+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mamaduke is offline Jacob Louis has arrived!
    Winner 2007 – The ‘Tell It Like It Is’ Straight Shooter Award
    & The Most Passionate Crusader Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Curves...your thoughts?

There's a new chain of fitness centres called Curves which are opening up everywhere in Melbourne at the moment. There is one now which is literally 2 blocks from me and I'm thinking of joining.
    It's a 30 minute workout for women and sounds ideal for me. I can walk to/from there and not have to worry about travelling/taking/leaving the boys.
    It's around the $60 mark to join and then $49 a month...any comments/thoughts?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm a curves member and it rocks! Only half an hour which includes your streches and I have been to 3 different centres and the staff rock!! There are usually 2 staff on (one to answer the phone and greet people and one to stand in the middle of the workout area and chat to you and give you help and advice)

AND they ring you when you havent been for a couple of weeks and say they miss you

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey we have one here in SYdney right near where i live and i was wondering if it was worthwhile aswell...Is the $49 for unlimited visits?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I didn't like the cost (I think it is a bit more exy up here) but I have co-workers going who love it.
    One of them, however, also sees a physio who said he hates hydrolic equipment (like curves) because to get 'better' you have to go faster - which has you not doing the exercise as throughrally - thus increasing your chance of damaging yourself, rather than a gym where you start small and work up in weights and stuff.

That said, so long as you're doing it properly and it works I don't see a problem

Thanks
    Reviews
    Seekrit - Its funny that you physio has a problem with the exercise as mine loves the concept. He thinks you do less harm to your self by working quicker on a resistance machine than putting heavier weaights on a normal machine before you are ready. Each to their own I guess.

As for the other question - yes it is $49 a month for unlimited visits although they say you only need to go 3 times a week.

They will usually give you a 1 week trial if you go and ask, then at least you will know if it works for you and if you like the machines.

Thanks
    Reviews
    IMO they are great. I was going for about 1.5 months before falling pg and found it was already paying off. Another good thing is that they are flexible in that I have been able to suspend my membership for the last 2 months due to terrible morning sickness.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I loved it!!! i used to go all the time... but had to cancel my membership because of financial issues but i am going back as soon as i can afford it again!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Thanks for the replies! I'm going tomorrow morning to check it out.
    Quote Originally Posted by aggero
    IMO they are great. I was going for about 1.5 months before falling pg and found it was already paying off. Another good thing is that they are flexible in that I have been able to suspend my membership for the last 2 months due to terrible morning sickness.
    This was something I was wondering about. If I do become pregnant (3rd child scenario is still up in the air!) I was wondering if they would suspend/hold my membership...thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thats not bad, I wanted to join up at my local curves but the don't have a creche!!

I thought it was a bit silly being a WOMENS gym and all, you'd think they'd have a creche there for the mums, but nope. Another one has opened up a few suburbs away and I'm not sure if they have a creche or not, but it's too late now because I go to Fernwood! lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Starlet
    Thats not bad, I wanted to join up at my local curves but the don't have a creche!!

I thought it was a bit silly being a WOMENS gym and all, you'd think they'd have a creche there for the mums, but nope. Another one has opened up a few suburbs away and I'm not sure if they have a creche or not, but it's too late now because I go to Fernwood! lol.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think any of them offer a creche.
    I'm lucky in the sense that the Curves gym is literally 2 blocks away from my home, and with only a 30 minute workout, when someone else is home (be that DH, or my Mum/Dad - they live right behind us) then I can quickly be up and back before too much hell breaks loose!