View Poll Results: did you need assistance with your vaginal birth??

Voters
64. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes forceps

17 26.56%
  • yes ventouse

14 21.88%
  • none, i didnt need any help

33 51.56%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mum5 View Post
    I have it in my birth plan that I prefer vacuum to forceps, mainly because with vacuum they don't neccessarily have to cut, but with forceps they definately do.
    I had forceps and wasn't cut

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I had ventouse and was cut.
    It really traumatized me, but I'm recovering from my fear!
    It also left a huge crescent wound on my sons head which became infected and we ended up in special care nursery! Very scary for a first time labour/baby experience!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Babymay View Post
    I had a ventouse with DS1 nearly ten years ago. Episiotomy plus a tear but he came out with only a tiny bruise. With DS2 (this year) I had a natural delivery. I was a bit worried about birthing my second as my epis broke down and I needed corrective revision surgery. Two OBs I spoke with said that while the rate of c sections has increased in the past ten or so years, the rate of forceps and ventouse has decreased. Interesting I thought!
    That is interesting. We had a forceps delivery cause bub needed to be turned (plus she had some heart decelerations and they wanted to get her out ASAP). Middie mentioned that a lot of OB's would have advised caesarean instead of forceps cause of DD's position.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mettie View Post
    I had forceps and wasn't cut

I wasn't either. I didn't tear or even graze. I think it really depends on how you "push" out your baby. By doing it slowly and allowin the baby to come with the contraction rather than waiting for someone to yell push push push at you. I never understood how people used to say they pushed for ages etc.. Isn't there just a point at which your body pushes involuntarily? I know with all of mine it was like that.. Maybe I was lucky.

In my recent labour, my baby descended really quickly and i pushed his head out and I remember my midwife telling me just one more push and his shoulders would be out. My reply was "I am waiting for a contraction" (for some reason that time when waiting for one seems so long lol!) so I waited and te contraction basically pushed the baby out.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I had an emergency c-section and they had to use forceps because his big head was stuck in my pelvis!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by UmmInayah View Post
    I wasn't either. I didn't tear or even graze. I think it really depends on how you "push" out your baby. By doing it slowly and allowin the baby to come with the contraction rather than waiting for someone to yell push push push at you. I never understood how people used to say they pushed for ages etc.. Isn't there just a point at which your body pushes involuntarily? I know with all of mine it was like that.. Maybe I was lucky.

In my recent labour, my baby descended really quickly and i pushed his head out and I remember my midwife telling me just one more push and his shoulders would be out. My reply was "I am waiting for a contraction" (for some reason that time when waiting for one seems so long lol!) so I waited and te contraction basically pushed the baby out.
    Yes, I think a lot would depend on how you're pushing. Dd was about an inch away from the end of the road and her head was at a funny angle, she wasn't going any further. The dr inserted the forceps, readjusted her head, and I pushed her out with the next contraction.

I understand that people feel strongly about avoiding this intervention, but you don't always have a choice. Dr was concerned about her heart rate by this stage and there was no way I was arguing with him when he said "we need to get this baby out now". It was either forceps or a csec I guess...