+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default pros and cons of having an allergic kid

coz I gotta be honest - it's really getting me down at the moment....

My DS1 is3 and a bit allergic to heaps of stuff - eggs dairy all nuts sesame red meat pork tomato mushroom sweet potato, potato pumpkin ummmm swede and i can't remember the others. oh..licorice, cinnamon... anyway you get the idea. He's just getting to the age where he's getting invited to birthday parties and stuff and I just spend the whole time with my stomach in a knot... for my neice and nephew my present to them was to make the cake so DS could eat it! Anyway I think I'm experiencing a whole new wave of grief coz DS2 is 9 months and looks like he won't be allergic which is WONDERFUL but has brought home just how sucky it is for DS1. So this post was going to just be a whinge....but thought I would try and be a little bit Pollyanna and at least think of some Pros as well. So here goes....

CONS
    constant fear of serious medical problems - even death.
    taking medicine everywhere we go
    making all his food from scratch.
    he can't ever go to a restaurant or buy food out (or probably from the school tuckshop)
    allergy side effects - asthma, eczema etc
    limitations on where we can go on holidays
    it just sucks. All those things he'll never be able to experience.
    Expensive.
    Pain in the neck for cooking - have to have a different set of saucepans/utensils etc for safe food after an anphylactic attack from a trace amount of egg on a saucepan (house is egg free now anyway)
    I miss eggs!! And nuts!! yes yes selfish i know but i do miss them.

PROS
    He eats extremely healthily. No junk food or fast food.
    No arguments over how many chips he can have coz he can't have any
    Very mature for a 3yo - asks me if food is safe for him, never just grabs food from the table.
    We can cook from scratch together - turn it into a positive experience to teach him how to manage his allergies.

That's all i can think of. What about you guys?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    If someone banters on about how they "need" to eat this and "just let him tryyyyy this" we can say "p!ss off, he's allergic" end of discussion! That's the only thing I like!

Thanks
    Reviews
    good one

i'm gonna use that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I like that I can tell my daughter "no you cant have that" and she just says "ok" and walks away! I've never had her do a drop down screaming fit at wanting something, because she knows if I say no it means no for a reason

I like that it's teaching her at an early age to be responsible with what she's eating. I teach her now (she's 6yo) to read the label to see if it's safe and in doing so I show her that if sugar is one of the first 3 ingredients that means it's made mostly of sugar and she knows that's not healthy

I HATE that I have to worry about her going places, like to a friends house, because of her allergy. I'm "lucky" and she's only allergic to two different nuts (peanuts and walnuts) but she has an epi pen for them.

I HATE that not everyone takes a nut allergy seriously and thinks it's still ok to eat nuts when she's around.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default winge

i was starting to worry that i was the only one having trouble dealing with my daughters allergy's and intolerances and skin disorders from all that. it drives me crazy some times i too have an egg free and nut free home and i miss penutbutter! (not enough to eat it in the house but a lot) and my family just dosnt understand she is weeks away from 2 and her main food is still the bottle (elecare) and my family drive me crazy always trying to feed her saying but she needs to eat its like no you may kill her stop!
    sorry just had to winge.