+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Frozen Eggs.. Where to From Here?

Hi Ladies,

I was hoping somewhere out there might be able to give me some advice/information. Last year DH and I had an ICSI cycle but unfortunately he didn't have any sperm due to recently having the flu so we had to have the eggs frozen.

Since I've never been in this position before I really don't know what to expect. Has anyone been in the same situation? I'm trying to get my head around what to expect this year (financially and procedurally) so any information would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi Naards

I have 13 eggs that have been on ice since Jul 08. When we had our cycle we unfortunately did not get any sperm. My DH has been giving samples but still nothing. My FS has decided that DH will give another sample plus have a biopsy - he will have 2-3 lab staff working on the samples to a) find any sperm even if it is only 1 and b) to try and find out why suddenly we have no sperm. I think the advantage of them freezing the eggs is that I don't have to go through all the meds again and plus they are not going anywhere so we can take our time in getting enough sperm to fertalise as many as we can. FS has said that he will only thaw as many eggs as there are sperm so there is no wastage. It is a unique situation and I have not known of anyone else apart from yourself now, but I think it is a good thing that they are doing this now. I am here for you anytime honey.

Luv Poss

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Naards,

DH and I chose to freeze eggs rather than embryos before we started our IVF journey. Our stim cycle produced 18 eggs - we fertilised 2 and froze the rest. Our original plan was to thaw 2-3 eggs at a time and do ICSI however as our first 2 embryos were very average we chose to thaw 8 eggs at a time to ensure we got some embryos to transfer.

The cycle is identical to a FET in that I was monitored to ensure ovulation and given pregnyl/ovidriel trigger to make pinpoint ovulation and used pessaries post transfer. They thawed the eggs and did ICSI 1-2 day post ovulation and then transfered day 4 (first FET) and day 2 embryos (second FET). I had 3 embryos from the first 8 eggs and transferred 2 and froze 1. Second FET I thawed all 8 eggs and the embryo and got 2 embyos. I was surprised that they could freeze the embryos from frozen eggs however our one arrested on thawing - not sure if this was due to its quality or other factors. I was advised when thawing eggs you can lose around 30% during the process (similar to thawing embryos).

From a financial point of view I was charged the normal FET price as well as the ICSI cost. The ICSI was not claimable from medicare as it can only be claimed with a stimulated cycle. So my FETs were about $400 more than the usual cost. I don't know if this will be the same for you as your cycle was cancelled. Your clinic can advise you accordingly.

From talking to other ladies here on BH I have found minimal difference to a standard FET and personally I am glad that I was given this option. The only difficulty DH and I had was to decide how many eggs to thaw to get some good embryos.

I wish you and possum2 all the best. I hope you both have success.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks so much for that girls... yeah it is a very rare situation it seems. When I had to freeze the eggs my clinic didn't know how much to charge and what the procedure was so I'm guessing that since I got refunded the amount for the ICSI then that's how much extra I will pay too? That's very interesting Daffy about Medicare not covering the ICSI if it's not with a stim cycle... very good information to have! Still it is very good to know that I hopefully won't have to go through the whole stim cycle again, those little eggies just need to hang in there!

Daffy I had a little giggle when you mentioned freezing the embryo's... my first thought when I found out about having to freeze my eggs was if they were able to refreeze the embryo's.. I mean, is it like chicken and you shouldn't refreeze???

Girls it is so reassuring knowing that I'm not the only one going through this and I also find it interesting that we've all been on this 'journey' for a similar amount of time. It's so hard not to think 'OK what else are you gonna throw at me!'. Thanks so much for sharing. Next step for me is to get my DH to do another sample and hope for the best. He has been going to see a Chinese Herbalist and Acupuncturist and has never felt better so I'm hoping that translates into some good news for us.

Possom, when does DH go for his biopsy? Fingers crossed for you honey, it can't be easy for both of you!

Daffy, what's next for you? Are you going to do another stim cycle?

Thanks ladies... take care!
    Last edited by Naards; 06-01-2009 at 09:13.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Naards,

It is nice to know that others are going through the same process doesn't it. DH and I are having a break for a few months to let me recover from the emotional strain and to let our bank balance recover from the financial strain,. We will do our next stim cycle (and possible last stim cycle) in about March/April. it or the FETs will work.

I liked your analogy of the chicken. It had crossed my mind.

that DHs next analysis gives a better result and that the chinese herbs etc have worked. When are you planning on doing your FET cycle?

Hope all goes well for you too possom2

Be encouraged my FS assured me that there has been successful outcomes with frozen eggs so I remain optimistic and hopeful for that elusive BFP