+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts

Exclamation Sick kids

Hi Guys

I was just wondering whether anyone had good plans for how to deal with kids when they are too sick to go to day care, but both of you really need to be at work. I once resorted to getting my Mum to take the day off (but felt v guilty ).

Any ideas?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hi

I hope you don't mind me posting here as I am now a SAHM but I was working when my first child was little and he went to child care. I know how hard it is when they are sick and you have to work as well. It seemed like he was sick every other week.

My husband and I would take turns having time off to care for him. Once time my son was really ill and we were both critically busy at work. So we did a half day at work each. Husband did the mornings and I did the afternoons, working from home as well when my son was asleep. It was tough but the only way we got through. We were lucky that we had jobs where this worked obviously it wouldn't for all industries.

Hopefully your children won't suffer too much sickness. One thing childcare does do is build up their immunity. My son is rarely sick now.

Best wishes
    Easterlily

Thanks
    Reviews
    Grace is sick every second week and family leave is a given for us. I only have my sister to call on but she has to take a day off work as well. I agree with easterlily, try to alternate leave days or do half days. I am a bit luckier to be a nurse and there are always shift shortages so if i can't get to my shift during the week I can usually make up on the weekend, but if i call in for family leave during the week they still have to cover me with agency staff, so even though I can still work, it makes life harder for my boss which eventually filters down to me.

Best of Luck.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Gemma For This Useful Post:

zoz (11-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My award at work is pretty good for parents. I get my mum to look after Jakob. It's great because even when he is sick I can still go to work. But if he is too sick I will stay home with him. I am easily replaced so don't worry too much. I think your work collegues (sp?) respect you more because they know your family comes first. I am quite happy for mum to call me if she can't handle him when he is sick. But he's a trooper and always behaves. Just costs us extra cuddles