+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Smile AP Support thread

Just thought i'd start a thread to give idea's, support, experience or anything positive really in relation to Attachment Parenting

What do you do AP wise?

We co-sleep, love baby wearing (though MJ is very wriggly now & always wants to go to daddy ) & I plan on letting MJ self wean when she's ready

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yay! Good thread idea. I'll be back after dinner.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I baby-wear, co-sleep, breastfeed and don't believe in "controlled crying".

I'm my mums worst enemy it seems- she's always on at me to stop all that! She's a controled crying kind of grandma and said it didn't do me any harm She despises the fact that we co-sleep and bags me in front of her friends

I had the nicest compliment the other week. A midwife told me Liam was the most relaxed baby she had ever met. I truly believe that attachment parenting means a happier baby.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Great idea Rainbowbrite,

My personal exerience is that I just followed my instincts, it wasnt untill I hooked up to the internet that I discovered the whole AP tag. I breastfeed because I know its best for my children and I know I will do anything to give them the best in life. I wear my children in slings because I want them to be with me as much as possible and it makes them and me happy. Same reason I cosleep.

I have always been involved in womens issues so I read "those types" of books I suppose and injoyed natural remedies and life style. Also I was brought up the way my children have been brought up, my mother slept with her children untill they decided to get into another bed, she breastfeed us all in the early 70's and disregarded advice to supplement as a marketing ploy of Formula companies. My father was even at all our births and talks about it foundly quite alot. I have memories of my mother feeding my siblings and her friends feeding thier babies, actually I am still friends with a lot of the children I grew up with. We went to naturopaths and chiropractors and GPs as a last resort. My mother had us getting acupuncture for tonsillits ect and I still have mine. She may have got all her ways from her mother (my Nana) who was a lay midwife and herbalist.

sounds like I grew up in a hippie commune? Well I grew up on HMAS Cerbrus who knew the Navy had so many Hippies .
    Last edited by Goosie22; 22-05-2006 at 07:54. Reason: spelling

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Im with you Goosie, I dont label it as AP but alot of the stuff I have done and do is AP

Bfing, co sleeping , using natural altrnatives for ds's allergies and asthma etc etc

But the best thing is the way we discipline ds its very much AP iykwim,

DS is a very strong willed child and responds really well to AP tech's re: discipline rather than an authorative style, its amazing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I too do a lot with my bub that is in the AP style...sometimes others can get me down. I wonder if I should be trying to "enforce" a better routine for Amelia but it just doesn't feel right. I've always just followed her lead.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I am an advocate for co-sleeping,
    breastfeeding (on demand), self weaning
    hugging my children
    and I hate routine

Aaaah the natural life!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Great thread! I'm an AP parent because that's what feels right for us. Some people see AP as being really alternative and hippy but all it's about is accepting that a babies' cry is a form of communication (and not manipulation) and responding to their needs in the most appropriate way. So many people are AP without realising that there's a 'title' for it.

We exclusively breastfed for 7.5 months, gently weaned at 21 months (because I wanted to ttc otherwise we would have kept going), coslept from the start (even in hospital with midwives telling me it was bad and that I would roll on him), babywear (although it took us a little while to find the right carrier for us) and even now when DS sees me pull out the sling he gets very excited. Until recently, I also rocked DS to sleep nearly every night because I do not believe in controlled crying. And we also believe in gentle discipline and positive parenting techniques.

And to all those nay sayers who gave me a hard time because they thought I was a naive first time mum (including MIL)
    - DS didn't breastfeed forever. I was able to gently wean him over a period of months with very little upset. I will not be breastfeeding him at the school gate.
    - He is no longer in our bed and actually doesn't want to sleep in it anymore. He much prefers his own bed and bedroom. We gently moved him out of our bed into a sidecar option and then when we moved house we moved him into his own bedroom. It was all gentle and non-traumatic for DS. So, thanks MIL but I doubt DS will still be in our bed at 16!
    - DS has learnt to walk just fine and is happy to walk alongside me holding my hand. So obviously all that holding and carrying him hasn't done any long term harm.
    - DH and I managed to continue our social lives after DS's arrival because we were not afraid of taking him out with us. We were his sleep association so we weren't chained to the house with a strict sleep routine and could go out for meals etc and not worry about DS. And no, I don't foresee myself rocking him to sleep when he's 5 because we have gradually taught him to fall asleep with just our presence. Slowly, we will wean him off that (when he is ready) so that he will be able to fall asleep on his own without any tears or trauma.

And even though it's not really AP, I use cloth nappies fulltime too. While pregnant when I told family for friends, they would all snigger and makes comments about 'we'll see how long that lasts'. Well, 2+ years on, we are still using cloth and have saved $$$$ and will save even more when I reuse them on #2

I suppose what I'm getting at is to do what feels right for your family and don't let the scare tactics of those ignorant of your particular situation/emotions sway you from doing what you feel is best.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think a lot of people on the shops death glare me for taking Liam out at night, but we don't have a need for a schedule and if Liam sleeps, then great! Our social life hasn't been sacrificed at all. Baby wearing means Liam can sleep beautifully no matter what I'm doing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well I basically do what ever Eliza wants, not becuause she owns me but it works better, we demand feed although I am controlling it a bit at the moment to help her with her reflux issues, I am still demand feeding her but breaking her off the boob now every 10 minutes to burp her. she sleeps in our bed at night and in her cradle in the day I wear her in the sling the majority of the time unless I am going far then we take the pram as well. I always wear my sling lol

I too take her out at night, what's the big deal if she needs feeding/changing we do it!

I have people asking me how do I have such a content baby..I really have no idea, but I truly believe if a baby's needs are met then it will be happy, there is no need for the crying etc. Someone asked me the other day did I know which cry is for what and I said no idea she doesn't cry she wakes up quietly and looks around she grumbles a bit in the evenings during her cluster feeds but shes truly a good baby!

I am so over people saying cosleeping is bad, you're spoiling her, your over feeding her etc....

Hey it's working for me and her and DP so that's what matters!