINNER 2006 Bub Hub Awards: Most Community Minded Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey Tracie

I read a post last week (somewhere?) from a woman whose 40 year old donor got them their treasured baby, so it DOES happen.

Clinics vary, but generally anonymous donors are 35 and under, and known donors are 38 and under. Having said that, recipients who have treasured friends or relatives around the 38 mark obviously go into battle to have them donate for them...sometimes the genetic link is more important than anything else, completely understandable.

I think the biggest problem for older donors is that they need to be in a known situation so need to find that special someone to donate to, but most of the special someones are looking for their 'best' chance, who is under 35....bit of a catch-22 unfortunately. But I have to say I find it a bit sad to think there are couples languishing on waiting lists years long, while lovely older donors are being turned away because no-one wants to take a chance on them...I know it all comes down to finances, and perhaps more to the emotional bank account and how much of a deficit it is in for recipients.

Tracie, no positive advice I'm sorry....the short answer is that clinics and recipients prefer younger donors to older donors. Certainly doesn't mean every younger donor cycle is a bonanza, many aren't, but the odds are certainly in their favour against old ducks like us.

Love

Cindy