+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Question prevent perineum tears?

Does perineum massage actually help prevent tears?
    If so how do you do it and from when?

Nicki

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I never did that, my midwife told me to pant when the head is comming out. Just relax and pant. Because your are relaxed the head will just slide out slowly and hopefully you wont tear.

Kylie

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Thumbs up Yep

I did my perenium massage religiously with DD1 but not at all with DD2. I can't remember when I started (maybe ask your dr or midwife) but I used to get my partner to help me - needless to say it lead to other things !! We also had lots of sex through both pregnancies. I had no tears with either and with lots pelvic floor exercises everything was back to normal within 2 weeks both times.

I recommend at least trying it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi, I was interested to know this too. I have found these which are instructions on to massage.

http://www.childbirth.org/articles/massage.html
    http://www.birthingnaturally.net/cn/.../perineal.html

HTH

I'm looking for other options too if you know of any

alicesmum Guest
    i did lots of stretching of this area for the last 4 weeks of pregnancy, right up until i went into labour. i had no tears that needed stitching which is so nice from what I can tell, because I didn't have to lie there and wait while they stitched me up, but got stright up and had a shower.

i ended up with my own technique for doing it based on what hurt as i knew this meant I was doing it right! Each time I had a shower (which was ~ twice a day) I would hold the stretch just at the point where I could almost not bear it, practise attention to the breath, and with tears in my eyes I would count to 60 (or a bit longer if I could). WHat I should have done though was done the stretches all the way around IYKWIM (!!), i.e., including up around the clitoris to be specific as I had a small tear in the labia minora and I think I could have prevented that with some more stretching in that area (but who knows!!! Now it's all a bit asymmetircal, but who cares!). I do believe that the work I put in paid off in the perenial area though. I had no problems at all in that area and no pain there at all, DURING as well as after the birth.

good luck with it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Perineal massage does help prevent tears, but it isn't a guarantee. I did Perineal massage for the last 6 weeks daily - 2nd daily (it's not very comfortable), and I got a 3rd degree tear.

Next time I might try the Epi-no machine - I've heard good things about it.

The other thing is I'll be careful not to rush the pushing part of labour - I was standing up and was getting really exhausted, and decided to push really hard to get bub out - well, she came out alright! All in one go. I'll also try to communicate with the midwife more about what's happening, and what I'm planning to do.
    Last edited by BJelly; 27-06-2005 at 14:59.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Here is a link to it

http://www.epharmacy.com.au/product....Trainer+Device

im conciderin gettin this , as i had to be cut down there an Dont want to have to go through it again

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm using the Epi-no. Took me a while to take the plunge cause it's rather expensive. It says you shouldn't start until you're 37 weeks. But my doula suggested I start when I was about 33 weeks - just not to do the pushing part. There's always the chance that you'll go early. I've got higher than desirable blood pressure so I'm wanting to be prepared early rather than too late in case my OB gets that induction gleam in his eye.
    I've only been using it a couple weeks and I'm already stretching to 6.5cm.
    If anyone has any queries about it feel free to ask and I'll share what little experience I've had with it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi,
    I've just bought the epi-no on e-bay from a poor woman who didn't get to use it because she went into labour early and then had to have a double episiotomy (not sure what the double part involves but doesn't sound nice) and I am now waiting for it to be delivered. The one thing I really don't want while giving birth is to have an episiotomy or to tear (even though I know I may have no choice) -I am hoping this machine will help.
    Do you know why you shouldn't use it until you're 37 weeks (I've read that somewhere else as well - I think in an ad for it or something)? Like you say Grubincubator -what if you go early (like the woman selling it did). Why did your doula suggest not to do the pushing part early? Have you found it easy to use?
    Happy stretching.
    Cath

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Cath,
    That was a lucky buy (lucky for you - not the poor previous owner). I don't know exactly why but I'm guessing that you don't want to interfere with the cervix by pushing too early.
    It's easy enough to use - but not particularly enjoyable. A little discomfort and inconvenience now however will hopefully save a whole lot of pain and discomfort later. I find that I have to hold it in either by hand or close my legs on it or the little sucker pops right out.
    I would suggest that perineal massage and/or epi-no are a great aid and certainly worth the trouble just so long as you know or are guided by your midwife to stop pushing at crowning. That would seem to be one of the most significant factors. No matter how much preparation you do if you rush that bit you're likely to regret it
    Maybe all who are using either method could report back after the deed is done to let us know how they went in the end? (Pardon the pun)

Good luck.