+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Red face Newborn baby with teeth????

Hello ladies,
    Just wondering if anyone can tell me is this a problem!
    A friend of mine has just gien birth to a daughter who is 2 weeks early.They discovered that she had a fully cut tooth and 2 still coming.Has anyone heard of this because I have'nt and apparently their doctor has'nt either.The mother is just worried that it may fall out and her daughter my choke after all she is only tiny.Can anyone give me any the point in the right direction and is this a defect that happened through pregnancy.

Cheers..
    Natasha

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    As far as I know it can be completely normal. A lady in my mothers group was born with 2 teeth and a baby in my mothers group was also born with a tooth. So I'm guessing its just one of those things. As for it falling out I'd tell her to check with her CHN.

Thanks
    Reviews
    "What to Expect the First Year" baby book says that it is rare but not unheard of. Also they may have to pull the teeth out IF they are not well anchored in the gums cos they may fall out and cause choking. Also says that they may be extra teeth and not true baby teeth, but usually they are just very early baby teeth.

There should be a paediatrician or paed dentist who can advise.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi There,

I just had this discussion with my Mothers Group yesterday, as two of their children (who are only 13 weeks) have gum movement and are teething already. Both of their pediatricians told them it is not uncommon for some babies to be born with teeth already through or coming through. They said it is more common in babies past their due date, but not uncommon for babies that come early too.

As for the teeth posing a threat to choking, I wouldn't be too worried unless they are loose and not well planted in the gum? I'd just advise her to speak to her pediatrician about it.

But don't stress for you friend, as it definitely isn't a birth "defect"

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I was born 4 weeks early with two bottom teeth fully through with two top ones cutting. Within around 3 months I practically had all my baby teeth through much to my mum's disgust (she was breastfeeding and apparently I was a bit of a horror). Much to Dr's surprise, they all stuck and didn't fall out until I was around 5 or 6. It does happen but not often. My DD is teething at 11 1/2 weeks. I would not be surprised to see teeth cutting within the next couple of weeks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Teeth

My younger brother was born with two bottom teeth, they were half grown, my mum didnt even bother breast feeding for obvious reasons

Mum to connor

Thanks
    Reviews
    my SIL was born with two teeth also and I don't think this caused her any problems at all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It can happen. There is nothing to worry about. My Aunty was born with a tooth. And the rest of the family were early teethers. My sister had two teeth at the age of 8 weeks and my two boys got their first teeth at 14 weeks and 15 weeks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    My brother (who is now 23) was born with 2 teeth fully through and another well on the way. (My mum also breastfed him with no problems whatsoever! ) He didn't have them out and had no problems with them. He had problems with discolouration of his permanent teeth when he got older and they seem to think this may have had something to do with him being born with teeth, but I'm not sure what exactly or how one has anything to do with the other.

His other baby teeth all grew in pretty much the same as other babies and lost them the same as any other kids.

He was due March 4th, and was induced on Feb 17th, so he was a bit early.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ive heard of a couple of cases aswell. If your friend is worried maybe get her to contact her dentist and talk to them about it