+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Colds and Flu's with bub

Hi all,

I am just wondering how you know when bub is sick with cold symptons. Hubby has given me the flu and i am sitting here with a raging sore throat, temperature and can not sleep

I am so worried and upset that DS won't be able to tell me (I probably sound ridiculous but I am deliriously tired) and what can they be given.?? I know there is baby panadol but I've been taking panadiene with no effect, is there anyway you can soothe a bubs throat- can't exactly have a strepsil!!

Should I just watch his temperature? I personally don't go to the Dr for a cold as its something I believe runs its course and then goes, but should babies go regardless?

Sorry if I sound paranoid- I'm new to all this mummy stuff.

Ta xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    I find the hardest thing when babies get a cold is that they get all stuffed up and have trouble breathing through their nose. This can cause them to have difficalties feeding and sleeping. I use saline spray, vaperiser and vicks baby balsom to help relive nasel congestion. You can also use infant Dimatap or Demazon which is an antihistamine to help clear up the nose.
    Babies can go down hil fast so it is important to watch for signes your baby is getting worse and take then to the doctor. I take them to see a doctor if they have a moderate temp(above37.5) for more than 24 hours or a high temp( above38.5) for more than 4 hours, also if they have decreased wet nappies which may indicate they are dehydrated.
    With my fist I rushed her off to the doctor for every cold, sometimes its nice just to get reasurance that they are ok.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep, I was going to say something along the lines of what Rell said. So I will just say ditto. I would especially take a baby to the doctor if they have a temperature. You really have to watch babies when they have a temp and also if they get a rash. The general recommendation in those circumstances is to go to the doctor.

Also, there is Drixine. We were using Demazin for my daughter's cold, but it really was not working and we felt like we were just going through it too quickly with little improvement. I spoke to the chemist and he actually recommened Drixine instead and suggested that you give it to your baby before you put your baby to bed. I think that with a garden variety cold have a chat to your local chemist and get their recommendation on what over the counter medication is best for your baby.

Hope that you and your husband get better and that bubs does not catch it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi
    I also dont believe in rushing to the doctor with a cold but agree things change so quickly with a little one.
    My bub was 5 weeks old with a bad cold and it turned to brochilitus alnost before our eyes he was admitted to hospital as he was having trouble breathing and put on oxygen. I had a terrible attack of the bad mother guilts for awhile but was told by the hosp and various drs you cannot prescibe anything to treat them other then increase b/f or bottles, or if on solids and they will eat small amounts often, saline as previously mentioned.
    Deepdown you know you are doing the right thing, it comes naturally and just keep an eye on them for any changes but as a first time mum I now still take him to the doctors for that little bit of reassurance basically because it makes me feel better.
    Good luck, hope you all get better soon.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Big thank you to all!!

Hubby took bub in to chemist in town just to be sure, his temperature is fine and I am keeping a regular eye on this. He is a bit snotty and congested but isnt too upset or grizzly. He has just been put onto formula and was drinking /feeding well but with this I've noticed a drop off, he isn't interested / only eating half feeds- is this normal? I'm thinking that I go off my food when I'm sick so maybe babies do as well?? I'm probably worrying way too much, he is currently singing to his dad, but want to make sure he keeps his fluids up- should i just watch for wet nappies?

Thanks everyone

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Most bubs don't drink as much when they have a cold because of the congestion. Imagine having to suck all your drinks through a straw when you can't breathe through your nose - it would be exhausting. You probably wouldn't notice the decreased amount if you were breastfeeding. Just keep an eye on the nappies, and you could offer extra bottles between your usual times - you might find he'll take smaller more frequent amounts and be fine.

I panicked the first few times my daughter got a cold/cough/stuffed nose and made a lot of calls to the 1-800 health direct number to speak to the nurses there. A great resource as they'll talk you through the symptoms and particularly any change in symptoms and give you advice as to when bub needs to be seen by a dr or emergency. Chemists are also a good resource as someone has pointed out.

There are squeezy bulbs you can get to help clear snot out of bub's nose. Like a small turkey/chicken baster, lol. I never had much luck getting it to work. If you're not squeamish you can suck it out yourself but I never have. Vicks chest rubs applied sparingly at nap times & also the medicated room sprays have worked best for me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Funny you should mention the turkey baster lookalike. We just had a very interesting time trying to stick that up his nose- I think that upset him more than being congested LOL!

What is the 1800 health number? Would I find it in white pages?

Thanks so much for the reasurance
    Amy

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Health Direct: 1800 022 2222

Health Direct: 1800 022 2222

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Am I the only one who uses this!? It was in the front of my yellow baby book among the other help lines, but I'd used it before for other health questions.

I've always called from Western Australia but I think the # is nation wide. If not there may be an equivalent help number in your state you can call. It operates 24 hours a day. The health direct # is staffed by registered nurses who have always been very patient and helpful whenever I've called. They follow a set list of questions to work through the symptoms and suggest resolutions. I'm a first time mum with no family in Australia so called whenever something just didn't seem right but wasn't sure if I was over-reacting. Also useful for checking when you really DO need to get bub to the doctor asap.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hmmm. I must have had baby brain to not think to look in the blue baby book

That number appears to be for WA only. For NSW we look in phone book for Community Health Centre.

Bub is doing better than me and hubby has mastered the art of the booger extracter! And he thinks having his temperature taken is hilarious-

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mummajack

That number appears to be for WA only.
    Really? Wow, I guess I just assumed 1-800 numbers were national. I better stop recommending it!