+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910
    headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I'm ashamed to admit this but we were really craving Thai Green Chicken Curry and the local shop had no green chillies

Continental Green Curry 'Essentials' (it's a paste)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default preservative free stuff in my cupboard

Hi,
    my son is currently on a strict no processed foods diet. It's really hard to find stuff that isn't really crap! Anyway **** smith's peanut butter has just peanuts, vegetable oil,sugar and salt in it, only an every now and then thing.homemade jam. My kids eat only weetbix, porridge, fruit, jalna yoghurt, home made bread for toast and eggs and bacon for breakky (not at one time of course ha ha). I think the only way to cut all the bad stuff out is to hand make a majority of the food you eat. It's way cheaper anyway.I did once find a crap free gravy mix once called "organ" gravy mix. I bought it from a organic health foods store. Not all stuff from those shops are good though and can be very expensive. I'll add more products as i find them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    dainty,
    peanut butter is a processed food. So is bacon, weetbix, yoghurt, and "gravy mix". If you want non-processed, you have raw peanuts, pork, wheat, whole milk, and the stuff in the bottom of your roasting dish.
    Bacon is the only one I'd feel guilty about :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by squiglet View Post
    So glad someone mentioned the vegimite issue. I love Vegimite and have not been eating it because of the preservativ. Will try the freedom foods one
    Just started reading this, I thought I might add something (although it isn't related to preservatives) Vegemite contains a massive amount of yeast extract, which is a glutamate. Basically it is MSG, and it is really nasty. I did a whole lot of research on glutamates awhile back and found out they are one of the worst food additives there is. They directly affect the brain. (They go by loads of names, not just MSG but flavour enhancers, yeast extract, vegetable protein, textured vegetable protein, vegetable extract, just to name a few).

I know I'm getting a bit off track here but I thought that since all the mums on here are looking to buy healthier alternatives I would mention it, I wish someone had told me earlier. Makes me absolutely livid that vegemite is marketed to children.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to 3boybubs For This Useful Post:

Elijahs Mum (16-05-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I just found this thread and it really got me thinking so I started doing my own research. I came across this website http://www.mbm.net.au/health/guide.htm that lists all of the different preservatives, how they are made, what they are made out of, and the potential side effects. I found it very useful so I wanted to pass it on.

So I started going through my pantry....we are quite busy people so we tend to use a lot of recipe bases (which I have found are full of preservatives and additives). I buy most of my groceries from Aldi...and I was surprised to find that several of the additives that are "banned" in Australia were in the food I purchased from Aldi. Same with things like Rissole mix that I buy from Woolies - a bummer because I really love it, but it has an additive in it that is known to cause cancer in animals!

On the plus side....I was also surprised to find that most of the stuff in my pantry was free of the additives/preservatives that should be avoided, so that's a good start for starting over with only items that do not contain things that should be avoided.

Thanks
    Reviews
    That is a crackpot page. Count the citations.
    Usual mix of truth, nonsense, lies, and misleading facts.

e.g. "MSG is not permitted in baby foods, but why is it there?(in pies)"

(added) MSG is banned in baby food for the same reason as common salt - it contains sodium.

Pies have added MSG to make them taste good despite being full of junk.
    A quality meat pie needs no added MSG, but has glutamate naturally from the meat.

Sorry, but the guy is a crackpot who has failed to do basic research to back his assertions.
    It is no more than rumour and gossip.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Buy the book additive alert, also check Sue Dengates web page for updated product alerts, at the moment I am worried about Genetically Modified Foods, they are in SO many foods and because of our bad food labeling laws company's don't have to list if they them, even in baby food, look up truefood.org.au ,

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mine only likes pizza.