+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Bread Makers

I was wondering if anyone uses a bread maker out there and if it is cost effective and what brand of mix you buy.

My mum has a breadmaker she never used so I was just wondering if it's worth it?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My mum also has a breadmaker that she never uses. I've borrowed it before, but I used her mixes, so I can't really help you in terms of comparing the price with bought bread. There is a difference in the taste though - homemade bread is much heartier and nicer in winter (you'd probably get the same quality from Baker's Delight or somewhere similar though). I just liked the variety of flavours (eg pumpkin bread).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have one - but to be fair not used since I emigrated... apart from last weekend to make pizza dough...I used to use all the time in UK bought flour made by a company called hovis for granary bread and it was scrummy... much nicer than their packaged stuff...have made a few basic loafs too...bread always tastes more hearty but as for more economical not sure...but certainly better for you...not got all the preservatives they put in bread in supermarkets...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have a breadmaker, and it is the best! I don't usually make bread that often, though, but if I do, I use Lauke (I think thats how you spell it) Crusty White. Available from supermarkets. I use my breadmaker for pizzas, doughnuts (the best u have ever tasted!), pull-aparts, bread rolls, apple scrolls etc. I go to cooking classes that use bread makers for things like that (just using the "dough" cycle) So you can make heaps of stuff in them. And better than bakeries!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Great thread! Iv been wondering about buying a bread maker for ages now but never know whether it would be cheaper than buying the stuff at the supermarkets already packaged. Will keep an eye on this thread to see if anyone knows.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would say not so mucher cheaper but much healthier and yummier!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi
    Inspired by your thread I went to woolies yesterday and sussed out the bread flour etc...I worked out I could buy for 5.44 a box of Tip Top Soy and Linseed sachets (4 loaves). I have made my 1st loaf today and the house is full of yummy bread smells...I had forgotten how good that was! BTW the loaf is scrummy too! Very easy instructions and obviously my machine likes!
    I am gonna check out a local bread making shop and get some different flours next week...I am well back into this now - thanks!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well you've motivated me now....I'm going to give it a go once I liberate the breadmaker from mums! For that price, it's definately worth a shot.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have a breville bread maker but never use it (loaf size is too small for 6)

I generally only bake on weekends and use laucke crusty mix with a teaspoon of lowens bread improver and bake in normal bread tin. as long as you let the dough sit under a damp tea towel until double the size it rises just as well as in the maker.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I received one for Xmas 2004 and for over 12m I didn't buy one single loaf of bread. I use it for making focaccia, cheese and bacon bread, pizza dough. I buy 5kg packs of defiance white bread flour for around $6.81 at some woollies (others are $7.99 but you can get it cheaper on special). You also need milk powder, bread improver, yeast, and also oil, salt, sugar and water but these are standard kitchen items.

I worked it out to be heaps cheaper than buying - only thing is the slices dont' fit in my toaster that well. Have started buying wholemeal loaves from the bakery as I haven't found a wholemeal pack that tastes as nice. (or as soft)