Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    This is one of my assertions that breast milk is better than formula
    Nah really?! I did not know that!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ixnay View Post
    Nah really?! I did not know that!
    lol

I'm currently using Nan HA for my ds.. it has been a lot better with him than the karicare was for sure. karicare was great with my dd but it didn't agree with my ds.
    Never had any problem changing him over either re. taste, though he isn't very fussy when it comes to milk or bottles, as long as its going into his tummy he doesn't care

I noticed on the tin that nan ha now has bifidis in it too. And the poos on this formula are horrid, worse smell I have ever smelt from a ff bub and they are dark green

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeJ View Post
    http://www.askdrsears.com/html/0/T000100.asp

HYPOALLERGENIC FORMULAS
    (Alimentum, Nutramigen, Pregestamil)If you see the term "hypoallergenic" on the label, this means that the formula has been proven to cause fewer allergies in babies than standard formulas. Since, by definition, the term "allergy" implies a sensitivity to a protein, the term "hypoallergenic" means that the protein in the formula has been "hydrolyzed" or "predigested," broken down into tinier proteins that are less likely to cause allergic reactions. Consider these potential problems with hydrolyzed protein formulas.
    • The protein problem: In contrast to formulas that advertise "partially hydrolyzed protein," in these formulas the proteins need to be completely hydrolyzed or broken down into smaller parts in order for the label to carry the term "hypoallergenic." This requires intense processing that results in a bitter, almost unpalatable flavor, despite the high content of sweeteners. Tasting one of these formulas is enough to make any mother want to re-lactate.
    • The carbohydrate problem. When the protein is hydrolyzed, the lactose is also taken out of the milk, so the manufacturer has to add carbohydrates -- usually corn syrup, sucrose, corn starch, or even tapioca. As we described above, substituting other sugars for lactose may not be a good idea. Nor is it necessarily true that a baby with protein allergies will also be lactose intolerant.
    • The salt problem. Hypoallergenic formulas are 30 to 90 percent higher in salt.
    • The fat problem. The fat blend of Alimentum or Nutramigen is the same as found in each manufacturer's cow's-milk-based formulas, Similac and Enfamil, respectively. The primary fats in Pregestamil are medium-chain triglycerides, an intestinal-friendly fat that is used in children with fat malabsorption disorders. MCT's are a factory-made fat. They do not occur in nature, and they provide no essential fatty acids essential for a baby's growing brain and body. MCT's can be used as an energy supplement to boost weight gain in infants growing slowly. Yet, they should not be a baby's main fat source unless advised by your doctor. Pregestamil should not be given to healthy babies with no proven fat malabsorption disorders, or to infants with impaired liver function.
    • The price problem. The infant pays a high nutritional price for these formulas, and parents discover that hypoallergenic formulas are four to five times more expensive than standard formulas.
    Our conclusion: Hypoallergenic formulas should not be used without a doctor's recommendation, and then only if there is a definite medical reason. Don't switch to one of these formulas just because baby is "fussy" without trying different standard formulas first.

What do you think about this?? We are having problems with J, we tried him on the karicare ha ar, we have him on goats milk formula at the moment. I was under the impression that HA was great for them, has anyone seen similar info like this??

It is so hard to find independant info on formulas, and whats in them, its really frustrating me!
    I would like to know too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I noticed on the tin that nan ha now has bifidis in it too. And the poos on this formula are horrid, worse smell I have ever smelt from a ff bub and they are dark green
    Yeah DS2 has the same problem, his poohs are lethal. The smell can be REALLY bad and they are dark green too. But I have no other issues with NAN, the stuff just really works well with DS2. His putting weight on nicely and is a very happy baby now his not passing nuggets anymore.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    after trying everything, we went with nan ha, has been the best for ds. not sure if ha is bad for him, but it gets to a point where you will use anything that is working!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Guilty for Bottle feeding

Hi there,
    I am a Melbourne-based journalist writing a story for News Ltd's Sunday Magazine about some of the prejudices that still surround breastfeeding and bottlefeeding our babies. I'd love to hear from anyone who's bottlefeeding their bub and has experienced any prejudice or guilt about it. If you'd like to be involved in the story, please contact me at jane.hutchinson@optusnet.com.au./

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Temet Nosce~ View Post
    lol

I'm currently using Nan HA for my ds.. it has been a lot better with him than the karicare was for sure. karicare was great with my dd but it didn't agree with my ds.
    Never had any problem changing him over either re. taste, though he isn't very fussy when it comes to milk or bottles, as long as its going into his tummy he doesn't care

My son's poos are really smelly and green as well. He is on the same NAN formula, but he seems to like it and seems to be happy.... Apparently its the one thats closest to breast milk with the right protein balance in it, and is less likely to cause any problems.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Everyone,
    I wanted to write and let you know that I spoke to my doctor a month ago and she told me all about the reformulation of S26 Gold. I have been using it now for 6 weeks and it has been great! Well tolerated
    I asked her bout pre and pro biotics and she explained that S26 Gold does not add these as it already has a pre biotic effect and this has been shown in clinical trials. This is because of the Nucleotides, etc.
    She also explained that is now as reduced levels of protein and gives a rate of weight gain like a breast fed baby so it will not contribute to obesity later in my baby's life. With obesity on the rise they say a formula can influence long term outcomes and I don't want my baby to struggle with her weight or get picked on later in life.
    Karicare is shown to have the highest calorie content and is adding so much extra weight that I would never put my baby on it.
    I hope this new info helps new mums when choosing a formula as it really is important to give the best nutrition to our babies.

Thanks
    Reviews
    There is some serious misinformation in this post which has bothered me for a while and anyone reading should take into account when choosing which formula to give to their baby.

The section which says hydrolyzed milk (better known as HA formula) is best for babies is complete misinformation. The cows milk in HA formula is partially artificially broken down with the thought that doing so will minimize food allergy and intolerance. In actual fact, research from the CSIRO suggests that whole-milk proteins broken down naturally by babies digestion may play a significant role in growth, preventing infections and developing immunity. Further research conducted by the Murdoch Childrens Research Institute also found that HA formula does not reduce the allergy risk in susceptible children.

Do not take what you read in forums as 'gospel' - scientific research is far more reliable a source of information. The best formula for your baby to begin life with (if breastmilk isn't an option which very often is the case) is a whole milk formula.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Babymakin101 For This Useful Post:

ChickyBee (11-06-2013),Curlygirl77 (11-04-2013)