View Poll Results: did you need assistance with your vaginal birth??

Voters
64. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes forceps

17 26.56%
  • yes ventouse

14 21.88%
  • none, i didnt need any help

33 51.56%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    proudmama is offline some pinkness is finally entering our lives xoxo
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    we had to use the ventouse and it left a blood blister on ds head (which has now scarred and he'll never grow hair there - but it's not big) but i would pick it over forceps anyday - way too scary and from what i hear painful and frightening - no thank you

proudmama is offline some pinkness is finally entering our lives xoxo
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Becs999 View Post
    Ventouse here. I had an epi so I couldn't feel anything. James just ended up with a bit of a red mark on his head for the first few days. I did have a 3rd degree tear though which the ventouse would have most likely contributed to.

i think thats what caused my 3rd degree tear also

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I had neither. They were the only thing about labour that truly frightened me. I know a baby who had a ventouse injury. We are chiropractic people so i had done a lot of reading about the pressure they put on little spines etc. I'm not trying to step on anyones toes - I realise they are needed in emergencies. I was just very afraid of being one of those emergencies. It took two hours to push DS out (not the most favourite 2 hours of my life)...towards the end my ob asked me how my energy levels were. "Fine," I growled, "just tell me how to push the baby out, because I'm bl**dy well doing it myself." Got there in the end.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD was transverse and I had been pushing for 2 hours, after a 19 hour 1st stage, so the ventouse was used- I was just too exhausted to go on by myself!
    However- an intern performed the procedure, and she didn't 'pump it up' enough and it "popped" off the first time, giving me a 2nd degree tear... Ouch!
    The second attempt was much better and my bub was finally born. She had a nice cone on her head for a couple of days, but so far there have not been any other side effects.

I was adamant that I didn't want the forceps, and they told me they didn't want to have to use them- They told me they had 3 attempts with the ventouse and so I had to keep on pushing as hard as I had been!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I 'needed' forceps to help me.

They are very big, the Ob uses a LOT of lotion and then comes at you with some sort of injecting pen that realy, realy hurtts. I'm not to clear but I think it's to numb the cervix before inserting the forceps? Anyway it was like some sort of torcher having it done.
    Did not feel the forceps going in and they did not work after 2 painfull trys at pulling on the baby.

Off for a cs for me......

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Ventouse.

I also had a posterior bub, and had a really long labor and hadnt slept properly for days.

Ended up with a 2nd degree tear, which I am told the ventouse probably contributed to, but I dont mind so much. It got him out safely, I doubt I would have had the energy to get him out myself...

Lastcenturymum is offline I'm on a break from modding (it wont last forever ... I'll be BACK!!)
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    I had high forceps with first - she was prem and we were both distressed. I was drugged to the eyeballs for a week before (PE) and had an eipdural, but man, I will NEVER forget the feeling of having my insides ripped out! Third I asked for forceps as I never had the urge to push with any of them and he was a boof and I just wanted him born!

No marks or issues with either of them and I don't think ventouse was as common then (though it was just called suction then, nothing fancy!)

Thanks
    Reviews
    They used forceps in my emergency c-section as my DD had lodged herself in my pelvis pretty good trying to get during my labour and got stuck....

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a forceps too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    I think I must be the only person alive who had a positive forceps birth by the look of things

DS was posterior and I had been pushing for going on 7 hours with no progress, so they used forceps to turn him and get him out.

I was just thankful it wasn't an emergency caesarian

I had no problems or issues with the forceps whatsoever!
    Similar here, but DS2 had bruising from the forceps on the sides of his little head. Also my episiotomy was not so great to recover from. But I was so pleased to avoid a second c-section.