+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default baby wont sleep through the night

Hi Ladies

My bub settles beautifully, however he does not sleep through the night. He will always wake up for at least 1 feed, sometimes 2.

I have tried the dream feed however, this just messed up he sleeping patterns.

He is only 2 months and I am sure the full sleep will come in time. However, it would be nice to get one sleep through the night.

My partner and I have not sleep properly for months now.

The women at mothers group all have babies that sleep through the night. Is there some thing I can do?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My DS didnt sleep through the night until he was 14 months old!!! I know plenty of kids who don't sleep through the night until much older.
    Technically, a sleep of 5 hours is deemed through the night.

I think at 2 months of age, you have a super sleeper! Ds was still waking every 2 hours for a feed at 2 months

The women at mothers group may be stretching the truth a little too

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Love, you are just unlucky to be part of a mothers group with perfect babies.

Very few babies sleep through the night at only 2 months.

My DD only just started, at 18 months.

Some kids do, some don't. Its just part of babyhood.
    Please don't expect your bub to be like anybody else's, because your bub is unique. Follow your little ones prompts, he will sleep when he needs sleep and wake when he needs to wake.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I agree with the other posters. Gosh, I actually dont know anyone that had a baby sleep through the night at 2 months!!

My 2 year old and 4 year old still dont sleep through.....bed is getting crowded now with a 3 day old too haha....it's just part of having kids and I wouldn't change it for the world!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    My 3 year old DS still wakes through the night...

Hang in there,, in time more hours sleep will come ...
    sounds like your doing a great job

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Gillme View Post
    Hi Ladies

The women at mothers group all have babies that sleep through the night. Is there some thing I can do?
    Yes stop talking about sleeping patterns with the woman at mothers group or you will drive yourself nuts

Babies really are all so different. My dd1 would feed two or three times over night whereas dd2 goes for hours.

The main battle is to get bubs to settle well, you've got this cracked by the sounds of things so I wouldnt stress. Just try to get some really early nights yourself, goto bed when bubs does and catch up on your sleep then and during the day

SPC is offline Senior Member
    Winner 2010- The Most Passionate Crusader Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    You want our baby to sleep through the night? Just wait six months! 8 week old babies really don't have a very big stomach, so they usually need at least one feed overnight. Your mother's group is very unusual. It's only a few months- you'll get there eventually. It's better to keep bedtime as a positive and happy place than try all sorts of weird and wacky things that will make them upset. Let your baby lead the way; set a pleasant routine of bath, baby massage, story, feed and sleep and he will come to love going to bed and eventually begin to sleep through when he is ready.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I followed a routine designed to help them sleep through the night, and even that book - Gina Ford's contented baby - says it is unlikely and potentially unhealthy for a baby to sleep through the night before 3 or 4 months of age.

Most babies are closer to 6 months - or much older - before they sleep through.

While there are some babies who sleep through from an early age, they are very much in the minority.

I know its really hard when you are sleep deprived, but something you'll cling to in later years is the wonderful memories of just you and your bub at 2am.

They are little for such a short while ... try to soak up every moment as special time you have together.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Don't stress out. I stressed majorly when my DS used to wake during the night as a bub (he still does at 2.5 years old ) and my stress made it harder for the both of us to sleep.

Maybe see if your partner will help out on his weekend nights, take turns etc so you can get some sleep.

I agree with some of the PPs, routines are great for some babies it really helped me. I used bath, feed, music, bed.

Nowhere is offline Winner 2007- Most Supportive Of Feeding Other-Than-Breast Award
    Winner 2010- Most Optimistic Poster Award
    Winner 2010- The Most Supportive Member Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Gillme View Post
    Hi Ladies

My bub settles beautifully, however he does not sleep through the night. He will always wake up for at least 1 feed, sometimes 2.

I have tried the dream feed however, this just messed up he sleeping patterns.

He is only 2 months and I am sure the full sleep will come in time. However, it would be nice to get one sleep through the night.

My partner and I have not sleep properly for months now.

Sory your not getting enough sleep but you might just have to get used to it at 2 months of age you would be very luckyif bubs sleeps through