+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Question "Might" be new to Sydney and looking for suitable suburb recommendations!!..please?

Well just got a phone call from DP, he has been on the phone to his general manager (or 'big boss') ...who suggested we start doing some research into Sydney and what areas we would think about setting up in, because if anything comes up over that way in 2009 he will be ringing DP.
    He suggested west sydney as it is probably the closest we have to 'home' a bit more country like he said.

So I am doing exactly that -Research- asking all you mums out there what suburb you think would be great for a single income family with thre kids aged 3.5 and under with two dogs

DP's parents live in Wallalong, we thought about living in maitland and around there, but that would mean DP would have to travel Loooong hours - don't really want that (used to him only taking 7minutes to get to work!).
    I will consider going back to work part time ...but don't really want to.

We own our house here, and could sell it or rent it.
    what are the prices like there!? (just about to hop on Home hound in a tick.)

(sorry i've just babbled on...but it's come as a bit of a shock and i'm rolling playdoh and drawing with textas (on the paper not on the floor thanksDD!!) at the same time!!)

So if you can help...even recommending suburbs outside of this region if you'd think they'd be better suited...it would be very much appreciated!!

Cheers!! nic x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    anyone!!??

DP has just brought home a list of where all the branches are located and I suppose I'll look at the suburbs surrounding them.
    Had a look on home hound and fell in love with the homes in the blue mountains...probably way too far out though hey, especially for DP to get to work and kids to go to school??

any way...

hope I can get some heads up on maybe some suburbs to avoid ??!!

thanks nic

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    What about Camden/Picton area? It's still fairly rural.

Does it have to be west? There are some nice semi rural places up North like Dural...more $$ though.

Do you want it to be rural-ish? would you consider the suburbs? city? etc

What is your price bracket for property? Do you want 3/4 bedrooms? What do you require exactly?

Sorry, thinking aloud here!

eta: yes, where were some of the sburubs on the list mr boss gave you?
    Last edited by rainbow road; 14-12-2008 at 00:01.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi there,

Can you give us some ideas where these locations are?? West Sydney has quite a wide range. But Blue Mountains is probably a bit too far west!!

I'm from Liverpool, in South West Sydney, I'm happy to recommend some nearby areas for you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Forkie View Post
    What about Camden/Picton area? It's still fairly rural.
    ooo...thats where i am.

yeah i love it here so there is my vote

also guess i could come to admit Richmond is quite nice aswell

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I have a friend who lives in Windsor Downs (next to Richie) she loves it there. My Camden friend loves it except for public transport in peak hour!

Thanks
    Reviews
    thanks ladies

We would love at least 3 br, 4 would be a bonus!
    Enough room for three crazy kids and two border collies, atm we live in a small miners cottage on a 500ish (i think) sq block...so it doesn't have to be 'ruralish'...just not on a main road, with loads of traffic.

The big boss has mentioned richmond as a branch, but nothing concrete, so it could be any where.

I was thinking we might have to rent first to get a feel for an area, and wait for our house here to sell, then buy...and we are middle to low income, so $300K - $350ish ,000 would probably be our limit. (unless we win lotto)...not a huge amount I know, but we like to live within our means, with me not working atm.
    Am always willing to buy and renovate.

I'd like to be close to schools and a shopping centre so we don't have to drive for ages in the car - It takes 15 minutes to drive from one side of our home town to the other!!
    But in saying that I lived in Adelaide for 5 years and used to travel for over an hour to work, and got used to that pretty easy.

Is there any areas that would be considered dangerous, or not child friendly?

Thanks
    Reviews
    hmm dodgy suburbs lol. Well I don't want to offend people as I don't have like a list of the worst suburbs or anything concrete BUT suburbs in sydneys south-west (like Lakemba, Greenacre etc) have a pretty bad reputation for violence and stuff. However as far out as you're (lol sorry it's not *that* far I know but I'm a northy) looking in my understanding tends to be people living their for lifestyle choice rather than socio-economic limitations and are pretty safe and good places to raise families from what I've heard of people there.

I'll see if I can find a proper list tomorrow

Thanks
    Reviews
    Heres the list of where the branches are...so when it is not minutes to midnight - i'll look on a map and see what is surrounding them...

Bankstown
    Blacktown
    Burwood
    Camden
    Campbelltown
    Castle Hill
    Corrimal
    Dee Why
    Hurstville
    Kent st Sydney
    Liverpool
    Mt Druitt
    Newtown
    Narellan
    Parramatta
    Penrith
    Richmond
    Smithfield
    St Marys

If I have mis spelled any - I blame DP's handwriting!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by FiveInTheBed View Post
    Heres the list of where the branches are...so when it is not minutes to midnight - i'll look on a map and see what is surrounding them...

Bankstown: Nope, I personally wouldn't move there!
    Blacktown: Ditto
    Burwood: Inner-west (but outer innerwest). mix of suburbs/small houses, very urban
    Camden: semi-rural, nice, big blocks of land
    Campbelltown: don't really know but I think it's quite similar to Camden
    Castle Hill: Suburbs, quite leafy and green but hellish for transport seriously
    Corrimal: where!?
    Dee Why: Don't know much about that area
    Hurstville: Ditto
    Kent st Sydney: Where I used to work obviously, dead in the middle of the city.
    Liverpool: I wouldn't move here if you paid me.
    Mt Druitt: gives the sticks a new name IMO, from me
    Newtown: Inner west, close to city, small terracey homes etc
    Narellan: no idea
    Parramatta: very suburban, very well serviced, pretty safe I think but I'm pretty meh about Parra
    Penrith: Don't know much but apparently has some lovely areas and big land
    Richmond: ditto
    Smithfield: always hear of it, no idea where it is!
    St Marys: Ditto Penrith but I think the Riff is safer. St Mary's closer to city (very marginally!)

If I have mis spelled any - I blame DP's handwriting!!
    ive added my opinions next to suburb HTH