View Poll Results: did you need assistance with your vaginal birth??

Voters
64. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes forceps

17 26.56%
  • yes ventouse

14 21.88%
  • none, i didnt need any help

33 51.56%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default did you need the help of forceps or ventouse???

anyone had the help of forceps or ventouse during vaginal birth?
    If needed i think i would prefer the ventouse over forceps
    what are your thoughts or experiences on either??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    of my 2 vaginal births neither required either

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I have had ventouse with both births (failed with 2nd birth which ended in c-section) and forceps with the 2nd also (also failed obviously!).

Ventouse I didnt even notice but did leave a huge gash on my son (the 2nd birth) but things were desperate by then and they were trying anything to get him out.

Forceps was horrific, basically made me feel like I was being peeled open like a banana to be honest. Extremely difficult to cope with mentally and not fight.

I don't think they use forceps too often any more though do they?

Sheer Bliss is offline new username time?? this is toooo friggin hard, and NOT Bliss!!!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Ventouse - forceps really scare me too!!

DD's head was popping in and out, and back in again, I just couldn't hold it, and was too exhausted to push anymore (I shoulda stood up to let her fall out ) so had assistance to get her out. It stung having the ventouse put on her head (as she wasn't crowning, i had to be cut (just a tiny one - thankfully) and stretched to get it onto her head.) That was NOT pleasant, and i screamed the house down. The rest of it wasn't so bad, the next contraction hit, I pushed the dr pulled and DH caught her. She had a horrible cone on her head, but it was gone in a day or so. It probably put her neck out, and we had colic isssues for ages (i wish i'd seen a chiro earlier) but overall, not traumatic or long-term damaging. DS i pushed out all by myself, and i think that hurt more! But was much more rewarding too

Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Unfortunately, due to the ineptness of the hospital and it's staff, I required the use of forceps to remove my child. It was truly horrendous, both physically and emotionally.

MilkingMaid is offline Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most supportive member
    Question those who don't question authority
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    When I transferred from a homebirth, (I'd been pushing 11 hours) I was offered the use of a ventouse to 'help baby out' and I flatly refused, I was determined to push him out myself, and I did

I'm no expert, but I believe ventouse is used more commonly these days, as it is 'less damaging' to bub, and forceps are usually reserved for bubs which are 'stuck' higher up in the birth canal. So I think they do try to avoid forceps if possible, but sometimes they are deemed necessary...

They are certainly not the most gentle of instruments, either of them, I'd allow them used only in a life and death situation pretty much.
    Last edited by MilkingMaid; 02-01-2009 at 18:23.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I used my hands in my last birth.
    But never had the use of insturments.
    I also see them as only for absloute emergency.

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Ventouse here. I had an epi so I couldn't feel anything. James just ended up with a bit of a red mark on his head for the first few days. I did have a 3rd degree tear though which the ventouse would have most likely contributed to.

Mischief is offline Love. Dream. Laugh. The shadows simply mean the sun is shining!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank You
    Forceps scared the life out of me! I begged them for ventouse and next step C Section!

Both by boys have been posterier, and Ive had Ventouse for both labours.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AM View Post
    They are certainly not the most gentle of instruments, either of them, I'd allow them used only in a life and death situation pretty much.

I didnt need either. And that was lucky as I was strongly against both aswell.